PDA

View Full Version : Live in MA

SanHeChuan
07-23-2007, 07:15 PM
If you were to live in a Martial arts training environment for at least 1 year, what Kind of accommodations would you expect?

Chosen-frozen
07-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I would preffer a dorm type setting, but let`s be realistic. Most training is done with as low an overhead as possible. Here in Japan most live in training is donw by wrestlers and its communal. Everyone sleeps in one room and eats together. Cooking and cleaning duties are also often shared by the wrestlers instead of hiring an outside staff. Don`t know howpopular it would be in the States.

SanHeChuan
07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
would you commit a year of your life to communal living?

I lived in a squad bay with 30 other recruits for 3 months, not an experience I'd like to recreate. :eek:

What if you wanted to stay and train longer like 5 years?

5Animals1Path
07-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Barracks is definetly the way to go here. You get a "bit" of personal space, and it's alot easier to sort out exactly what you need with one footlocker and one standing locker.

Also, I'm picturing virtually no women being interested, thereby circumventing any changing/comfort problems.

SPJ
07-24-2007, 07:04 AM
I read about there is a huge training ground/open space and a big hall for Ba Ji fist in Meng Cun.

All of the competitors were "trained" there to be familiar with the rules before the Lei Tai fights aired on CCTV.

There are pictures for the dorm. There are 2 beds in each room.

for a few months, it is comfortable.

for a longer time, you may need more facilities.

--

http://www.wsbjq.com/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=233

;)

Fuzzly
07-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Depends on how much money was involved. In America, people will probably be able to afford a dorm-like area.

street_fighter
07-25-2007, 09:41 PM
wtf? you guys call yourselves cmaists? the only thing that matters is the training. if the training is good i'd sleep outside on the ground for however long it takes. something like the lau family set up looks good enough IMO.

boshea
07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, I'm obviously not hard core enough, and as an American I must be too rich, so I'm going to have to go with a dorm! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I've lived in communal situations, granted for periods of time much shorter than a year, and what I remember worrying about most was that I didn't think I could trust all of the other people. I don't mean I couldn't trust anyone, just that I wasn't sure that I could trust everyone. Depending on where you are, you might have a passport, credit card, or money with you, which you can't always keep at your side all day. There are some situations where communal living can be fine, but it just takes one sleazy person to make your life miserable.

On the other hand, dormatories (even with shared rooms) are more secure because you usually have some control over who you share a room with, and you can lock the door. Plus, dorms are usually simpler accomodations than a hotel or apartment, so they can still be reasonably priced.

*EDIT*
I read some of the other postings and the description of barracks looks like it would be fine, if it came with a locker.

RD'S Alias - 1A
07-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Campground, mountianis setting. I will bring my own gear and basic weapons for training.

I can stay there a year, ten, or the rest of my life.

sanjuro_ronin
07-26-2007, 05:41 AM
What is this "accomodations" you speak of?

Training MA is not about comfort, personal space, or basic human decency.
You are tired?
Bah !!
Tired is for the weak.
Toilet?
BBAAWWAHAHAH !!!
Ever heard the saying " if a bear craps in the forest, does anyone hear" ?

Pansies.

ngokfei
07-26-2007, 05:50 AM
In my younger days ;) I probably would of done whatever was available, especially if it was FREE.

Ideally a Dorm situation is best. Some privacy and secuirty.

sharing the Lavatory and Kitchen is fine (if they are kept clean)

Really can't see paying alot of money if I would have to spend my time cleaning:confused:

Sanjuro Ronin ---
so what is your experience in this roughing it environment.
guess you've never gotten Worms, Ticks/Fleas, ringworm, warts, etc.
An enjoyable experience I think you would enjoy:p

sanjuro_ronin
07-26-2007, 06:08 AM
In my younger days ;) I probably would of done whatever was available, especially if it was FREE.

Ideally a Dorm situation is best. Some privacy and secuirty.

Really can't see paying alot of money if I would have to spend my time cleaning:confused:

Sanjuro Ronin ---
so what is your experience in this roughing it environment.
guess you've never gotten Worms, Ticks/Fleas, ringworm, warts, etc.
An enjoyable experience I think you would enjoy:p

Worms, ticks and fleas, warts !
Bah !
Dessert !!
Washed down with a gallon or so of JD !
Now that is TMA training !!

SanHeChuan
07-27-2007, 01:31 PM

Really can't see paying alot of money if I would have to spend my time cleaning

How much is too much to have to clean up after yourself?

What does everyone expect to pay for live in training?

PangQuan
07-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I answered all options, any situation is fine. As long as, per mentioned above, everyone is able to trust each other.

But of course thats a requirement for any succesfull community to live peacefully with each other.

as long as the training is good of course...

msg
07-27-2007, 02:51 PM
i would have said dorm but if i went to a live in ma i would hope to have a private teacher so it would be only me