PDA

View Full Version : Charles Bronson, Hard Times: Still the Film to beat

mickey
07-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Greetings,

After over thirty years, Hard Times remains one of the best (my opinion the best) martial arts films. One of the marks of truly great fight choreography is that it does not look like fight choreography. It simply looks like a fight. Hard Times consistently succeeds in this area and it has yet to be matched or surpassed. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZWa9OmGb-Y

mickey

doug maverick
08-01-2007, 10:02 AM
certainly not the best. proabably in the top one hundred thou.

mickey
08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi,

I knew someone would respond to that. :)

I considered it best for the reasons that I described. I can not think of any better. The choreography did not look like a dance.

What are you offering as better, doug maverick? :)

mickey

jethro
08-01-2007, 07:59 PM
I haven't watched it all yet Mickey, but I will be sure to post when i do. I didn't see nothing too special, but I only saw about 20 seconds of the actual fight before my computer quit working. Anyways, check out this awesome fight clip- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLv7jQAdPUA

Warning, it is intense!! Billy Chow don't fvck around.

doug maverick
08-02-2007, 11:13 AM
as a fight choreapher i';m not going to put togather a fight that looks like somehting you can see out side your window. i was being modest the fights sucked ball and were boring as hell dude sorry.

mickey
08-02-2007, 07:30 PM
HAHAHA!!

That was funny, man.

I don't think Hard Times was ever intended to be a martial arts movie. I do understand your viewpoint of choreography as entertainment: I think that is where you are coming from. For example, I just love Legendary Weapons of China. I see the choreography in that film as having more entertainment value. A lot of Jackie Chan's films fall into that category.

jethro, I did take a look at your suggestion. The choreography was tight, intense, and full of complexity. It views more like an action sequence than a fight.

mickey

doug maverick
08-02-2007, 11:56 PM
pretty much what i'm talking about entertainment value is what most people love to see. but that being said i almost love any charles bronson movie. so i'm partial to say i like it.

BruceSteveRoy
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
but i would say that the choreography for the bronson movie was apropriate. it was not pretty, it was not smooth, it was gritty and i think that is the feel a choreographer would want to capture for a movie like that. it was not somehting that really wows you as a viewer but the tone of the entire movie seems a little bit more low key. just my thoughts on it.

jethro
08-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh man that first fight is horrible! Some it was ok but I hated those combos that Bronson was throwing. The second fight was pretty **** good for 75. I agree it looks like a real fight. Thanks for posting it.

WHat did you think of that clip I posted for you Mickey?

mickey
08-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi jethro,

I did respond to you on my previous post. Good action choreography.

I found the trailer to Hard Times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TQCO0MMTOU

I guess it was intended to be a fighting movie. :)

mickey

jethro
08-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Sorry Mickey, didn't see your post. I don't think I have anything more real than that. Billy Chow Bei Lei never disappoints:D