PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference between a good teacher & a good "fighter"?

WoodenYummy
07-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm new to this post, but have been doing WC for several years now and I have a question to pose to you all. Many of the posts seem to judge a Teachers merit by his ability to "kick some a**", particularly in the MMA context... Does anyone believe there could be such a thing as a good teacher, who may not be the best fighter? I ask becasue my 1st Sifu was just the opposite, one incredible martial artist, to cross hands with him was an amazing experience, but his teaching method was not the best by any stretch, just curious what all you WC folks think on this matter. Thanks in advance for your input.

jesper
07-17-2007, 02:37 PM
In order to teach you need to have at least a basic fighting skill. But I dont think the best fighters usually becomes the best teachers as it requires a totally different mindset.
Most top fighters I have experienced simply didnt have the patience or will to spend countless hours repeating the same basic stuff to inexperienced trainees. They would rather spend those hours becoming better fighters.
Vice versa most really good teachers I have seen didnt have that drive to become really good fighters.

Another thing is that in order to become a really good teacher you really need to know all the how and why of the technics your demonstrating. A good fighter "just" needs to be able to apply them in the right contex.

But ofcourse there are probably many excamples of great fighters becoming good teachers throughout history:D

VingDragon
07-17-2007, 03:27 PM
that's true, above.

young fighters becomes a great teachers usualy in older age and/or 'vice versa'

:)

I give you example taken from my ex-country:

to become a martial arts instructor/teacher you have to be experienced in the art. at least 7-10 years of practice and level similar to 4th Karate Dan Degree. Then if you want to open any school, you must attend a course for the recreational activity and get a teacher degree as you will lead a group of students. The course takes few intensive weeks of theories: biology, anatomy, chemistry, sport issue etc. Its very hard and not easy to pass exam. Its a government regulation and not everyone is allowed to become a teacher or coach.
After that, there is only hard work with the people and nonstop practice and practice. Life experience

Lindley
07-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Suppose you have never had a fight in your life. Does this mean you have to go looking for one to be on your "resume" to establish yourself as a good teacher?

A "good" teacher does not "need" any fighting experience to do their job. Their job is to help you achieve your goals through the Kung Fu training and Kung Fu does not always mean leaning how to fight. A good Sifu should acknowledge that they have some students who wish to test their skills, martially. Even so, no one can "teach you how to fight". Fighting takes courage, will, and skill amongst other things that must be developed by the individual. The teacher can only be a "guide" to provide you with the tools and challenges to help you learn what you need. What you do with it is up to you.

If you want to fight in MMA tournaments, then go to a gym or club where they teach this. If your job requires you to use your fighting skills (i.e. security), there are still other aspects of this training far beyond just throwing punches and kicks.
The Kung Fu training becomes your core. Then you can go to the appropriate channels to fine tune your eventual involvement.

My Sifu's fighting ability is documented and well known. However, his teacher was not known as a "fighter" at all.

In Kung Fu, reputation of producing well respected good students is a better indicator of a teacher's qualifications.

Good luck with your kung fu...

sanjuro_ronin
07-18-2007, 10:58 AM
If you look at the great boxing coaches you will see that not all of them were champs and some where just 'average", but they ALL fought.

If you are gonna teach/coach a fighting system, you must have pratical fighting experience or else, what are you teaching ?