PDA

View Full Version : Seminar Report: Shuai Chiao w/ David Lin

Oso
07-22-2007, 07:16 AM
3 of my students and I went to a seminar in Columbia SC yesterday after being invited by the Sifu of a Hung Gar school I've met a couple of times at local tourneys.

It was a short but concise introductory seminar to Master Lin's shuai chiao. We missed the warmup due to a 6 mile back up on the interstate but got there in time for the meat of the seminar:

kick defense with leg
releasing skills
joint locks at wrist and elbow
throwing

the seminar was well organized with a printed syllabus. there were basically 4 items in each of the categories.

Master Lin left immediately after the seminar but we went with the teacher and student of the hung gar school to a restaurant and talked and ate much food :D

The other teacher and I will be working to get our students together to spar in the future.

Water Dragon
07-22-2007, 07:20 AM
David Lin of Georgia? WHat did you think?

Oso
07-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Good seminar. Very basic but I think it was a first time seminar for the host school's students so it was intended to be introductory in nature.

Master Lin moves very well and was very hands on during the seminar using different people to demonstrate the techniques as well as his assistant...Fred, I think?

Water Dragon
07-22-2007, 07:26 AM
In SC, the basics are where it's at. I'm very impressed by David Lin. A lot of people consider him the best Shuai Chiao man in the U.S.

Oso
07-22-2007, 07:30 AM
oh, yea, I'm not knocking the basics at all...I just want to see more eventually.

We hope to continue the relationship with the hung gar school and generate more seminars. I'd like to get him to Asheville for one at some point as well.

Water Dragon
07-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Good to hear, Bro. just be careful, once that Shuai Chiao bug bites you, it's all over!

Oso
07-22-2007, 07:42 AM
lol, yea. I love grappling competition. We went to John Ervin's Great Lakes Tourney this past spring for san shou and everyone got stoked watching the SC comps as well so we want to be able to go back and do both next year.

need to talk to him about getting an old man's division though. :p

bredmond812
07-22-2007, 06:58 PM
In SC, the basics are where it's at. I'm very impressed by David Lin. A lot of people consider him the best Shuai Chiao man in the U.S.

Another good teacher is Dr. Daniel Weng in Cupertino, Ca (near San Ramon)

Oso
07-22-2007, 07:14 PM
ok, let's not get into a who's better than who debate.:)

Oso
07-23-2007, 08:06 PM
when did I get so ugly??????

stonewarrior67
07-25-2007, 07:52 AM
which one in the pic are you? was there a language barrier or could gm lin speak english well? how did you and your students do at the euclid sports plant? did you do the seminar of changs grandson puts on? how was that if you did?

Three Harmonies
07-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Lin is one of the best Shuai Chiao cats I have ever had the pleasure to train with. Great guy too! You guys should head down to Georgia more!
Cheers
Jake :)

PS Mat when WEREN'T you so ugly?????;):D

Oso
07-25-2007, 02:30 PM
which one in the pic are you? was there a language barrier or could gm lin speak english well? how did you and your students do at the euclid sports plant? did you do the seminar of changs grandson puts on? how was that if you did?

i'm the fugly one standing next to Master Lin.

He speaks english just fine...accented of course but not an impediment to training.

We did ok in Cleveland. Everyone was in the beginner's division and we got two 1st, a 2nd and a 4th. There weren't too many competitors though...the two 1st place were both 1st of just 2. The 2nd was in a field of 3 and the 4th was last. We only competed in san shou but will do both next year.

Oso
07-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Lin is one of the best Shuai Chiao cats I have ever had the pleasure to train with. Great guy too! You guys should head down to Georgia more!
Cheers
Jake :)

PS Mat when WEREN'T you so ugly?????;):D

ATL is still 4 hours away...Columbia is just 2 so it works out for us to just help Sifu Omar have slightly bigger seminars at his place. The seminar didn't start till 1 so we left at 10 and were back home by 8. A pretty nice training trip all in all.

I was pretty cute at 12 months...downhill pretty much ever since.