PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for good kung fu Sparring DVDs

Paul T England
07-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Hi All,

Ok, some great kung fu teachers out there, lots of great dvds teaching forms, applications and even some practical drills. Any suggestions on good dvds which show progressive sparring drills leading to full sparring?

Traditional kung fu / sanda preferred....by as stuff is hard to come by I might be desperate enough for mma/ kickboxing stuff.

The best I have come across are Straight blast stuff and Duncan Leung's for wing chun.

Paul

MasterKiller
07-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Get LKFMDCs DVDs:

http://sanda-mma.com/

The Punching and Clinching one covers a lot of material in one DVD, but the others give more detail.

bodhitree
07-19-2007, 07:29 AM
www.martialartsmart.com

Ben Gash
07-19-2007, 08:29 AM
I'd recommend LKFMDC'S (in fact San Da vol 1 arrived this morning :D Gonna do that parry/cover flow tonight).
Sadly there is very little on sparring as such available, although there is some cool application stuff such as these
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/cdvd/cdvdcoll_wanlaisheng2.htm
The real problem is that there's a shortage of materials showing the transition between training apps to sparring. This is where kickboxers and MMA peeps have a real edge, they have lots of "live" drills that feed into sparring.
As part of my "progressive trad" agenda I'm working on this, but I won't be able to produce any DVDs for a few years ;)

Ben Gash
07-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Also, don't write off MMA stuff, look for stuff that teaches the skills you want.
There are really good products available on stuff like closing the gap and clinching which are all transferrable to CMA.

Paul T England
07-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have a couple of the David Ross DVDs and they are excellent but at least the ones I have are more single techniques/drills and like Ben said its the link between basics/drills and forms into free sparring.

I really like matt thorntons stuff but the only stand up stuff is really just boxing drills which although good I feel dont fit well with my northern mantis. I do use jab v jab sparring etc. but trying to link it all together is a challenge, especially with a bit of safety for the students and not going into kickboxing mode.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

mantis108
07-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have a couple of the David Ross DVDs and they are excellent but at least the ones I have are more single techniques/drills and like Ben said its the link between basics/drills and forms into free sparring.

I really like matt thorntons stuff but the only stand up stuff is really just boxing drills which although good I feel dont fit well with my northern mantis. I do use jab v jab sparring etc. but trying to link it all together is a challenge, especially with a bit of safety for the students and not going into kickboxing mode.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

I am not sure which line of mantis you are from but there are quite a bit of drills you can incorporated into Matt Thorntons' Straight Blast Gym frame work if that is the route your are undertaking.

If you are from the HK LGY's 7 star line, you have the 14 Tan Tui that you can work with the SBG frame work.

If you are from the Greater Mei Hua line, there are numerous of single moves that you can pick from. The most common few being the one step three punches, 5 punches, Yuanyang Jiao (mandarin duck kick), etc...

Just a thought

Warm regards

Mantis108

monji112000
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi All,

Ok, some great kung fu teachers out there, lots of great dvds teaching forms, applications and even some practical drills. Any suggestions on good dvds which show progressive sparring drills leading to full sparring?

Traditional kung fu / sanda preferred....by as stuff is hard to come by I might be desperate enough for mma/ kickboxing stuff.

The best I have come across are Straight blast stuff and Duncan Leung's for wing chun.

Paul

NYC Sanda has some good training methods for aliveness.. but its best to learn by doing. So I would suggest visit a gym over buying a DVD. Bas Rutten has some cool stuff. Allot of DVDs have bits and peaces of useful things you can adapt.
You can't learn to fight or spar from Sigung Duncan's DVDs. They are more of a overview and reference.
You can adapt whatever your style to some basic idea... but hey this is why you should be a master of "teaching" if you start teaching.. JMO!

Lam Tong Long
07-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure about DVD's but if you wanted to spare an afternoon I could show you some of our progressive san sau methods that lead into free sparring.

They might fit with what you do better (being Kung Fu methodology).

Regards.

rogue
07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Get LKFMDCs DVDs:

http://sanda-mma.com/

The Punching and Clinching one covers a lot of material in one DVD, but the others give more detail.

Second that. I was just watching the six gates and basic counters video yesterday for a refresher.

Ben Gash
07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
I put that leglock counter on someone tonight :D He screamed :D:D:D

Paul T England
07-20-2007, 04:39 AM
Thanks guys for your responses.

I am from LKW line in Northern Mantis and have found the SBG stuff to be very useful, espcially for cross stamp kick and door shutting kick applications. I have the NY SanDa dvd re punching & clinching and really liked the scooping arm drills to get into clinch. Love the way david relates everything back to Chinese martial arts principles.

Although duncan leung's dvds don't teach free sparring some of the drills are really helpful. I was taugh the circle type drills many years ago but i like the way duncan does them with set techniques. I think they are essential dvds for a wing chun man.

John, I wish I had a spare afternoon as the san da drills sound very interesting.

Keep on training guys.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

Ben Gash
07-21-2007, 01:04 AM
I was thinking last night, if you do 7 star, then try looking at MMA stuff on punching from the collar tie, and using underhooks and overhooks. You'll be surprised how much looks familiar.