PDA

View Full Version : Year Training/Studying in China - Questions

AWK
07-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

This is my first time on this forum. I saw this site, and figured that it might be a helpful place for a few questions.

I am planning a trip to China a year or so away. I would like to study perhaps all Shaolin kung fu, perhaps some combination of Shaolin kung fu study and Chinese language (spoken and preferably written as well). However, the research I have done has been troubling. The cost for a year-long program, as described by Matt Polly for instance, seems to be around $10,000 at least, which for me is a ton, and very difficult to obtain/save up. Are there other programs not so costly which are good?

Also, I read online about a program: http://www.shaolins.com/ - Is this at all legitimate? The cost is only around $5,000 which is much more in my league, but I see that it is mostly for foreigners, not Chinese, and I don't want to feel scammed. But I won't deny that the program of the 3+ hours daily of Kung Fu study, taught (allegedly) by Shaolin/former Shaolin monks is tempting, especially when partnered with the Mandarin Language Certification and study they offer.

Does anyone here have personal experience with this program? Do they know anyone who went or have heard about anyone who went? What's the reputation? (I know it's not as hardcore as the school Polly attended, but I don't need superhardcore, just don't want to be scammed or have my time wasted - keep in mind, though, I am a beginner, just starting training now, so will have only a year experience when I leave for China).

Thank you for your help and your time. It is greatly appreciated.

-AWK

sanjuro_ronin
07-18-2007, 12:42 PM
I have one question:
Why ?

AWK
07-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Why do I want to go study kung fu?

A few reasons, some of which are hard to describe.

There is a discipline, physical and mental, that many kung fu practitioners have which I wish to train and develop. There is something about myself that I want to develop through training. Also, much of China, the north particularly, also seems very beautiful and I wish to spend time there and learn more about the culture. The language itself is both beautiful to see, hear, and is useful, and I want to learn more.

There also are other reasons, difficult to put into words, but I hope this is helpful.

-AWK

B-Rad
07-19-2007, 07:07 AM
I think his point is that you can most likely study kungfu of equal or better quality someplace much closer to home for much less. There's not much reason to go to China solely for kungfu training, unless maybe if it's to visit someone your teacher would like you to visit or something along those lines. It is a good place to visit though for experiencing another culture, and if you know the language. If you don't know Chinese martial arts already, don't know the language, and don't have any connections, you probably won't get any more out of it from a martial arts perspective than taking lessons at a local wushu school (and it'll be more expensive).

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Why do I want to go study kung fu?

A few reasons, some of which are hard to describe.

There is a discipline, physical and mental, that many kung fu practitioners have which I wish to train and develop. There is something about myself that I want to develop through training. Also, much of China, the north particularly, also seems very beautiful and I wish to spend time there and learn more about the culture. The language itself is both beautiful to see, hear, and is useful, and I want to learn more.

There also are other reasons, difficult to put into words, but I hope this is helpful.

-AWK

If you wanna go for the culture or the "ambiance", great, don't think that it will matter in terms of the quality of the kung fu you will learn.

AWK
07-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Ah, I understand what you're saying.

Yes, I see that in the U.S., at the beginner level in particular, the level of instruction is the same. However, while studying martial arts is something I've been interested in, immersing myself in Chinese language and culture is something else I wish to do, and I was looking to plan a trip that allows me to throw myself into the Chinese language while simultaneously developing the discipline that comes from immersion in kung fu study.

B-Rad
07-19-2007, 07:48 AM
If you have an interest in language, you might want to think about going through one of the universities. I imagine their language programs are better, and they often have basic wushu programs (which would be pretty much the same as what any of the "Shaolin" schools would offer at a beginer level). Or you could then scout the local schools. Have you taken any Chinese courses at home yet? If you can find one at home to start off with, you might have an easier time.