PDA

View Full Version : Sam Chien in Bak Mei?

The Xia
07-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Is there a Sam Chien form in Bak Mei? Does Jik Bo Kuen or Sam Mun Kuen fit that category?

Yum Cha
07-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Is there a Sam Chien form in Bak Mei? Does Jik Bo Kuen or Sam Mun Kuen fit that category?

There have been some parallels drawn between some elements of Pak Mei and the lessons of Sam Chien. Same fundamentals, different exercises, same skills.

More or less...

The Xia
07-17-2007, 10:53 PM
There have been some parallels drawn between some elements of Pak Mei and the lessons of Sam Chien. Same fundamentals, different exercises, same skills.

More or less...
Thanks. I ask this because I see those fundamentals and skills in Bak Mei, but have not heard of Bak Mei having a Sam Chien form. I mentioned the Sam Mun Kuen as a possibility because of the name "3 doors." I was wondering if it possibly had any relation to "3 battles" (Sam Chien). I also mentioned Jik Bo Kuen because I know it's a core form if I'm not mistaken (and the first of the four original forms taught... if I'm not mistaken).

Yum Cha
07-17-2007, 11:31 PM
I think it was Eric Ling that had a thread going on sountern white crane, what is it, fujian bai he? Something like that.

There were links to several Sam Chien clips, and other fundamental skills.

Pak Mei's "3 step" is really Jik Bo, Saam Mun is really quite different.

The Xia
07-19-2007, 09:58 PM
I think it was Eric Ling that had a thread going on sountern white crane, what is it, fujian bai he? Something like that.
There were links to several Sam Chien clips, and other fundamental skills.
Yeah, he has showcased a nice assortment of Fujian Kung Fu in his videos. You can see many similarities between Fujian Kung Fu and Bak Mei. For one, both Bak Mei and every Fujian style I have seen is shorthand.

Pak Mei's "3 step" is really Jik Bo, Saam Mun is really quite different.
So you don't think that Saam Mun has any relation with Sam Chien? But perhaps Jik Bo Kuen does?

spaced
07-20-2007, 06:50 AM
I study the White Crane and Tiger Kungfu combination and I can confrim that it does have the "3 wars" or "3 battles", it is called San Zhan

Yum Cha
07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah, he has showcased a nice assortment of Fujian Kung Fu in his videos. You can see many similarities between Fujian Kung Fu and Bak Mei. For one, both Bak Mei and every Fujian style I have seen is shorthand.

So you don't think that Saam Mun has any relation with Sam Chien? But perhaps Jik Bo Kuen does?

Yes, Saam Mun, 3 gates, is about attacking the three gates/doors whatever. Sam chien is more about energies from what I understand.