PDA

View Full Version : Staying Humble

GeneChing
07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Check out our latest e-zine article: Staying Humble (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=719) by David Hunt

sanjuro_ronin
07-26-2007, 05:29 AM
No matter how good you are, there is always someone better.

That is one of the first things taught in any MA school/gym, either by the teacher/coach or learned through self-realization.

Humility SHOULD come from that, in its most simple and basic form.

The very nature of combat arts should make us humble, more so the longer we stick to it.
As we grow older we see the "unbeatables" around us get beat, we get beat, over an dover at times.
And no matter how skillful we get, we should always remember that many came before us and many will come after and that in the grand scheme of things, we are not that good, no matter how good we get.

MA takes up a lot of our time, but it should never take up ALL our time, nor should we sacrafice too much for it.
Don't recall any "great one" on his death bead saying " I wish I had trained more", probably more along the lines of " I wish I had spent more time with my family", " I wish I had been there for my kids first steps instead of teaching some buttwipe the inner workings of *insert MA technique*".

No matter how much we know, we don't know it all.
No matter how much we do or train, we coudl always train more.
No matter how many titles we win, we can lose them tomorrow.

Humility is a lesson that should never be forgotten or neglected.

jo
07-28-2007, 06:45 PM
No matter how good you are, there is always someone better.

That is one of the first things taught in any MA school/gym, either by the teacher/coach or learned through self-realization.

Humility SHOULD come from that, in its most simple and basic form.

The very nature of combat arts should make us humble, more so the longer we stick to it.
As we grow older we see the "unbeatables" around us get beat, we get beat, over an dover at times.
And no matter how skillful we get, we should always remember that many came before us and many will come after and that in the grand scheme of things, we are not that good, no matter how good we get.

MA takes up a lot of our time, but it should never take up ALL our time, nor should we sacrafice too much for it.
Don't recall any "great one" on his death bead saying " I wish I had trained more", probably more along the lines of " I wish I had spent more time with my family", " I wish I had been there for my kids first steps instead of teaching some buttwipe the inner workings of *insert MA technique*".

No matter how much we know, we don't know it all.
No matter how much we do or train, we coudl always train more.
No matter how many titles we win, we can lose them tomorrow.

Humility is a lesson that should never be forgotten or neglected.

And all that was lost on Jack Springer and his followers.

-jo