PDA

View Full Version : MA DVD Shopping

kungpowmaster
08-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Hi.

I went out yesterday and picked up a few DVDs.

I went to Best Buy, and I was so disappointed, it was like they barely had anything! Their MA section was so small and terrible. Some of their MA was mixed in the Action section too. But I went to Best Buy a few month back, and then, they had a good selection, even in the Sci Fi section, but even that now, was pitiful. I walked out empty handed.

I also went to FYE, a place I almost always find deals. And lo and behold, just what I was looking for, with a $4.99 sale sticker, was the Columbia Tristar DVD of Jackie Chan's original Drunken Master. So I had to get that.

I then went to Circuit City, which has a decent selection, way better than Best Buy, but, Best Buy did has a small amout of odd titles that CC don't. Anyway, I was wanting to get the American Ninja series, and right on the rack, were all 5. So, I picked them up. They were 9.99 a piece, 2&3 a double feature.

So that was my Saturday shopping.

Comments welcome.

Chosen One

jethro
08-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I just picked up Crime Story, my favorite modern day Jackie chan movie. JAckie is badass in this movie. No comedy, he is seriously badass. Easily my favorite acting performance of his career. And of course the extras on the dragon Dynasty DVD are tops. I never knew Kirk Wong and JAckie had so many problems.

Jimbo
08-08-2007, 12:22 AM
I recently picked up Azumi (part 1). I luckily found it at Wal-Mart. At first I wasn't sure if I'd wasted my money on something I'd end up regretting buying. Once it started, though, I found it growing on me. All I can say is that for myself, it represents the best live-action film shot with a very clear anime-style. The acting, cinematography, story, etc., especially the effeminate arch-villain. One thing that kind of surprised me was how helpless the Azumi character is when she is without her sword, considering how catastrophically lethal she is with it.

I've heard that part II was pretty bad, so I don't plan on getting that one.

jethro
08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I heard that most people that liked part one liked part 2. But you would have to get other opinions. I haven't had the chance to see those.

kungpowmaster
08-09-2007, 04:13 PM
I just got the DVD for Catman in Lethal Track. An IFD Joseph Lai/Betty Chan production. IMDB says Godfrey Ho is director, though the name Alton Cheung is on the package. I haven't seen this yet.

Chosen One

Snake77
08-10-2007, 09:34 AM
My recent purchases are:

36th chamber of shaolin
King Boxer
Buddahas Palm,Snake Fist
Kill Zone

jethro
08-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Good choice on Killzone. It is a great movie, and the special features kept me busy for about a week.

kungpowmaster
08-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

Well, my usual Saturday I went out to shop a little. I had the intention to get "Rage of Honor" DVD, at Circuit City, I'd seen it at one, and went to another, and they had it in their computer, but we couldn't find it on the shelf, so I guess that'll have to wait till next time I'm at the other store.

But I still had the itch to get something, so I went to Big Lots, and picked up 4 of their cheap discs:

1. American Streetfighter. With Gary Daniels.
2. Full Impact. With Gary Daniels.

I am not familiar with Gary Daniels, but I do have City Hunter with Chan, and I read he is in that.

3. The Ultimate Game. With J.D. Rifkin.
4. Pocket Ninjas. With Robert Z'Dar, and I read also Gary Daniels, though he is not on the cover. I'm not sure if this is a kiddy movie or not.

Anyway, I got these, they were dirt cheap, and I have not seen any of them.

Comments welcome,

Chosen One

jethro
08-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Pocket Ninjs is the probably the worst movie ever. Let me know when you get some good movies!

kungpowmaster
08-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Well, you are right about Pocket Ninjas. I didn't even finish it all. But, it was a chance. It's a bad one.... not really sure if I'd call it a kiddy movie, as it had some grisly scenes... but it's just so over the top stupid. I'll give this to my cousin's kids, they might like it.

Now, I also watched American Streetfighter, screen titled, American Street Fighter. This really wasn't so bad. I think the music was not good for certain scenes. I think the fight and action scenes need uptempo music, and slow to midtempo music slows the action down, and this was a big factor here. The production was very low too. But Daniels was good, and everyone else was OK, and the story was OK. This was worth the buck fifty I paid, but I don't see how this got an R rating? It was also odd having a Brit as the title character.

I haven't seen the others yet.

Chosen One

jethro
08-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah I saw a clip of Pocket Ninjas on youtube and it was extremely difficult to sit through. LEt me know what you think of Full Impact. I am a pretty big Gary Daniels fan and I have not seen that movie.

And I also saw some clips of that American Street Fighter on youtube and i agree with you about it being super cheap. Most gary Daniels movies are pretty bad. check out Black Friday if you get a chance. I got that movie along with Fatal Blade (bad movie) for $5.99.

kungpowmaster
08-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi all,

OK, I finished watching them all.

The best of the bunch was, "The Ultimate Game". This was really not bad at all, even good, I thought. Production wasn't bad, actors/action good too, I thought.

"Full Impact" was also pretty good. Better than American Streetfighter. Both were what could be called backyard productions, but Full Impact just seemed better made, maybe better story, action etc. Also seemed a higher production, or just better usage of what they could get.

Gary Daniels is pretty good too. I wish my hair was like that, and body too. These all were decent buys. Decent to fair transfer quality. The Ultimate Game looking the best. American Streetfighter had Simitar DVD at the beginning, and the pic had a slight jumping, but not too bad. Full Impact was decent.

Pocket Ninja pic was fair, but the movie is terrible.

I also read that Full Impact was re-edited and re-titled American Streetfighter 2, which I am glad, if that's the truth, that I got the original movie, as this is a whole different character in this movie.

Chosen One

kungpowmaster
08-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Well, it was payday weekend, so I did a little DVD shopping.

I got what I'd went out for last weekend, to Circuit City, which the store I usually go to has a decent selection and good prices. I ALMOST got Battle Creek Brawl and another Fortune Star release, as they were all 6.99 a piece. But, I had other places to go so I just got what I went there for:

1. Rage of Honor, with Sho Kosugi(MGM DVD).

I then went to used/new place, and picked up:

2. Master of the Flying Guillotine, Ultimate Edition(Pathfinder).

I am not sure if I have seen this, but I know it's one of the classics, and it was under 5 bucks.

I'm also a horror genre fan, and picked up some Euro horror there,

A W. German Klaus Kinski movie called:

3. The Bloody Dead, with dbl feature of it's US re-edit, Creature with the Blue Hand(Image).

And went to Best Buy and got a 2 dvd set of Spain's Paul Naschy's gothic classics, newly remastered quality transfers:

4. Vengeance of the Zombies(Deimos).

5. The Night of the Werewolf(Deimos).

Comments welcomed,

Chosen One

jethro
08-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Well you got a classic right there with Master of the flying Guillotine. Kam Kong gives probably the best acting performance in kung fu cinema history in that movie. He plays the master of the Flying Guillotine. Be sure to check out the original One Armed Boxer movie sometime. Even better than the sequel.

Yesterday I got American shaolin. You would really like this one Kungpowmaster. Tons of good cheese and overall a decent movie. Best of all the fight scenes are good. It is from the same company that made Drunken Master, Snake in eagles Shadow, Ninja in the Dragon's den, Bloodmoon, Superfights, No Retreat No Surrender...

jethro
08-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I got Heaven and Hell today. It wasn't that great, but I liked the fights. Fu Sheng's big fight scene was fun and I spotted Lau Kar Wing as one of the guy's with a knife. That was a very weird fight. And I liked how there was no undercranking at all in the movie. The sword fight between Kuo Chui and Lu feng is definitely the highlight. The only thing I was disappointed in was that Lung Wei and Fu Sheng should have fought longer.

And the picture and sound quality on the Image DVD is very good.

Jimbo
08-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Jethro:
"Cause there ain't no cure for the Shaolin Temple blues!" American Shaolin came out when Seasonal Films was still trying to make inroads into the American market. Of course their only pure American theatrical release was No Retreat, No Surrender. Have you seen King of the Kickboxers, with Loren Avedon and Billy Blanks? Same Co.

The thing about Fu Sheng's Heaven and Hell scene is that it's basically a stage play, or kinda like West Side Story choreography. Really odd for a Chang Cheh film. BTW, that was Fu Sheng's real wife, and they were known to sing duets onstage, so maybe that's why they did those scenes that way.

A couple months ago I picked up Above the Law (a.k.a., Righting Wrongs; NOT the Seagal film) starring Yuen Biao & Rothrock. Yuen Biao says the plane sequence was the stunt that came closest to killing him in real life. I think Melvin Wong (Descendant of Wing Chun) did a good job as the villain; Corey Yuen plays Rothrock's partner.