PDA

View Full Version : Bracketing for UFC/Pride?

Shaolin Wookie
07-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Quick question:

How do they determine who gets to fight whom for titles in the UFC and Pride? Do you compete in various MMA pro tournaments for recognition, then earn a spot? I kind of figure it would work out like pro wrestling, where you fight every week, then try to earn a spot on a pay-per-view every couple of months. But does Pride and UFC have weekly fights where you have to try to earn your ticket (and I mean sponsored by UFC/Pride)?

I'm sure you guys know, but I'm as clueless as usual.

Shaolin Wookie
07-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Another question, but unrelated to the first:

Why do you think Japan primarily took to MMA and China didn't? Is it more governmental reasons, societal reasons (far more open to the West), economic (saw chance for money-making), cultural (appreciation for warrior spirit), or their MA traditions (Judo, jujitsu, and karate can be incredibly rough and hardcore in Japan)? I know all of those attribute to its popularity, but China could have claimed several of them........yet didn't.

Ben Gash
07-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Muay Thai and catch wrestling were very big in Japan prior to the advent of MMA, and really you could argue that the Japanese invented MMA, with Shootfighting and I believe Pancrase predating UFC by quite a way.

SenseiShellie
07-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Quick question:

How do they determine who gets to fight whom for titles in the UFC and Pride? Do you compete in various MMA pro tournaments for recognition, then earn a spot? I kind of figure it would work out like pro wrestling, where you fight every week, then try to earn a spot on a pay-per-view every couple of months. But does Pride and UFC have weekly fights where you have to try to earn your ticket (and I mean sponsored by UFC/Pride)?

I'm sure you guys know, but I'm as clueless as usual.

The UFC has pay per view fights every month, sometimes 2 (one PPV and one UFN) fights in a month, when Spike TV has an Ultimate Fight Night. You pretty much win every match you can until you get a title shot.

Shaolin Wookie
07-29-2007, 05:32 AM
Is it by record, or do they just size guys up and say: "Hey, that looks like it could be a good, exciting match!"?

AmanuJRY
07-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Pretty much the latter, with some respect to fight record.

In more amature contests there is a lot more consideration for experience.

John Takeshi
07-29-2007, 12:25 PM
They basically take a bunch of UFC/Pride hoodlums, strip them down to their skivvies, throw them into a dark room, and whomever starts grabbing and fondling whomever--that determines the fight. It's basically a man-love fest.

SenseiShellie
07-29-2007, 06:21 PM
They basically take a bunch of UFC/Pride hoodlums, strip them down to their skivvies, throw them into a dark room, and whomever starts grabbing and fondling whomever--that determines the fight. It's basically a man-love fest.

You're such a troll.

MasterKiller
07-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Pretty much the latter, with some respect to fight record.

In more amature contests there is a lot more consideration for experience.

Exactly. The UFC has a one guy that makes all the matches happen. Fight record is important, but a lot of times they are just trying to make an exciting fight, so a lot times they match people up based on how good of a show they can put on.

That's why you still get freak show fights like Tito/Shamrock.