PDA

View Full Version : jkd wing chun basics?

frosh2786
03-02-2001, 06:16 AM
can i learn wing chun basics from jkd? i would like to reinforce basics then learn wing chun from videos.

Paul Sharp
03-02-2001, 07:30 AM
Call me crazy but..., If I wanted to learn Wing Chun I would try to find a Wing Chun instructor.

Hop over to the W/C forum, tell them where you live and if they know of any W/C instructors in your area.

Videos will only take you so far.

-Paul Sharp

www.straightblastgymillinois.com (http://www.straightblastgymillinois.com)

Certificates don't count, Performance does...

DragonzRage
03-05-2001, 11:06 PM
As Paul said, if learning wing chun is your goal, you are of course better off going to a wing chun school. That being said, there is a fair amount of wing chun influence in Jun Fan, but you are not going to learn wing chun techniques in such a way that a wing chun sifu will regard as proper wing chun gung fu. For example, the Jun Fan footwork, entry techniques and trapping range applications are vastly different from wing chun. I'll say that you will definitely get a "feel" for wing chun and a really good idea of how certain aspects of wing chun work, but that doesn't change the fact that Jun Fan and Wing Chun are too very different animals. You should learn Jun fan for Jun Fan (or JKD) and you should learn wing chun for wing chun. Don't learn Jun Fan for Wing Chun :D

"Going out and learning from other people and not being scared of learning things that you don't know is the key."
-Tito Ortiz