PDA

View Full Version : What if Bruce Lee....

jimbob
04-27-2001, 04:34 PM
I usually hang around the "big general" board but when I posted this question some time ago only 2 people responded so I thought I'd try my luck here.

What would jkd be like today if Burce Lee had originally studied something other than Wing Chun? lets' say his first martial love was shotokan or muay thai. How would jkd be presented to us today if this had been the case?

Just curious

James

Netfist
04-28-2001, 03:55 AM
hi,

i am new and wish to say " hi " to everyone here .

if bruce lee......?
well, this is my take...there would be no chisao in jkd and dan inosanto wouldnt be rich.
:D

Netfist

SevenStar
04-28-2001, 08:03 AM
The general forum gets the most exposure. If you didn't get any replies there, you most likely won't get that many here, either. Now, on to your topic...

"JKD favors formlessness so that it can assume all forms and since JKD has no style, it can fit in with all styles. "
--Bruce Lee

JKD in essence would still be the same. Since it for lack of a better word, assimilates other styles into it, some practitioner would have added wing chun into "his" JKD. I don't think there would be as much of a chi sau presence in JKD, but the concept would be the same.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

Netfist
04-28-2001, 07:16 PM
a wise man is not a "thing" , a fool is your own "mind" , therefore only if you would let your own mind to fool yourself.

jkd is not a thing or anything, its purely bruce lee personal adventure, and no copy cat could replace the real " thing ".

but for those who could cash out the name jkd , no douth in my mind, not only he's no fool and also know how to make a buck. dan inosanto is a $$$ maker ;) :D :(

jimbob
04-30-2001, 08:58 AM
Okay - thanks for the responses thus far. I know jkd is "supposed" to be a personal expression tailored to each individual, but the jkd I have seen (not first hand mind you- just via tapes and stuff) certainly doesn't suggest that anyone has felt their best way of personally expressing themselves is via taekwondo or shotokan or hsing i and so on. What I have seen looks a lot like a combination of wing chun, boxing, muay thai and the filipino arts.

Given that this is my experience of jkd, I wondered if I would still be seeing the same things if Bruce Lee had been a karate exponent instead of a wing chun/boxing man.

handsome
04-30-2001, 09:49 PM
what do the JKD people think about Wing Chun kungfu??? just curious... :rolleyes: