PDA

View Full Version : Serious Motivation Problem . . . HELP!!!

Vash
07-26-2007, 08:45 PM
I just can't keep doing it. I go fine, sometimes for weeks or even months at a time. I'll hit it once, sometimes twice a day, if there's something I missed. But, no matter what, I always fall off the wagon.

I just can't keep a training blog. It drives me nuckin futts. Sure, the weights get recorded, and I make what notes I need to from my technique sessions, but redoing everything, posting it on a regular basis? Gah.

Anyway, I can't do it. So, I'll use this to occasionally throw out some random but important development in my training. But, God Help Me, it won't be regular.

Here's my latest weight training debacle, dated 07-25.

- - - - - - - - - -

Warmup: All basics, kata, and drills, plus some glute activation work.

Workout:

Dumbbell Pull and Catch: 1x8 (two squats, two pulls = one rep) w/30lbs - warmup
1x8 - 45lbs, 1x8 - 50, 1x8 - 60, 1x8 - 65

superset with

Glute-Ham Raise: 4x8 - Bodyweight (these ain't true GHR, as the only bench we have is angled. Still, makes love to my low back, works the glutes well)

[giant set]

Chin-Ups (neutral grip): 1x8, superset, 1x8
Alternating Overhead Dumbbell Press: 40lbs, 45lbs, 45, 40
Kneeling, flat-back cable crunch w/lower ab tuck: 130, 140, 150, 160

Did a set of chins before and after the giant set.

Single-Leg Curls: 3x8, 4 - 55lbs (eight reps on right leg, 4 on left [leg size, strength, flexibility difference {I trained my left leg kicks so much leading up to my Ni Dan test last October my left leg now far outpaces my right in all things}])

Single-Arm Cable Cuban Rotations: 2x8 - 30lbs

- - - - - - - - -

With my leg training, I like to alternate dominant training schemes - open-chain vs closed-chain, single-leg vs double, hip dominant vs knee dominant. Right now, loving the speed-power movement coupled with a single-leg finisher. One workout, the finisher will be an isolation, next, compound, opposite muscle. For example, with the leg curls, I'll next be doing a lunging motion. I do have to be careful, as my hyper-mobility in the SI joints often causes me severe cramping and pain.

My upper body stuff stays mostly the same. I'll sometimes change grip, rep speed, or the like, but I've found very few movements which don't cause me joint issues (I'm a leper, for all intents and purposes).

Current goals - increased strength-endurance, hypertrophy.

- - - - - - - - - -

On the MA front, it looks like I'll soon be finding another instructor, as my current is phasing out to retirement. Hopefully, I can start working out with his instructor, so I can not stagnate in my development in Isshinryu.

Also scouting around for a regular BJJ school. Nothing I could find was south of Little Rock, AR (I'm in the Devil's Ass Cleavage - State Line w/Louisiana).

- - - - - - - - -

Yeah. Long post. G'nite.

Pork Chop
07-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Dude, that energy you're wasting beating yourself up over not keeping the blog is energy you could be spending to develop the habit of keeping it.
If keeping it daily's a problem, log at the end of the week when you got more free time.
Even if you never do get into the habit of keeping the blog going, at least you're working out; so don't stress yourself out over it.

SevenStar
07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Weren't you going to fight in the sabaki or some other tournament? That could be your motivation - keeping record of your training up until you fight. Then, set another short term goal.

I know there is some mma and bjj in little rock - they have mma events there that some of our guys fight regularly in. How far from there are you?

sanjuro_ronin
07-27-2007, 08:08 AM
You want motivation to do what ??

IronFist
07-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Do you have a gmail account? I use google spreadsheets to log my workouts because then I can access it from anywhere with internet access, such as the internet stations at my gym, right after my workout.

Speaking of which, I need to update it now.

Vash
08-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Weren't you going to fight in the sabaki or some other tournament? That could be your motivation - keeping record of your training up until you fight. Then, set another short term goal.

I know there is some mma and bjj in little rock - they have mma events there that some of our guys fight regularly in. How far from there are you?

I was going to. Even had vacation off for the event. Could not get doctor's clearance. Past back issues of which I'm just recently starting to see a decrease.
My current plan is to compete in '09, if I have to forge a medical document or not. I've told a lot of people I was prepping for the Sabaki after my Ni Dan test in October, and not being able to make it was a huge kick in the balls, ego-wise and self-esteem wise.

I'm about 10 minutes north of the Louisiana border. LR's a trip, but one I could make every two or four weeks. If you could, PM me the studios you'd recommend (I would want to focus just on BJJ. That would be awesome of you.

Vash
08-03-2007, 08:11 PM
You want motivation to do what ??

Note a blog on a daily basis. ;)

I'll be hitting this one up on a weekly, with notes on specific accomplishments, how my back's doing, the usual.

Vash
08-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Do you have a gmail account? I use google spreadsheets to log my workouts because then I can access it from anywhere with internet access, such as the internet stations at my gym, right after my workout.

Speaking of which, I need to update it now.

That's a good idea. Been thinking of doing this for the weights, but I only lift twice weekly - the bulk of my training time is karate. That means a lot of bagwork, makiwara, kotekitai, kata, and HIIT. Also, when I can make it to class (a rarity these days) I get to spar. It kinda sucks being a paper tiger for weeks at a time. But, gives me the opportunity to improve my attributes. And I'm active, that's very important to me.

Toby
08-04-2007, 02:49 AM
Good luck. Keep it up Vash.

RickMatz
08-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Just quit then. Walk away. How do you feel about that?

Vash
08-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Just quit then. Walk away. How do you feel about that?

But, but . . .

I like the idea of an online blog allowing for increased accountability.

I want to keep a blog, but it gets soooooooooooo hard.

stricker
08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
dude i got into writing my first blog thread as a way to stay motivated and on top of training through an injury, always making sure i was doing something rather than nothing... anyway when i got ready to stop blogging on that ias i was really over the injury i'd got so into the habit of getting in from training and sitting down with the laptop and a protein shake and writing it up it just got to be habit and felt all wierd when i stopped doing it, so i started up another blog thread.

i think i read something how a habit takes 21 days to form or something. if you REALLY want to keep a blog for whatever reason maybe try just going on everyday at a set time and writing something (even if its Monday - nothing for example) after a couple of weeks it'll just be habit...

not that i know why youd want to i think its nuts. i only get the occasional post on mine (prolly cos its quite repetitive) so i mainly think im talking to myself. which should get me taken away in a white van :D

mickey
08-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Greetings,

Vash,

I hope you don't mind that I suggest something a litle old fashioned.

How about a tape recorder? You can recored your progress throughout the week and when you have time, blog it.

mickey

Vash
08-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Ger. Ger, I say.

Decided to try something different today, something normal. I tried dumbbell front squats. The most I could use? Two 25lbs dumbbells.

I laid off from the power movements (Olympic and single-limb ballistic lifts) because I noticed some extreme rounding of the back. Also, my lower back and legs were starting to feel like absolute hell.

So, I can front squat about 50 pounds. Go f*cking me.

Also, can do step-ups again, which rocks. I have the platform set up a little less than two feet high, and did two sets of 60 second step-ups. Let me say, these fried my VMOs. Many hardcore. It's nice to have a lower body resistance movement which doesn't adversly affect my entire organism.

God Willing, it will stay like this.

I'm chomping at the bit to get to coach Ross' seminar in April, with a hopeful follow-up as a showing at the Sabaki Challenge in '08. Let's pray the money and the healthy, injury-free training precedes this.

First step: Stay Healthy.

PS: Judge Pen - Within the month, I will have a video posted of my Sanchin (not done with dynamic tension - but with actual martial intent). Can you get a San Jian?

sanjuro_ronin
08-30-2007, 05:05 AM
You do realize that Sanchin is a training Kata right?
You wanna make it "martial" that's fine, but that was not its purpose.

Vash
08-30-2007, 05:50 AM
You do realize that Sanchin is a training Kata right?
You wanna make it "martial" that's fine, but that was not its purpose.

Indeed it is. I don't, however, do Sanchin with dynamic tension very often (no more than once a week). Because I use a bit of volume and intensity with regards to resistance training, more than that has proven to me to be detrimental. Being that I still actually liked Sanchin, I began practicing it at different speeds, with a different tempo, and different level of tension. It's still a physically challenging kata, but it often looks different than it's Goju Ryu parent when I'm not using it for dynamic tension.

Also, the late Sensei Sherman Harrell had a HUGE collection of applications for the kata. And personally, I've never been able to see all the movement potential a form trains when I've only done it one way.

For me, it's the same thing as Naihanchi - a fundamental training kata first, but still possessing a ton of applications. I've used at both kata's techniques for self-preservation situations, and have trained them against various levels of resistance for several years.

It's still a fundamental training kata, but it's so much more than that. They all are. And they can be so much more if they're used in conjunction with resistant training partners.

No_Know
09-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Mail yourself a word document to a new E-mail account. New so that your personal/business E-mail is not compromised by using public computers. When you update save as draft or mail to yourself there or second new account just for mailing back and forth documents.

Make a Word document (or notepad...Whatrever text processor the computer has them copy past to preferred text processor type thingie.

Mak a list of All the stuff you might do in training and workout...weights at rep, partners, katas...across the top put dates.

put numerals/numbers in to show the order of what you did that day which automatically shows What you did that day And How much as some days you might have five (5) some eight (8) some twelve (12)...

Make notes at the bottom.

Check off the list with the numbers and it's done add the notes if youare up to it. Less stress and keeping the log.

If you send me stuff, type stuff you do Or I could read through your posts. I might help design the list I am mentioning the could be a guide to the list that will work for your interests Like I thought.

I No_Know

My computer access is limited get to stuff when can-type of thing. would like to help. Hope my say was found to be helpful.

I No_Know

Vash
09-10-2007, 07:58 PM
But I think I would use the Blog more as a weekly progress meter as opposed to a daily posting of my trainings going-on.

For weights, I'm doing something like this:

After warmups (three school-only drills), glute-activation work, five minutes of mobility drills for lower body, five for upper body

about 30 minutes of Isshinryu - all basic techniques, empty-hand kata, weapons forms (will be 40 minutes after I learn the last two staff forms and the tuifa form)

Weights:

Dumbbell Front Squats. I use, at most, 30lbs for these. Focus on stance width, posture, and glute/VMO activation at point below parallel. The weight kills my ego, but it leaves my back feeling normal, and my muscles still get a good workout. Not uber-hardcore, but apparently healthy.

Angled Hyperextension. I focus on doing a pull-through type motion with this, using my glues, inner thighs, and hamstrings to get me from bet at a 45 degree angle, up to in-line with my feet. Last rep gets a glute-ham-raise movement.

Chinups. Neutral grip. Either six or eight sets of eight reps, the last rep having a 15 second static hold, alternating from top of pull, middle of rep, and just before lockout on bottom.

Alternating-Arm Overhead Dumbbell Press. No massive weight here, at most 55lbs, just focusing on keeping my shoulder girdle shelved, and having my lats assist in the push (please, no one say bench press - it murders my shoulders and elbows)

Kneeling Cable crunch. Kinda misleading. I activate my glutes, lock my enire back in neutral, and push back at the hips to bring my upper body parallel with the ground, my legs being perpendicular. Last rep, focus on holding my back stable, at bottom of range, for 15 seconds. killer ab exercise. Most weight I use on a set of eight is *checks log* 160 for one set, after two or three sets at either 140 or 150

Timed Step ups. Step set so when I hit it, my upper legs is exactly parallel to the ground. Killer on the VMOs, top of thigh. 60 seconds on right leg, 30 on left. (my left leg is bigger, stronger than right, because of unbalanced training leading up to my Ni Dan test last year)

Finisher for upper body is either the Cuban Cable Rotation, Low Cable Rows (pulling a rope handle to my hips, ala a karate chamber), or single-arm cable reverse flyes, from low to high, or high to low.

___===___

solo karate work right now is primarily kata, focusing on quality of movement. bagwork is focusing on power generation from the kata to single, two-move, and three-move combinations, while maintaining cover, mobility.

I get to class about twice a month, have my technique evaluated, and spar.

Personal karate workouts, including warmup and cooldown, is two hours on tuesday and friday, and 1.5-2 hours monday and thursday (two days after, and one day after, weight training days). depends on how I feel. ednesday and friday, I go through the warmup, all my techniques and kata, then lift, then cool down.

Usually make a tuesday class, which for me is 45 minutes of high-intensity teaching of chillins, and an hour of adult class, either doing drills, kata, and sparring, or conditioning and kata, or conditioning and sparring.

===+++===

Diet is locked in, I think. between 3,500 and 4,000 a day, spread over 6-7 meals. Protein and carbs up till noon, then protein and fats after. four cheat meals a week, two of which are usually Mountain Dew Game Edition (the one with Halo on the bottle) drinks with my lunch.

current supplements are: glucosamine, fish oil, protein powders, creatine, and beta-alanine.

Vash
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Yesterday was an unload day, two sets of ever'tin' 'cept chins, they got four sets.

Was feeling good.

This fine wednesday mornin', I wake up, my two little vertebrae at L2, 3 cause me many cramps in my legs. No chiro, no time, which meant no workout.

Gar.

The issue is getting better, but the minor slips like this is frustrating.

Vash
10-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Still having minor cramps throughout - still, getting better, but does negatively affect my ability to train effectively. Thank God I get a discount at the chiro's; $10 per day, two visits allowed per day.

As far as training goes, working primarily on kata (gasp!). Main points of focus are Seisan, Seiunchin and Sunsu. I won't go into detail on how I train the sections of the forms and the whole units themselves (if anyone is interested, PM me), but I always have a good solo workout, feel like I take something applicable from the sessions. Slowly working bagwork back into my routine, slowly though. Trying to keep from irritating my back.

When I get to class, I usually get to do some padwork, drills, and kata. Sadly, it really seems we are moving away from sparring.

Vash
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Monday and Tuesday this week, couldn't stay in karate mode for more than 15 minutes. Brain not there.

Hoping he shows up tomorrow. Maybe throwing some iron will be a good kick-start.

. . . You know you have it easy when a few crappy workouts are what you have to complain about.