PDA

View Full Version : can i put other stuff in JKD?

frosh2786
03-20-2001, 04:29 AM
i know its training tools i got, so can i put m aikido in it? and also learn some muay thai kicks and wing chun stuff? also will there be alot of sparring? is it physically relaly harD?

DragonzRage
03-20-2001, 11:19 PM
How much sparring really depends on your instructor, but if I were you I'd do my best to avoid JKD "instructors" who do not allow any type of hard sparring. Sadly, I really do not think that most "JKD people" train that hard in comparison to boxers, thai boxers or Vale Tudo type gyms. But of course it also depends on how much you push yourself and what type of instructor you have. I think its pretty safe to say that your chances of getting a good challenging training regimen at a JKD place are much betetr than at your average strip mall TKD or karate McDojo place.

As for "putting other stuff in", just use what works for you man. Don't worry about whether its JKD or not. You don't even have to call it JKD. Its best not to wory about those kind of unimportant details. Just train hard and learn through experience. Good training.

Rei
03-21-2001, 11:11 PM
well for what I know wich is little but still mine... u cant classify JKD as a style hence u cant add ur other styles too it... other way arounf actualy.. from what i can intherpret u add JIKD to ur other styles.. its just bruce'e theory on cutting all the useless movements and loss of energy to make t as compact and effective as possible making it not an art anymore but pure fight skills. anyone doesnt agree dont bitc# at me ;)

Peace!

*To conquer others, you must first conquer yourself*

Laine Nakachi
04-28-2001, 09:02 AM
Yes , you can , you just need to figure out,how you're going to do it .

Example , from all the martial arts you've studied.Be open minded,take all the best blocks,punches,strikes,and figure out your own method of self defense and fighting theory.

We were all born with different body type.
So if you were confronting a person that is taller than you ,and bigger than you.You need to analyze the individual, and imagine , if he were to attack you in a certain way ,how are you going to defend yourself against him.Every hand to hand combat arts like karate ,kempo / kenpo,kung fu , even kajukenbo. Would have their own concepts & theories,blocking,striking,punching and kicking techniques.It's just a matter of absorbing what's useful for you and rejecting what is useless. And add what is your own.Meaning as you go on figuring out all this things,that was mentioned in this post reply to this topic.And I recommend getting the JKD video , the one being narrated by the late Bruce Lee himself.You can get it through , I & I sports . Take Care.

Sil Lum Kuen
P.S.The JKD video , should give you some ideas , as to go on figuring out your method of JKD .Bye.