PDA

View Full Version : The Definition of JKD: My Thoughts

4 Ranges
05-27-2001, 05:06 AM
Sadly, all too often indivduals feel the need to define the path and practice of JKD. In fact, the whole "OJKD vs. JKDC" debate is based on the very notion that there actually IS a defintion for JKD.

What most people don't realize is that JKD is as easily defined as kung-fu, karate, or aikido. In a society that demands labels for consumers eager to "attain" martial skill, the martial disciplines are often misunderstood and, ultimately, unappreciated. Can anyone, really, give a "definition" of these arts? What is the definition of kungfu? the definition of karate? the definition of tai chi? Sure, they lend themselves to individual DESCRIPTION...but not DEFINITION. Now, Aerobics can lend itself to definition; so can Tae-Bo; so can weight-lifting. But these are exercises. Not martial disciplines.

I've tried to answer some posters questions, regarding the definition of JKD. I've mentioned that it is based on realistic combat through realistic practice, that it is not a hybrid-style, but uses all "ways" as drills to familiarize oneself with any and all situations, etc. Unfortunately, these posters still insist that there is ANOTHER defintion of JKD out there, and that it must satisfy THEIR notion of what JKD is.

If you really want to understand JKD...find a JKD school. Experience it for yourself. JKD practitioners, like kungfu and karate practitioners, spend their whole lives trying to understand and define their arts in a personal way that they can relate to. Through years and years of good 'ole BST and much personal sacrifice, eventually such dedicated practitioners achieve their personal definition of what their art is through extreme physical and emotional efforts, and unwavering dedication. They EARNED their answers; they didn't get it by typing away on the internet. To DEMAND that these practitioners come up with a fortune-cookie answer to a question as asinine as "well, what is the definition of JKD?" is not only cheating yourself of the process of discovering the art for yourself, but outright disrespectful of a whole lifetime of practice and sacrifice that these individuals have put into their disciplines.

Matt Thornton didn't come to his definition of JKD without his own sacrifice, without losing a few fights, bruising and shattering his own ego. Neither have Paul Vunak, Burton Richardson, Dan Inosanto...even Bruce Lee. JKD only came to them through PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, not through neat definitions that were handed to them by some sifu, sensei, etc.

So, if you really want to understand what JKD is, don't type away at your computer, hoping someone on the net can give you a satisfactory answer on a forum: find a school, practice it, and, most of all, EXPERIENCE it for yourself. This isn't an effort to define JKD, on my part, rather a sincere effort to help out individuals who are honestly inquiring about the art (i.e. non-trolls). If you wanted to learn ba gua, would you find some school, go to the sifu and ask "hey, what is the definition of ba gua? how is it different from xing-yi? why should I study it, if it's not much different from other styles?"

I'll say it again: if you want to define JKD, do yourself a favor, and EXPERIENCE it first. Trust me, whatever answers or definitions you come away with won't disappoint you, because instead of having them "handed" to you, you would have EARNED it on your own.

PEACE

Never confuse sparring with fighting. One is an exchange of skill; the other an exchange of blood.

rogue
05-27-2001, 06:17 AM
I did study "JKD". And that's why I still have questions about what it is, or isn't.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but most JKD students I've met read TOJKD, get a few quotes from Bruce Lee movies; and suddenly deem themselves experts able to criticize other MA as good only for one or two techniques. These guys have not experienced diddly.

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

Daedalus
05-27-2001, 06:05 PM
I agree with your advice to "experience it for yourself", however I don't necessarily feel that you have to train under a "JKD instructor" to be able to experience JKD.

I do agree with JKD not being definable. Or should I say..

"JKD has many definitions, but is defined by nothing".

Sorry for the "fortune cookie" answer, but I couldn't resist.

loki
05-27-2001, 07:10 PM
Definition of JKD: Way of intercepting fist :D

NO ROAD IS AS LONG OR FILLED WITH AS MANY OBSTACLES AS THE ONE TRAVELLED BY THE CHINESE BOXER. FEW ATTEMPT TO TAKE IT . THOSE THAT REACH IT'S END ARE EVEN FEWER.

rogue
05-28-2001, 12:52 AM
Has anybody ever read Linda Lees introduction to TOJKD, or the very last page of the book?

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour