PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to defend against a knife attack

Ben Gash
07-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Seriously, what is wrong with people?????????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eVXL532uC0
So, first off, don't control the blade arm, then step in with the knife arm under yours, so he can stab you in the chest at leisure :rolleyes: Oh, and whatever you do, don't drop your shopping :rolleyes:

Chosen-frozen
07-13-2007, 02:15 AM
:eek::eek:I don`t speak any Chinese,so I`ll give his explanation of whatever principles he`s talking about the benefit of the doubt.....maybe he really does know Hsing-I....but ****!!! Talk about your Goldilocks Fu!!(If it ain`t juuuuussst right your ass deep in grizzlies)
That `s what happens when people who`ve never actually seen or experianced real violence try to imagine what it`s like and then think up counters to it.:(:(Sheeple believe that kind of stuff is possible and it gets them killed.

msg
07-13-2007, 05:39 AM
he kinda had the right idea if hit that hand with the knife away from you your able to get away from him and get out of there ..if you want to try to prove your self and control the knife hand well the go for it just remember you will allways be cut no matter what

Ben Gash
07-13-2007, 06:02 AM
What are you on about? He didn't run away, he stepped in and opened himself up to be killed. Not cut, KILLED. If he batted the knife away, stamped on his knee and run, OK, I coulda gone with that.

gwa sow
07-13-2007, 06:35 AM
anyone check out the "kung fu vs yoga" that was on the little side bar there. the guy is like gumby.

xcakid
07-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Ya know, I have taken 3 KF styles now, and I have yet to find any effective knife techniques in any of the systems. That's why I do Arnis to augment my training.

Of in that first scenario where a guy just walks up to you that can be quite difficult. Most of us are going to be distracted as we walk down the street. Be it thinking about a late appointment, a problem we are having or perhaps a young hottie walking in front of us.

Eh.

BruceSteveRoy
07-13-2007, 07:09 AM
yeah that was awful. if you have the presence of mind and the reflexes to slap that hand away why would you step in to him with both arms extended out basically giving him your belly, chest and throat?

Knifefighter
07-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Seriously, what is wrong with people?????????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eVXL532uC0
So, first off, don't control the blade arm, then step in with the knife arm under yours, so he can stab you in the chest at leisure :rolleyes: Oh, and whatever you do, don't drop your shopping :rolleyes:

You are right. That is a great way to get stabbed in the chest. Normally, I would say at least some kind of defense is better than nothing... but not in this case.

cjurakpt
07-13-2007, 07:35 AM
as none of you speak Chinese, obviously you all missed the part about him explaning how you eminate QI from your left pectoral region in order to paralyze the assailant's entire right side...

why I waste my time explaning things to you peopple, I'll never know...

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-13-2007, 07:38 AM
I have not done much knife work, but, If one had the reflexes to slap the knife away, would it not be better to grab the arm, turn away from him so his elbow gets jambed into some sort of standing arm bar to controll the knife hand?

cjurakpt
07-13-2007, 07:57 AM
yeah that was awful. if you have the presence of mind and the reflexes to slap that hand away why would you step in to him with both arms extended out basically giving him your belly, chest and throat?

exactly; if you do manage to slap the hand away across the opponent's body, that's not necissarilly terrible because at least you did manage to avoid the initial attack and if you slapped it away hard enough it might buy an extra half-second while he restablishes orientation to his own center-line before following with a second attack; however, in terms of any follow-up on your part, since you were unable to establish control at all of the knife arm and now have even less of a chance to do so because you deflected the arm away from you creating a lot of space (='s more variables for second attack) your best option is to use the space you created and actually increase it - meaning that you should turn your body in the direction of your own slap (here it would be to the right), and then run like he11 in the exact opposite direction of the opponent...

Mano Mano
07-13-2007, 08:29 AM
exactly; if you do manage to slap the hand away across the opponent's body, that's not necissarilly terrible because at least you did manage to avoid the initial attack and if you slapped it away hard enough it might buy an extra half-second while he restablishes orientation to his own center-line before following with a second attack; however, in terms of any follow-up on your part, since you were unable to establish control at all of the knife arm and now have even less of a chance to do so because you deflected the arm away from you creating a lot of space (='s more variables for second attack) your best option is to use the space you created and actually increase it - meaning that you should turn your body in the direction of your own slap (here it would be to the right), and then run like he11 in the exact opposite direction of the opponent...

cjurakpt if you don't mind me adding that there’s also the chance as he’s not controlling the knife arm he going to get slashed by accident as the attacker travels backward.

golden arhat
07-13-2007, 08:41 AM
to be fair

that guy would not have been able to "run" away from the attacker

could he ?

xcakid
07-13-2007, 08:42 AM
to be fair

could he ?

Not very fast, I would assume.

WinterPalm
07-13-2007, 08:54 AM
The best way to train for knife defense is to catalogue a series of attack scenarios, types of slashes/stabs, etc. Use techniques that are comfortable for you and very closely resemble the motor skills developed by your training. Then have the person attack you very aggressively without any prearranged attacks...ie free flow. The best thing you can do in kung fu is get taken out of your comfort zone.

golden arhat
07-13-2007, 08:57 AM
The best way to train for knife defense is to catalogue a series of attack scenarios, types of slashes/stabs, etc. Use techniques that are comfortable for you and very closely resemble the motor skills developed by your training. Then have the person attack you very aggressively without any prearranged attacks...ie free flow. The best thing you can do in kung fu is get taken out of your comfort zone.

the best thing u can
do is buy a bigger knife

crocodile dundee style

TenTigers
07-13-2007, 09:11 AM
one thing I learned from my brief experience with Sayoc Kali, is that "Instincts will get you killed." This means that our instinctive reactions usually put us in a bad angle or situation when dealing with a knife, especially in the hands of someone with even a smattering of experieince. "Correct Response" is learned, then drilled ad nauseum, which is why the templates and transition drills in Sayoc Kali, and the passing drills in Pekita Tirsia, as well as other FMA, are stressed to such a high degree. Many of these moves are found within your TCMA forms-whether that was actually their original intention is debatable-(here is where we can launch into a sh!tload of threads about FMA knifefighting in TCMA, like the grappling in TCMA bullsh!t...which would be cool. We definately don't have nearly enough idiots on this forum, time for fresh meat..) But I suggest everyone who is at all interested in being able to defend against a blade, study a bit of FMA. Justas in grappling-a reasonable handle on the basics, gives you an incredible edge over those who don't do it.

cjurakpt
07-13-2007, 09:15 AM
cjurakpt if you don't mind me adding that there’s also the chance as he’s not controlling the knife arm he going to get slashed by accident as the attacker travels backward.
of course that's possible, but being slashed on an extremity while the blade is travelling somewhat away from you is probably a lot better than being stabbed in the torso while moving its moving towards you...
again, don't get me wrong - it certainly is better to gain immediate control of the arm, but in the event you don't but do manage an effective redirection, then you have to deal with the fact that you've created space within a danger zone, which significantly increases the number of variables that you have to deal with, so instead of having to work against the odds and try to gain control, I think it's better to work with the space you created and increase it as much as possible and run (assuming it's actually an option, of course); actually, if anyone disagrees about this, I'd be open to arguments why it is not a good idea...

to be fair
could he ?
scenario specifics will always influence, of course - in that case, TBH, the whole situation seems pretty contrived, so I'm not sure it's worth discussing, but yes, it would appear that he would not be able to do so; certainly, it's possible in general that you won't be able to outrun the attacker, but in general I think it's a better tactic than trying to gain control on a freely moving armed individual in that particular range...

Mas Judt
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Then drink water afterward to see where all the holes are...

BruceSteveRoy
07-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Then drink water afterward to see where all the holes are...

nice to see i am not the only person that wishes life worked like it does in cartoons. i always wanted to take a giant mallet and hammer someone flat and watch them pop up again. thats just me though.