PDA

View Full Version : Legend Gotch Dies at 82

Three Harmonies
07-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Catch as catch can God, Karl Gotch passed on today. A true legend, one of the last. RIP

among his family and closest friends. Karl was a devoted husband, father, mentor, animal advocate, Holocaust concentration camp survivor, and one of the greatest Professional and Catch-As-Catch-Can Wrestlers in the 20th century, but Karl would have described himself as "just a kid from the waterfront". He would have been 83 years old in a few days.

He died in Tampa, Florida at 9:45pm EST on July 28th, 2007. Karl was fiercely independent and private and truly lived life on his own terms, ask anyone that knew him.

Karl's estate wishes he be granted privacy post-mortem. Anyone seeking to pay their respects is encouraged to donate to animal rescue, in particular Pit Bull terrier rescue. The Paw'd Squad Animal Rescue is a 501c3 non-profit organization and has already set up a rescue fund in Karl's name. All donations and contributions are tax deductible. These can be sent to:

Paw'd Squad Animal Rescue
P.O. Box 6564
Burbank, California 91510-6564

Alternatively, donations can be accepted at their website:

Paw'd Squad Animal Rescue
:'(

Dale Dugas
07-29-2007, 04:20 AM
Another of the old guard has passed this realm of reality and began his journey onward.

I have said prayers and lit joss for Mr. Gotch.

Be well,

Dale

lkfmdc
07-29-2007, 06:45 AM
I found out last night and it has taken all the wind out of my sails :(

RIP

John Takeshi
07-29-2007, 07:03 AM
God bless.

X_plosion
07-29-2007, 09:08 AM
So sad to hear that he has passed on. :(

May God grant eternal rest to Mr. Gotch.

Three Harmonies
07-29-2007, 12:01 PM
I have a feeling if there is a God, and a Heaven, then the mat room is named after Mr. Gotch and he will be training daily! ;):)
One legend I never got a chance to meet. Pass peacefully brother.
Jake :cool:

Ultimatewingchun
07-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Karl Gotch was one of the greatest catch as catch can wrestlers of the 20th century - and arguably did more than anyone to insure that catch made it into the 21ft - with his outstanding work as a wrestler and an instructor during the years that he lived in Japan. I became a Gotch fan back around 1964 when he was still wrestling pro here in the U.S.

RIP.

Ben Gash
07-30-2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah, he was a lesson to us all, he was one of the few who kept his art going during the dark days of wrestling, and lived to see catch reborn in Japan and then flourish on the MMA scene. He was a truly great figure and will be missed.