PDA

View Full Version : to whom it may concern...

TenTigers
07-20-2007, 09:12 AM
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain

xcakid
07-20-2007, 09:15 AM
****, I'm screwed. I am the biggest chicken of them all and my morality is in the realm of Larry Flints. :(

PangQuan
07-20-2007, 09:18 AM
'If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all. And so today I still have a dream.

The Trumpet of Conscience'

Martin Luther King, jr

Shaolinlueb
07-20-2007, 10:28 AM
“People don’t want their lives fixed. Nobody wants their problems solved. Their dramas. Their distractions. Their stories resolved. Their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? Just the big scary unknown.” ~ Chuck Palahniuk

The Willow Sword
07-20-2007, 10:42 AM
I think over again my small adventures,
My fears,
Those small ones that seemed so big,
For all the vital things
I had to get and to reach;
And yet there is only one great thing,
The only thing,
To live to see the great day that dawns
And the light that fills the world.

Anonymous (Inuit, 19th century)

PangQuan
07-20-2007, 10:45 AM
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
-- H. P. Lovecraft.

banditshaw
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
A man of virtue is invincible...

bodhitree
07-20-2007, 11:33 AM
General to Winston Churchill
"Sir I don't smoke and I don't drink, I'm 100% fit"

W.C.
"I smoke and I drink and I'm 200% fit"

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
If you can't mean what you say, how can you say what you mean?

Becca
07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

PangQuan
07-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

I remember hearing this somewhere.....I like it. Plus im Cherokee so REPRESENT!

oh wait, everyone else is cherokee too right?

Becca
07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm not cherokee. I is Scotts-Irish. But I love that story!

PangQuan
07-20-2007, 02:57 PM

cool. ya i like that story too.

the everyone cherokee thing is kind of a joke.

most white people that have native in them will have cherokee. granted a lot dont, but most that do will.

kind of the joke amongst other tribes. those haters :p

SPJ
07-20-2007, 05:25 PM
moral or some sort of ethical conscience is always there.

these "rules", standards or world views are from what we were exposed to when we grew up.

the church, school, family and friends also foster these "consciences" or "behavior imprinting".

--

but courage to enforce these personal beliefs and values onto others? probably not?

But to say and stand for what you believe and follow them? yes!

--

:D

NJM
07-20-2007, 05:32 PM
"No one will ever read translations, you are a fool." -Sumerian Proverb

rogue
07-20-2007, 06:06 PM
"Up your nose with a rubber hose", Gabe Kotter

cjurakpt
07-20-2007, 07:11 PM
"I drank what?"
- Socrates

SPJ
07-20-2007, 07:13 PM
I think therefore I am.

To be or not to be--

:confused::eek::D

ingchao
07-20-2007, 08:02 PM
...And another thread degrades into nonsense.

In other words:

"Got Balls?"

trademark and copyright: ingchao 2007

Chosen-frozen
07-20-2007, 08:08 PM

Sweet! You`re the only other person outside my family I`ve ever heard call themself Scotts-Irish. (I was begining to wonder if we had made it up.)

Chosen-frozen
07-20-2007, 08:19 PM
"Hearken unto me ye that know righteousness...Fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of thier revilings.":cool:

Isaiah 51:7

lkfmdc
07-20-2007, 08:21 PM
traveling twice the speed of sound, it's easy to get burned

rogue
07-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard,
To get her poor doggie a bone.

But when she bent over, Rover took over,
And gave her a bone of his own.

Shaolinlueb
07-20-2007, 09:01 PM
"thats hot" ~ Paris Hilton

BentMonk
07-21-2007, 01:13 AM
"Belt mean no need rope to hold up pants." - Mr. Myagi :D

boshea
07-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Sweet! You`re the only other person outside my family I`ve ever heard call themself Scotts-Irish. (I was begining to wonder if we had made it up.)

What's so unbelievable about that?

You mean the possibility that Scots and Irish could get along well enough to have children? :p

boshea
07-21-2007, 02:08 AM
"There once was a man from Nantucket..."

rogue
07-21-2007, 04:07 AM

You mean the possibility that Scots and Irish could get along well enough to have children? :p

No, just the possibility that they figured out how.:D

Shaolin Wookie
07-21-2007, 05:19 AM
"****tard, Squittard, Crackard, Turdous, Thy bung Hath flung Some dung On us."

--Rabelais, Gargantua and Pantagruel

(Probably one of the most intelligent men that has ever lived, although you wouldn't think it);)

cjurakpt
07-21-2007, 05:43 AM
--Rabelais
(Probably one of the most intelligent men that has ever lived, although you wouldn't think it);)

yes, I've always wondered, what is the sound of a Chimera bombinating in a vacuum?

David Jamieson
07-21-2007, 06:08 AM
there's only one "t" in scots.

och aye!

boshea
07-21-2007, 09:53 AM

No, just the possibility that they figured out how.:D

Hey! I resemble that comment!

boshea
07-21-2007, 09:55 AM
there's only one "t" in scots.

och aye!

And it is typically capitalized, as are the first letters of sentences. :p

Becca
07-23-2007, 06:19 AM
... most white people that have native in them will have cherokee. granted a lot dont, but most that do will...

Having been raised in the inter-mountain west, that isn't one of the tribes I think of first.This part of the country, most who have antive blood are Sioux, Kiowa, or Shoshone. My ex-husband is 1/4 Kiowa. My younger son show this very strongly except for his redish dish water blond hair. :)

Becca
07-23-2007, 06:27 AM
Nope, there really is such a thing, but you gotta know yout ansestory to know if you really are scots-Irish (with one "t"t ;) ). Many Irish rebels fled to Scotland durring the English purges there so they could keep fighting under Scots banners. The Murray (think it was an earldom at that time) welcomed these refugees as he was a big suporter of the Bruce and ready made wariors were in short supply. There were a few other clans that took them in, too. :)

Oso
07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Having been raised in the inter-mountain west, that isn't one of the tribes I think of first.This part of the country, most who have antive blood are Sioux, Kiowa, or Shoshone. My ex-husband is 1/4 Kiowa. My younger son show this very strongly except for his redish dish water blond hair. :)

yea, I'm supposedly 1/32 Pamunkey by way of a great grandmother back along the line somewheres. They are a sub-tribe of the Powhatan tribe of Virginia...so, I guess that means I'm related to Pocohontas :)

oh, and DJ has a peeve about the whole scots/scotch thing...

SevenStar
07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
"too clever is stupid, dude" - Icepick "skate or Die 2"

"knowledge lies not only in truth alone, but in error also" - lester - "skate or die 2"

“Life is made up of small pleasures. Happiness is made up of those tiny successes. The big ones come too infrequently. And if you don't collect all these tiny successes, the big ones don't really mean anything.” - Norman Lear

SevenStar
07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
cool. ya i like that story too.

the everyone cherokee thing is kind of a joke.

most white people that have native in them will have cherokee. granted a lot dont, but most that do will.

kind of the joke amongst other tribes. those haters :p

really? I know WAY more black people than white who claim cherokee heritage. We always joke about that - Especially women with a perm who claim they have good hair when they KNOW it's really just a perm and will be nappy again in two weeks. Outkast even joked about it on a skit:

girl - "I've got good hair cuz I'm part cherokee..."
guy - "girl, you ain't got good hair, that's a hawaiian silky."

SevenStar
07-23-2007, 03:25 PM
“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” - Voltaire

“Prejudices are what fools use for reason.” - voltaire

“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong” - voltaire

“No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.” - voltaire

“Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road” - voltaire

“The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it.” - voltaire

“If Christians want us to believe in a Redeemer, let them act redeemed” - voltaire

“It is not enough to conquer; one must also know how to seduce” - voltaire

“Common sense is not so common.” - voltaire

“It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.” - voltaire

“Nature has always had more power than education” - voltaire

“Doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is ridiculous.” - voltaire

“Men argue, nature acts” - voltaire

yeah... I like voltaire.

SevenStar
07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
A quote by stendhal that can be geared toward mma:

“Only great minds can afford a simple style.”

SevenStar
07-23-2007, 03:36 PM
“Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” - Lord Byron

“There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything.” - Lord Byron

“A mistress never is nor can be a friend. While you agree, you are lovers; and when it is over, anything but friends.” - Lord Byron

PangQuan
07-23-2007, 03:40 PM
really? I know WAY more black people than white who claim cherokee heritage. We always joke about that - Especially women with a perm who claim they have good hair when they KNOW it's really just a perm and will be nappy again in two weeks. Outkast even joked about it on a skit:

girl - "I've got good hair cuz I'm part cherokee..."
guy - "girl, you ain't got good hair, that's a hawaiian silky."

rofl

I guess us Cherokee just got around ;)

"European epidemics introduced into the southeastern United States in 1540 by the Desoto expedition are estimated to have killed at least 75% of the original native population. How much the Cherokee suffered from this disaster in unknown, but their population in 1674 was about 50,000. A series of smallpox epidemics (1729, 1738, and 1753) cut this in half, and it remained fairly stable at about 25,000 until their removal to Oklahoma during the 1830s. The American Civil War was the next disaster and cost the Cherokee 25% of their population. No other group of Americans, red or white, suffered as severely during this conflict. The 1990 census listed 308,132 persons (15,000 full-blood) who identified themselves as Cherokee. Of these, 95,435 were concentrated in eastern Oklahoma while 10,114 eastern Cherokee lived on or near the North Carolina reservation. Cherokee tribal governments have fairly liberal membership standards, and some estimates exceed 370,000, which would make the Cherokee the largest Native American group in the United States."

Here is why though. In light of what the Cherokee tribe saw coming thier way, it was either dilute or dissapear...

SevenStar
07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Here is why though. In light of what the Cherokee tribe saw coming thier way, it was either dilute or dissapear...

but they could eventually dilute into disappearance...

PangQuan
07-23-2007, 03:47 PM
but they could eventually dilute into disappearance...

too true. :(

luckily i got a thang for native girlies so ill help keep it alive! ;)

just so few and far between.

but really i cant count how many times ive heard "im part cherokee"

brings a single tear to my 1/4 ass

SPJ
07-23-2007, 05:09 PM
"A gesture of good will/intention speaks louder than words"- an old Chinese folk saying.

such as doing something nice for some one is better than just saying it.

:)

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-23-2007, 05:20 PM
"If you can Dodge a Wrench, you can Dodge a Ball!!" ~ The Dodge Ball Coach from the movie "Dodge Ball"

PangQuan
07-23-2007, 05:58 PM
"If you can dodge a car,........

:D

Becca
07-24-2007, 06:35 AM
oh, and DJ has a peeve about the whole scots/scotch thing...LOL! My grandpa used to call himself a scotch pancake just to annoy people like that.:D