PDA

View Full Version : Stories of the Amazing/ JKD in action!

Daedalus
03-26-2001, 12:27 AM
Does anyone have any good stories of how you used your JKD to totally and completely outfight/ outclass someone trained in a more tradional system?

I know this may sound petty, but I like to here stories of how some of these smug (closed minded) traditionalists are shown the light.

rogue
03-26-2001, 05:38 AM
I clothslined a JKD guy and knocked him on his ass, after he eye jabbed me.

Whoops wrong idea.

I used to be able to handle some of the black belts at my karate school by using what I learned in JKD. They wised up and have gone back to kicking my butt.

apoweyn
03-27-2001, 12:22 AM
Daedelus,

I know this is going to sound insulting, though I don't really mean it to be, but this sounds far more smug than anything I've heard from a traditionalist in a long time.

Stuart

Daedalus
03-28-2001, 05:10 PM
Apoweyn,

I'm sorry, I didn't want to come across as smug, but merely confident in the tennents of JKD.
I personally feel that the JKD method has many advantages over the traditional manner in which I was taught. I know that this is not the case with everyone.

I do however like to hear "conversion" stories.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

apoweyn
03-28-2001, 06:05 PM
Daedalus,

I wasn't offended exactly. In fact, I suppose I'm in the "conversion" camp myself, in a way. Though I don't really regard myself as a JKD practitioner either.

To answer your original question, yeah I think the eclectic approach has given me an advantage over traditionalists that I've sparred lately. That comes mostly from using tactics and techniques with which they aren't familiar.

But the advantage of such things wears off if you're sparring the same people. They learn. And then you're right back to the same variables you always had. The skills, attributes, and intent of the people you train against.

In my opinion, those qualities can be either good or bad, regardless of whether someone's a traditionalist or no. There are effective traditionalists and ineffective JKD'ers. Likewise, I've come across many open minded traditionalists and many close minded JKD'ers.

It's still my opinion that a style doesn't change that in a person. Close minded people are close minded people. Doesn't matter whether they're stop hitting or not.

Anyway, like I said, no offense taken. No worries.

Stuart

Internal Boxer
04-08-2001, 08:31 PM
You are somewhat missing the point of Bruce's teaching. Do not miss understand me I am a very big fan of Bruce, and have most of his books. Now correct me if I am wrong but he expressed that it is the individual that counts, not the art. I know a street fighter who has never done any style of fighting art, but he has been in hundreds of fights with hard men, boxers, Karate, Kung-fu, Doormen, often more than one oponent. And he has serious ****ed up each one. He is only 5'6'' and not even of thick set. But he is one serious hard *******. The learning methods of any style should train the body to fight and then there should be the freedom to focus on whatever the student feels is right for them, in order to augment their skill.

Daedalus
04-08-2001, 11:05 PM
You are right, Bruce Lee's intent with JKD was to move beyond style; and to focus on the individual. To bring martial arts training to a more personal level where the practitioner and the method were one.

And I agree that your friend sounds like a really talented fighter. I know guys(and girls) who are great fighters also, without having ever trained in any martial art. They learned by doing; like your friend I'm sure. Which was one of Bruce's main tennents; "kick the kicker, box the boxer, grapple the grappler". Experience the truth of combat at each range.

However, returning to the main idea behind this post, Using no way, as your way has many advantages over some of the more traditionally rigid systems and styles. Your friend is the perfect example. He learned how to fight by doing it, he doesn't adhere to any given method/style/system/etc, save for what works best for him. He is a Jeet Kune Do practitioner and doesn't know it. :D