PDA

View Full Version : Lee Koon Hung Style Choy Lee Fut

nospam
07-24-2007, 04:55 AM
"Lee Koon Hung Style Choi Lei Fut" - is/was his version that more different? I see the title on the Net a lot and I get the impression they move differently than the norm? Were the patterns taught different or was it a mixing of 2 'styles', as according to the Lee Koon Hung CLF Kung Fu Association, their style is “Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut” of both Chan Heung & Jeung Hung Sing.

Sounds a lot like Tam Sam's distinction. Is this something his students started doing after his passing or was Lee Koon Hung Style Choy Lee Fut coined while he was alive?

nospam
:cool:

CLFNole
07-24-2007, 07:56 AM
We don't refer to it as LKH style. We are CLF and like you said a mixture of Chan Family and Hung Sing, albeit more from the Chan side's Hung Sing.

People sometimes call it LKH style as sifu had a lot of students and our style has a somewhat distinct flavor to it. But there is no LKH style CLF persay.

nospam
07-24-2007, 02:38 PM
What is this "somewhat distinct flavor" from Chan Family?

Thx for the answer btw.

nospam

gwa sow
07-24-2007, 03:01 PM
A distinct flavor as in if you look at clf forms, the different lineages have their own flavor to them. our forms closer resemble chan i guess. to me though, our clf looks a little different. not just different forms but the way they are performed and what type of combo's they contain.

hskwarrior
07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
in my opinion,

we all have distinctive flavor or so called ear-marks on our lineages that can identify us to a specific school or lineage.

i can tell who has learned Professor Lau Bun's CLF the same way anyone can observe someone who's learned the lacey's buk sing clf.

one aspect to the LKH lineage that i recognize as being from them is that shifty arse footwork they do. personally its only their lineage i see doing that. and that may be because of being developed off of a rats footwork.

although the hung sing lineage's footwork tends to slide along the floor like a snake and have more sturdy footwork. this is in buk sing as well.

nospam
07-24-2007, 05:21 PM
"..developed off of a rats footwork."

What the hell is that?

I agree we all have distinct flavour, but I was curious as to what, specifically, do the LKH peeps feel is theirs?

nospam

CLFNole
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Our footwork is very lively and we do slide a bit. Like it was said earlier our flavor is more or less the manner in which we perform our sets. Many of the sets have certain earmarks if you will but it is just CLF at the end of the day.

We don't have a distict flavor because of the Chan Family our flavor is our flavor. Just most of our sets are from the Chan Family Hung Sing side, meaning off of Chan Koon Pak's branch.

It is kinda hard to explain but if you watched enough of it you would understand what I mean. But this is nothing new all sifus have their own style that gets passed on to their students.

Fei Li
07-25-2007, 03:17 AM
I aegree.

Every Sifu passes down a different flavour of the style.
For example LKH Choy Lay Fut is very different today depending if you look at Tat Mau Wong's, Lee Siu Hung's or Mak Hin Fai's students.

After all KF is always also an personal expression once you reached the level where you
change from imitating to developing your own flavour.

Eddie
07-25-2007, 05:15 AM
We're just better than the rest of the CLF people. :rolleyes:

I accept challange matches, condition being you only pay for my air ticket to the USA. Preferably Florida area, but California will do too. :cool:

hskwarrior
07-25-2007, 07:03 AM
no spam,

what the hell is that? are you only into what YOUR school does? are you telling me that you've never heard that the foot work of CLF is based off of the rat's footwork? are you serious?

See, when i heard that i couldn't agree on that about MY school. i saw what they meant after seeing the LKH lineage......their footwork is all over the place. not saying thats a bad thing, just not what my lineage does.

In my lineage we always slide our feet. thats how my sifu would say when he knew his students were practicing, you could hear their sliding.

if you don't believe me, go back to your sifu and ask him. if he don't know, then ask other clf people. i know THEY will know.

do you seeing anyone disagreeing with me on that?

hskwarrior
07-25-2007, 07:03 AM
and ****, eddie...........you a big mo fo!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Eddie
07-25-2007, 07:16 AM
:eek:

Does that mean you will pay my ticket?

;)

Fei Li
07-25-2007, 01:44 PM
As for the footwork aspect I can only ad
that in our school we do also this type of sliding in our footwork
–being part of the LKH branch.
Our school is located in Germany and our Sifu was a student from Lee Koon Hung:
www.fongs-kungfu.de

nospam
07-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Yea, gung fu is individualized for sure.

We shuffle and step. Rat feet...haha...funniest dam thing I've ever heard. Nope, never heard of anything to do with rats - maybe we cleared 'em out of our style a few masters ago. We do have this sweeping the broom weapon's set, so it's all making sense to me now.

So it sounds to me this LKH thing is just another distinction that some use and others don't. Makes sense to me.

BBq rat tails anyone!?

nospam

hskwarrior
07-25-2007, 02:08 PM
rats on tha barbie!!!!!!!!!!!:D

i like mine well done.:eek:

nospam
07-25-2007, 02:13 PM
:D

nospam

ngokfei
07-26-2007, 06:17 AM
What was the Northern STyle that LKH studied before learning CLF?

Could this explain the differences in execution of the form/foundation?

CLFNole
07-26-2007, 07:28 AM
LKH never studied a northern style before learning CLF. He learned some northern weapons and 1 hand form from Shek Kin but that was when he was in his 30s.

Sifu learned a little hung gar as a young child but not very much before moving on to CLF.

The thing everyone here must realize is that this is not so much LKH style but rather our branch in general coming from Poon Dik, Poon Sing, Leung Sai, Chow Bing and So Kam Fook. It has become more well known from Lee Koon Hung but has been influenced from other areas and not completely unique to him alone.

Fei Li
07-26-2007, 08:55 AM
My Sifu, Fong Ah Man, learned from Lee Koon Hung and he teached him
some Bak Siu Lam forms.
I do not rember exactly from whom LKH learned it, either Shek Hin or one of his brothers.
I will ask my Sifu again.

CLFNole
07-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Sifu's younger brother Li Chun Hung is a bak siu lum sifu and yes we have a few sets but only weapons.

stout
07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
i've heard that chan koon pak was initially taught by cheung yim, before he went back to the chan guys. wouldn't this technically make chan koon pak's kung fu started from hung sing base and mixed chan style in?

Whats this rat's feet business? and LKH footwork being all over the place? does all other lineages get special instructions on footwork. Lai mah form pretty much do alot of sliding. I know you can do more sliding as you get more advance in your form practices but Is there more other there?

CLFNole
07-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Our footwork isn't really all over the place but it is very lively. It is possible that we move around more than other branches but I have seen plenty of other CLF people that move as much as as us.

The rat stepping goes back to the snake sliding, mouse running that is associated with CLF and possibly other southern styles as well.

I don't think it was ever proven that Chan Koon Pak studied with Cheong Yim but it would make more sense of him following his father. Not saying he couldn't have studied with him because back then it was quite common to learn some things from you sihings, sibaks and sisuks in addition to your sifu.