PDA

View Full Version : Shi Yong Lingdao ?

jason.
07-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know anything about this school?

http://www.shaolintemplepa.com/

Thanks!

Jason

jason.
07-25-2007, 05:38 AM
...anyone?

LFJ
08-19-2007, 12:56 PM
thats interesting. didnt know there was a shaolin temple there. lol

there are zero pictures to be found of anything on the site though. kind of makes things difficult. info on what they do exactly is slim. shi xingshan could be anybody.

shi yong lingdao is quite a rare type of name. in fact its the only chinese dharma name i've seen with four characters. even secular given names in china are very rarely consisting of four characters.

jason.
08-20-2007, 05:28 AM
yeah it is a bit strange,

ran across the page and figured it would be worth asking around.

Royal Dragon
08-20-2007, 06:29 AM
The Lineage of Master Shi Yong Lingdao

When gathered in a formal setting outside of the Temple, it is our practice to read Teacher’s lineage as a means on introduction. More than just a collection of dates and events, this is a record of one of the key elements that makes Shaolin unique in the world; the passing of the all that is Shaolin, from teacher to student in an unbroken continuation of something that began thousands of years ago. A sharing of knowledge, born out of experience rather than theory, based in living the life not just studying the path. In this way, Shaolin links past, present and future.
More than a telling of one man’s history, it is but a chapter in a much greater story.

It is often said and experienced that when the student is ready the teacher will appear. In 1973, at the age of 11, the person we know as Teacher had the good fortune to encounter his Teacher. A 32nd generation monk and Master of Songshan Shaolin Temple Gong-fu, master Shi Xing Shan had found himself in Pennsylvania and was soon presented with a unique pupil. Perhaps Master Shi Xing Shan saw something of himself in the boy and, after finding the boy acceptable, set about to train him in Shaolin Gong-Fu. We are indeed fortunate that not only did Master Shi Xing Shan see the potential in the boy, but, moreover, that the boy saw the potential in himself. Over the course of years, some of us have been privileged to hear some stories of what a unique person Master Shi Xing Shan was, and what a fine teacher he was.

Although difficult at times, training continued for the boy as it had for other pupils for thousands of years. The training often presented the boy with difficult decisions, and required many sacrifices and great discipline. Much rice was spilled, many floors were swept, and much was learned.

It was four years later, after proving himself worthy through diligent practice and much perseverance that the pupil was promoted to the level of disciple by his teacher, Master Shi Xing Shan. This is a high honor and not one given lightly. So much so, that it is at this point that the master gives his pupil a new name. This name is significant in many ways and is an indication of a teacher’s insight into his disciple. Within Shaolin, names are not given without much contemplation. On his elevation, the boy was given the Shaolin Temple name of Lingdao, meaning “leader of the way”. You may well ask how one who follows also can lead the way. Answer this and perhaps you will see some of what Master Shi Xing Shan must have seen in his pupil.

As it must, training continued. In 1986 disciple Lingdao was elevated to the level of Master by his teacher, Master Shi Xing Shan and by the authority of the venerable Abbott of Shaolin Temple, Henan, China, Grandmaster Shi Xingzheng. Upon this high honor, Master Lingdao began to provide private instruction in the arts. The student had become a teacher. But within Shaolin, one never ceases to learn.

Several years later, in 1991, Master Shi Xing Shan came to the end of his mortal life. Today, as part of our daily ritual at the Temple, we remember the life he lived and his dedication to Shaolin, its principles, and his students. If he had not lived to fulfill his destiny, we would not have to opportunity to study that we have today.

In order to fulfill not only his commitment to his student, but to his students student, Grandmaster Shi Di Shandian, 31st generation monk and Grandmaster of Songshan Shaolin Temple Gong-Fu traveled from the Temple overseas to continue Master Lingdao’s training.

In 1995, in recognition of Master Lingdao’s strict adherence to the principles and traditions of Shaolin, the Shaolin Temple of Pennsylvania is established and consecrated by the authority of the Venerable Abbott of Shaolin Temple, Henan, China Master Shi Yongxin. Formal training and private study of the arts find a new home in Montgomery County and training continues.

With the beginning of 2003 the Temple found itself presented with the opportunity to move to a more remote location in the Mountains of Berks County. In July of that year, the Temple is recons crated in its new home. It is also in this year that Master Lingdao celebrates 30 years of study and training.

At the present day, training at the Temple continues. Master Lingdao carries on his own training as well as the instruction of both formal and informal students, sharing his wisdom and knowledge. One only need know this man in order to know all that Shaolin is and can be. Master Lingdao has committed himself to making Shaolin available to those who seek it out. In classes at Montgomery County community college, as well as at informal gatherings and in each day of his life he continues to fulfill his destiny as Teacher.

jason.
08-20-2007, 07:08 AM
yeah i read all of that but something just seems off a bit to me, i can't put my finger on it.

i think it is just the way it is written that bothers me.

Royal Dragon
08-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Maybe the concept of a Shaolin monk being in the US in 1973?

If I know my Shaolin history correctly, the Shaolin order was *VERY* small at that point, and local only to the villiages that imediately surround Shaolin Temple itself.

jason.
08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Maybe the concept of a Shaolin monk being in the US in 1973?

If I know my Shaolin history correctly, the Shaolin order was *VERY* small at that point, and local only to the villiages that imediately surround Shaolin Temple itself.

true true,

but anything is possible really