PDA

View Full Version : The initiative and what it means to you

Sifu Darkfist
07-19-2007, 10:20 PM
lets talk about some mantid strategy, what does take the initiative mean to you?
we can be specific or theoretical.

James

Sifu Darkfist
07-19-2007, 10:22 PM
this might be a weak start to a thread but what i am interested in is others ideas of what good are good entry techniques.
I am going to start with the jab

mantis108
07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
this might be a weak start to a thread but what i am interested in is others ideas of what good are good entry techniques.
I am going to start with the jab

Jab only poses a problem if it is boxing rules and regulations. If clinching is allowed, it really isn't that big a deal. If you are allowed to grab/grapple/wrestle/chin na, you properly won't see much of it anyways. BTW, a little defanging goes a long way so... Also taking out the lead leg drastically reduce the effectiveness of the jab so by all means bash it with inside or outside shine kicks.

Warm regards

Mantis108

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2007, 12:44 PM
There are two basic schools of Entering:

Enter, period.
Enter as he moves, sort of the "jeet" principle of intercept, but based on initiation rather than reaction.

-N-
07-20-2007, 01:21 PM
lets talk about some mantid strategy, what does take the initiative mean to you?
we can be specific or theoretical.

We've been working on this with students lately. It's less about technique than it is about attitude or spirit. That is, as long as you are not initiating with structurally slow movements like bung chui or huen chui.

To take the initiative is to pre-empt the opponent and kill him.

N.

TaichiMantis
07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
I've come in with a circle block hook disguised as a jab and moved the guard hand enough to get a good head shot in.

BeiTangLang
07-20-2007, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=-

To take the initiative is to pre-empt the opponent and kill him.

N.[/QUOTE]

Thats about as concise as you can get. That is my mantis theory in a nut-shell.
If you have the intent to take an oponent out,....there is no reason to wait.

Sifu Darkfist
07-21-2007, 05:08 AM
actually i should clarify, to me a jab is an action taken with a weapon that is closest to a target. it can be the eye gouge, or a kick with the front leg, etc.
these moves have proven harder to stop in my experience and set up a nice roll for the completion of the combination.

I try to get the head to snap back on him or down (in the case of the low kick.
if it snaps back it allows a lower attack without a feint if it drops forward it allows a ko punch or somthing else that allows maximum exertion.

sort of like a lever. newbies try pushing lightly on your friends forehead and watch his gut come out, or push his gut and watch the head drop.

MightyB
07-21-2007, 02:30 PM
It's just something I've been working on-

I'm not so aggressive anymore, lately I've concentrated on "jou bo" stance, footwork, and position so that I can "creep" into my opponent"s range. I try to get close enough to establish forearm contact- but the trick is to do it without provoking my partner too much so I don't have to fend off a bunch of tae kwon do-ish kicks and half-hearted punches- or making them run.

Once I establish forearm contact- I just try a bunch-o-stuff. Mainly "tou sau" (intercepting hand) stuff to maneuver my opponent or myself into positions of advantage. I do try to make the first move when I establish contact, but I don't like to throw a bunch of jabbing kicks or punches prior to that. I bridge by footwork and body movement- not lead kicks or punches.

I wasn't always this way, and it may be a phase- but I do like this approach right now.

Oso
07-22-2007, 03:39 PM
i like to slide my front foot inside thier 'reaction distance' line and then just shift inside instead of a big foot movement to get inside. then, I pretty much just have my way with them and don't even call them the next day. :cool:

Michael Dasargo
07-23-2007, 01:31 AM
"Stealing the Initiative" is a principle that forces the opponent to make preparatory movements before engaging the enemy.

M.Dasargo

Tony Puyot
07-30-2007, 02:14 PM
To bridge or enter we concern ourselves with two things. The techniques used should be effective and executed minimizing your exposure and the principle that allows you to enter. (Bridge critical distance)

The principle is a method of taking the move of the enemy. This prevents him from using a counter attack. Examples of these principles would include Fakes, Faints, distraction, timing, controlling, plucking and the list goes on. These strategies will enable you to use whatever techniques you like.

T. Puyot
San Diego, Ca.

Onjer
07-31-2007, 07:54 AM
In 8-Step, the first strike never one meant to take the opponent out. Most strikes and kicks are from a block, supposing the opponent initiated.

There is a movement in the moving steps meant draw an opponent in and then take him out. There are several in the forms that cause him to move his head back and then WHAM, hook to the temple when he comes back in, etc.

Pilot
07-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Very interesting responses so far. I really like BeiTangLang’s comment about why wait (LOL!). I believe the lead-in is directly proportional to our personality and age.

EarthDragon
08-07-2007, 05:59 PM
To read the opponets YI and react on it before they can transfer intent to phsyical movment........... when one reaches this point, this is when my shrfu said I would be a great fighter!

that to me in taking the initative