PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thing Happend In Class Today

wiz cool c
07-19-2007, 11:05 PM
About three weeks ago three new guys started comming to my Shuai Jiao class. All 20 years old. One guy with one year of Kung Fu and a bit of an attitude. Other guy is kinda big never trained before. Third guy I don't know but he just sits on the side dosn't practice.

Ok so the first week I spar the biger guy with no training who was walking around with his chest up like a strong man. My teacher tells him to put on a jacket and we wrestle for about ten minutes. I've been training here for over a year so I could throw him no big deal.

THe next week I train with the guy who has done kung fu for one year. Now on his first day there he's jumping into splits. I guess he wants everyone to know he is a badass. So we are working on a throw, one guys does it the other allows himself to be thrown and he throws me on my head and walks away like he showed that he is better then me. Two days latter I got to spar hem and throw him about 5 times in three minutes. His kung fu training has helped him with balance though he was not so easy to throw.

Then yesterday the guy who never trains is practicing and give me a correction. Now this guy has seen me throw around his friends and the teens I usually spar and has the nerve to correct me without knowing anything. So he has a jacket on today and is practicing some grabs with another guy. Then he walks up to me and tells me to play that game where you touch palms and see who can slap the others first. I say no lets wrestle and so we start and I throw him once. He gets up kinda scared now and we start again I throw him again nice one lands him flat on his back. Now he's making some excuse in chinese why he can't continue so I let him off the hook. But man can you believe some people. No training and giving correction and in a sport like Shuai jiao where you know you will have to face the guy eventualy.

Iron_Eagle_76
07-20-2007, 05:43 AM
It seems there is a douche bag born every minute, and eventually they will come to your martial arts class. Props to you for showing him without really hurting him. Personally I feel if you go to someone's class and act like a hard a** you should not belly ache when someone puts you in your place. It's the nature of some people, I wouldn't worry about it. And yes, it does pi*S me off when someone green tries to instruct me, but hey, people are stupid!

wiz cool c
07-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Ent that the truth.

Three Harmonies
07-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Sounds like to me the teacher needs to step in and do something!
Don't sweat the idiots bro! Just keep training.

Oso
07-22-2007, 01:00 PM
um, wiz, I hate to rain on your parade but it's actually sounding like you are the one with the ego.

you should not let the antics of younger classmates bother you. if you can drop them at will then that should be enough action without talk

smile understandingly like the buddha you are and drop them as necessary. no need for talking about it.

:D

wiz cool c
07-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Sounds like to me the teacher needs to step in and do something!
Don't sweat the idiots bro! Just keep training.

The main coaches wheren't there the last day when the guy gave me a correction. Just Shi Lao Shi young teacher 23 I think. But he did say something to him at the end of class but my chinese is so limited I didn't understand it.

wiz cool c
07-22-2007, 06:29 PM
um, wiz, I hate to rain on your parade but it's actually sounding like you are the one with the ego.

you should not let the antics of younger classmates bother you. if you can drop them at will then that should be enough action without talk

smile understandingly like the buddha you are and drop them as necessary. no need for talking about it.

:D

A guy with no training giving a correction seems insane to me. I'm not suppose to put him in his place. This is a wrestling class.

Oso
07-22-2007, 06:45 PM
I didn't say that, did I?

check him and move on. feeling like you need to check him is not worthy.

besides...was his correction correct? :)

Fu-Pow
07-22-2007, 07:02 PM
All I have to say is thank god that you do sparring in your school. We had so many *******es come down to my old kung fu school and claim that they knew something....problem is we had a pretty non-existent sparring program so this kind of stuff could go unchecked indefinitely.

It was only when myself and another classmate started getting people to spar that egos got checked.

Way to put the newb in his place.

FP

wiz cool c
07-22-2007, 10:13 PM
All I have to say is thank god that you do sparring in your school. We had so many *******es come down to my old kung fu school and claim that they knew something....problem is we had a pretty non-existent sparring program so this kind of stuff could go unchecked indefinitely.

It was only when myself and another classmate started getting people to spar that egos got checked.

Way to put the newb in his place.

FP

Fu pow it's funny you say that because when I used to study Bujinkan the same **** used to happen all the time. I even once had a white belt correct me when I was a black belt. That's why I take a privet Bagua class when not doing Shuai jiao.

SevenStar
07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
A guy with no training giving a correction seems insane to me. I'm not suppose to put him in his place. This is a wrestling class.

sure it's stupid - such is life. but when he does finally spar and he gets tossed around, everyone he was giving corrections to will see it and the problem takes care of itself.

Oso had a good point though - was the correction correct? There are guys who cannot fight to save their lives, but at the same time do have an aptitude for teaching and noticing flaws in another guy's technique.

wiz cool c
07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
How can a guy with no training be qualified to give corrections. I've been doing martial arts for 20 years. Even if what I was doing might look wrong maybe there is a reason I'm doing it that way. Maybe it is because I'm 36 years old and I don't want to injure my back. There's just no way for him to know how to correct some one if he has never trained.

I think this is the problem with martail arts. I can't believe anyone would justify this kind of behavior.

Oso
07-23-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm not debating his action so much as your reaction. Checking him while sparring to show him he's got a lot to learn is ok...whining about him correcting you is not.

and you still haven't answered my question. :)

SanHeChuan
07-23-2007, 07:43 PM
One of the hard things about starting over at a new school, with new rank, is suppressing my teachers instinct.

Sometimes I just can't hold back. The only time people don't seem put off is when I don't have my belt on. Some people recognize though. :cool:

Oso
07-23-2007, 07:57 PM
I had a hard time myself when I trained jujitsu a few years back. I was excited and had a hard time suppressing my .02

luckily I was tolerated and learned from the experience. ;)

wiz cool c
07-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Oso I did answer your question. What he corrected me on I was doing a certain way for a reason which he could not understand because he has no experence teaching or training.

Oso
07-23-2007, 08:09 PM
ok, I see. But, you didn't answer it directly but by way of another question.

I'll agree that an experienced teacher might be able to tell if someone is compensating for an injury while doing a technique but would his correction have been correct in a 'by the book' sense?

stonewarrior67
07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Wiz Cool C,
I Loved Your You Tube Posts. That's Gotta Be Really Cool To Train Over There. You Guys Need Some Mats!!! What's That On The Floor Tarp Paper?? Anything Underneath It??? Doesnt Appear To Give Much.
I Know You Were Not Whining But Relating An Experience. Some People Here Act Like They Are Know It Alls And Try To Turn Everything Around Instead Of Making A Cool Enviroment To Post On. Dont Worry About It. When I Read Your Original Post The First Thing I Thought That There Is Racism In The Martial Arts, Always Has Been, Always Will Be. Since You Are White The Orientals Might Not Like Taking Any Direction From You And Think They Know More About A Martial Arts Subject Just Because They Are Oriental Even Though They Know Nothing About It. Others Have Said This In National Magazines And Were Accused Of Bringing About The End Of Time Itself. Just A Thought On Your Particular Incident.
Keep Training Hard And Post Somemore Stuff On You Tube And Thanks!

Oso
07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
****...you must have the fastest, strongest pinkies on that there internet. :D

wiz cool c
07-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi stonewarrior67 the mats are ok they have padding under them. Yes I think you are right about the Chinese/American thing. But the guys I usally train with are all real nice people. we get along very well. They don't even know my real name just my chinese name Hu Ke.

SevenStar
07-23-2007, 10:12 PM
How can a guy with no training be qualified to give corrections. I've been doing martial arts for 20 years. Even if what I was doing might look wrong maybe there is a reason I'm doing it that way. Maybe it is because I'm 36 years old and I don't want to injure my back. There's just no way for him to know how to correct some one if he has never trained.

I think this is the problem with martail arts. I can't believe anyone would justify this kind of behavior.

it's not really about justifying what he did, it's about what you are doing. I've been in similar situations. In sparring, just do your thing your way, beat him and move on. No need to say anything about it, no need to get upset or irritated.

wiz cool c
07-24-2007, 05:01 AM
good addvice sevenstar

Fuzzly
07-24-2007, 07:28 AM
I might have read your post wrong, but from what I gathered the guy who "corrected" you was the "third guy", correct? The only you didn't know?

With the information you gave us in the thread, you don't know him. You hadn't seen him practice. For all you know he could have been training since he was walking.

I do understand how frustrating it is to be told how to do something by someone who may not know what they are doing. Heck, at my job I get told how to do something 3 different ways by three different people.

Maybe instead of throwing him around and showing him just how much more you know, you should take a step back and think, "why would he correct me?" Even ask him. Either you did/do need to be corrected (I do hope he did it politely!), and therefore you both win, because you get to fix something and he gets to practice (mentally!), or you didn't need to be corrected. In that case, you get to teach him!

Unfortunately it sounds to me like your ego got in the way a little bit. Re-read your original post. Did either of the first two people bite you? Because it looks like instead of "The curse of the werewolf" you got infected with "the curse of the ego."

=)

stonewarrior67
07-24-2007, 07:41 AM
I Read Wiz's Post A Third Time And Did Not Read Or Get A Hint Of Any Ego Trip. He Was Relating An Irritating Situation That He Had With Three Guys.
Hey Wiz, How Much Are Those Fancy Sc Jackets? Do They Make 'em To Fit A Guy Who Wears A 52 Suite?

Fuzzly
07-24-2007, 07:50 AM
/shrug, I could always be seeing more than what's there. But seeing as how until he touched hands with the third guy he had no idea of his skill, comment like "had the nerve to correct me" definitely shows some ego.

Why did #3 want to play the slap-hand game?

Now, as for the first two guys, well, to me it sounds like they definitely needed an ego-deflater, to which the op supplied very well.

wiz cool c
07-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi stonewarrior67 the jackets are quite cheap here. I was thinking of doing some kind of export business. I don't know about the size. The one I got is the biggest
I think should fit a big guy. Might be a little snug.

Fuzzly. I have seen him do a few solo exercises and he looked like he was a brand new beginner. Also he always looked scared, and in my mind I was like ok not everyone is a fighter. And when I sparred him I could also tell he new nothing and had no training.

Fuzzly
07-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Fuzzly. I have seen him do a few solo exercises and he looked like he was a brand new beginner. Also he always looked scared, and in my mind I was like ok not everyone is a fighter. And when I sparred him I could also tell he new nothing and had no training.

Ok. I thought you had said you didn't know him. I took that to mean you didn't know his ability. This changes the situation somewhat. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Have you considered helping any of these individuals out after you popped their ego balloon? I bet they'd be much more willing to learn from/get help from you. That way they will at least be a little more challenging if they need a check again. =)

wiz cool c
07-24-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm not good with giving advice. I would rather just keep my mouth shut and be a student.

diego
07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
THe next week I train with the guy who has done kung fu for one year. Now on his first day there he's jumping into splits. I guess he wants everyone to know he is a badass.

that is so fruity!!!.....Look at me I can do the splits lol......****!:D

wiz cool c
07-25-2007, 03:27 AM
yea a lot of fruity stuff goes on here.

stonewarrior67
07-25-2007, 06:11 AM
SPEAKING OF FRUITY, ANOTHER SC GUY WHO TRAINS OVER IN CHINA AND RUNS A SITE WWW.SHUAIJIAO.TV STATED HE SAW THE FEMINIZATION OF CHINESE MALES IS GROWING IN THE CULTURE OVER THERE BEING PUSHED ON BY THE MEDIA.
IS THAT CLOSE TO WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT FRUITY?

wiz cool c
07-25-2007, 06:30 AM
Yes. Before I came here my Judo teacher told me in China the girls wear the pants. And you can really see it here. The women is like the man in the relationship. Also about 90% of the tv shows are made for women. The guys dress the way the women would like a man to dress, like pink shirts with birds on them and stuff. 90% of the magazines are for women stuff like that. Thats why it's nice to hag around the shuai Jiao guys. I didn't read the whole article but it looked accurate.