PDA

View Full Version : Ussd

Johnny Hot Shot
10-24-2001, 06:28 PM
Finally, Man it was harder than I though to break away from that place. I'm better for it now I'm training with really good MA in a great Dojo with a geat Sensei, someone I admire and respect. Insted of some Clown from Instructor college.
I feel stupid for having stayed so long but it was my own fault. Now the healing begins.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

nightair
10-24-2001, 06:35 PM
Congradulations. It is always goo to get the unimportant loads off of one's back. :D

DOH!!

Dark Knight
10-25-2001, 02:59 AM
How long were you with them?

Dark Knight
10-25-2001, 05:34 AM
And what style or school are you moving on to? Its always to bad that there are too many bad instructors out there.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-25-2001, 08:31 AM
Are you Old School (http://www.villari.net/)or something?

I've been there long enough to know that Joey Larock Is not a thief. :(

Jacko Jackson

joedoe
10-25-2001, 08:34 AM
Is USSD Shaolin Do?

What is Shaolin Kenpo Karate?

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Johnny Hot Shot
10-25-2001, 08:42 AM
I will still train with friends in the system but

I refuse to set foot in one of there McDojos, unless it's to challenge.

There are Good schools (http://www.royharris.com/forum/) and great teachers (http://www.ikokarate.com/index1.html). You just need to look long enough and know.

Jacko Jackson

HuangKaiVun
10-25-2001, 01:50 PM
What techniques do you now know leaving there that you didn't know going in?

Dark Knight
10-25-2001, 05:25 PM
Ive been with people who were great instructors and others that are money makers. The ones who are just out to make money hurt the good people, they mislead students for years and dont represent thier styles.
TKD has the worst reputation for this, but no style is imune from it, after someone spends thousands at a Mcdojo they classify anyone in that style as poor.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-25-2001, 05:34 PM
Your right about the Corrupt ruining it for the good. I belive there are good Martial Artist in every system even the most commercial McDojo's may have really good, really serious Martial Artist.

"Who's your Daddy?"
Rowdy McNasty

Water Dragon
10-25-2001, 05:35 PM
Congrats Johnny, you have paid your dues.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

sk girl
05-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Your right about the Corrupt ruining it for the good. I belive there are good Martial Artist in every system even the most commercial McDojo's may have really good, really serious Martial Artist.

"Who's your Daddy?"
Rowdy McNasty

Yes Charles mattera's ussd has ruined a lot of peoples lives. Its a good thing your out of there. USSD sucks and should be shut down.

Mega-Foot
05-19-2007, 11:31 AM
You suck, and you should be shut down.

This is merely a rhetorical post, demonstrating what it feels like when someone says something that nasty to you.

Feel good?

No?

ninja matt
05-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes Charles mattera's ussd has ruined a lot of peoples lives. Its a good thing your out of there. USSD sucks and should be shut down.

That will be one of the best days of my life when that happens.

cjurakpt
05-30-2007, 11:03 AM

This is merely a rhetorical post, demonstrating what it feels like when someone says something that nasty to you.

Feel good?

No?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that she doesn't give a cr@p?

BruceSteveRoy
05-30-2007, 12:33 PM
so wait... is this a response to a 6 year old post? ...but why?

SenseiShellie
05-30-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that she doesn't give a cr@p?

LOL! I don't think she does either.

rogue
05-30-2007, 07:53 PM
so wait... is this a response to a 6 year old post? ...but why?

Someone is a slow typist.

SenseiShellie
05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't think the person that started this thread is even on this forum anymore...

Laukarbo
06-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't think the person that started this thread is even on this forum anymore...

I heard hes selling fortune cookies in shaolin now....

SenseiShellie
06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I heard hes selling fortune cookies in shaolin now....

LOL! sounds like a good gig...hehehe

ninja matt
06-02-2007, 12:53 PM
LOL! sounds like a good gig...hehehe

Better than working for ussd. Probably pays better too.

sk girl
06-08-2007, 11:14 AM
That will be one of the best days of my life when that happens.

Mine too. USSD is a scam.

sunfist
06-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Just put how USSD or whatever is crap in your sig, and then make relevant posts elsewhere to showcase it, rather than ressurecting old threads.

Mind you, I have never posted anything relevant, but I have been told it works really well.

sun dragon
07-07-2007, 12:57 PM

:) Your right about ussd Sk girl. They will never get a dime of my money ever again.

rogue
07-07-2007, 02:31 PM

Wrong, it's a logical progression of a martial art. Progress is a good thing.

Notintheface
07-07-2007, 03:10 PM

Feel good?

No?

If it is rhetorical then should it have been posted? I'm sorry, I am not skilled at the post-fu. I heard at the last monthly kumites that you were the grandson of Sin The?

What are you doing kind Sir to help elevate the USSD from the inside or are you all just using the Mcdojo scene to pick and chose the next generation astral assassins?

Can you teach me the 10,000 killer bees form ?

I bet learning that hurts :)

no?

sun dragon
07-29-2007, 09:13 AM
If it is rhetorical then should it have been posted? I'm sorry, I am not skilled at the post-fu. I heard at the last monthly kumites that you were the grandson of Sin The?

What are you doing kind Sir to help elevate the USSD from the inside or are you all just using the Mcdojo scene to pick and chose the next generation astral assassins?

Can you teach me the 10,000 killer bees form ?

I bet learning that hurts :)

no?

WTF??

What are you smoking dude?

sk girl
08-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Just put how USSD or whatever is crap in your sig, and then make relevant posts elsewhere to showcase it, rather than ressurecting old threads.

Mind you, I have never posted anything relevant, but I have been told it works really well.

Dont tell me what to do pal.

John Takeshi
08-12-2007, 05:10 AM
Don't tell him what not to do, girlie.

sk girl
08-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Don't tell him what not to do, girlie.

Dont you have a life megafoot up your A.S.S. ?

SenseiShellie
08-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Wrong, it's a logical progression of a martial art. Progress is a good thing.

It is? Have you ever studied with USSD? There are a few instructors that are the best at what they do because they don't do everything they are told to do, and aren't afraid to step outside the box. However, most aren't that way. So, where do you get your assumption of a logical progression of a martial art from? The only thing it progresses in is business...

John Takeshi
08-19-2007, 06:29 AM
Dont you have a life megafoot up your A.S.S. ?

Don't you have a life girl with S up your K?:p

Oh, you got burned! Do you need some aloe for that one? FACED!

SenseiShellie
08-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Don't you have a life girl with S up your K?:p

Oh, you got burned! Do you need some aloe for that one? FACED!

hey...that kind of sounds like something shake would say from aqua teen hunger force. sorry john, but it's funny...

SenseiShellie
08-21-2007, 08:56 AM
What happened to rogue? He hasn't answered my question of how USSD has a "logical progression of martial art" been shown...

sun dragon
09-03-2007, 12:07 PM
What happened to rogue? He hasn't answered my question of how USSD has a "logical progression of martial art" been shown...

Thats funny! USSD sucks IMHO. Wing chun, jkd, muay thai boxing are way more practical martial than USSD. Train in one of them for a year then go to ussd and fight one of their green belts and see who wins?

sk girl
01-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Gone to magical land of martial arts denial that his style is the best.

GeneChing
07-03-2013, 09:23 AM
I should merge all the USSD threads here together some day...

250 American martial artists arrive at Shaolin Temple (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/culture/2013-07/03/c_132509683.htm)
English.news.cn 2013-07-03 22:06:34

http://www.globaltimes.cn/Portals/0/attachment/2011/bd15d37b-6ee8-47c9-9db2-5dfc206e2acb.jpeg
Martial art enthusiasts from the US offer their respects in a kowtow ritual for the abbot of the Shaolin Temple in central China, the ancient birthplace of kung fu, on July 3. Photo: CFP

ZHENGZHOU, July 3 (Xinhua) -- Some 250 martial arts enthusiasts from the United States arrived at the renowned Shaolin Temple in central China on Monday and demonstrated their skills to the temple's masters on Wednesday.

They demonstrated multiple Chinese martial arts skills, including the three-section whip, Buddha's fist, tiger hooks and Chinese boxing, in front of the temple gate while the temple's abbot, Shi Yongxin, watched.

Shi commended their demonstration and said it was a helpful practice for kung fu students to travel to China and communicate with the monks at Shaolin Temple, the birthplace of kung fu.

"Amateur martial artists will improve their skills and see original kung fu here," Shi said.

The tour was initiated by the United Studio of Self Defense (USSD), a martial arts training center with hundreds of thousands of registered members in the U.S.

Charles Mattera, co-founder of the studio and a disciple of 48-year-old Shi, said, "If it was not for Shaolin Temple, there would not be the USSD and there would be no martial arts."

The Shaolin Temple, one of the most famous Mahayana Buddhist monasteries in China, was built in the fifth century and has became a symbol of Chinese kung fu.

In recent years, the temple has established more than 40 cultural exchange institutes around the world to promote Shaolin-style martial arts, simple lifestyles and Buddhist philosophies.

"I hope more people can feel the essence of Eastern culture through the concept of tolerance and the healthy way of life spread by our disciples," Shi said.

Kymus
07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I should merge all the USSD threads here together some day...

"Is USSD for real??"

:p

mickey
07-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Greetings,

Did anyone catch the backhanded diss in that article?

mickey

pazman
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
I thought we weren't supposed to talk about USSD.

In any case....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPgapSOIeAE

Demasco is a clown.:)

Kymus
07-03-2013, 11:58 AM

In any case....

He does a good job, I have to say. That was pretty funny!

Shaolin
07-03-2013, 05:20 PM

In any case....

1st RULE: You do not talk about DeMasco's Shaolin Studio.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about DeMasco's Shaolin Studio.

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the fight is over.

4th RULE: Only two guys to a fight.

5th RULE: One fight at a time.

6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

7th RULE: Fights will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at DeMasco's Shaolin Studio, you HAVE to fight.

Raipizo
07-03-2013, 06:23 PM

In any case....

Why does he speak in movie trailer guy voice, half of this looks nothing like kung fu, why would something in china be represented in a Japanese way? (Dojo, gi's). That is so stupid lol.

Raipizo
07-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Almost as good as Jake Mace.

pazman
07-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Why does he speak in movie trailer guy voice, half of this looks nothing like kung fu, why would something in china be represented in a Japanese way? (Dojo, gi's). That is so stupid lol.

HINT: American Kenpo guys think their stuff can be traced back to Shaolin.

Raipizo
07-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Possibly way way wayyyyyy back. But I highly doubt anyone from kenpo went to study at shaolin anytime recently, and why would they turn shaolin kung fu into that? Lol.

wiz cool c
07-04-2013, 10:50 PM
so what style do they actually teach?

rett
07-05-2013, 08:13 AM

It looked OK for kids.

I love it when the voiceover says, "all your classes will take place in the dojooow..."

The voice is some kind of ironic 80's stoner voice imitating a commercial.

GeneChing
07-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Shaolin's enduring appeal (http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/794329.shtml#.UdrlW8osasI)
Global Times | 2013-7-7 18:08:01

http://www.globaltimes.cn/Portals/0/attachment/2011/9b983553-c1fb-495f-b98f-7d2a8dc5bafd.jpeg
About 250 martial art students from the US solute the birthplace of kung fu at the Shaolin Temple in Henan on July 3. Photo: IC

http://www.globaltimes.cn/Portals/0/attachment/2011/609b22aa-efde-493e-831a-a6fc5ca8caf4.jpeg
Shaolin Temple Abbot Shi Yongxin gives an American student a Buddhist statue at the ceremony. Photo: IC

http://www.globaltimes.cn/Portals/0/attachment/2011/23b420fc-0dc1-48d7-850b-b25ed711a5b6.jpeg
A boy shows a certificate issued by Shaolin. Photo: IC

http://www.globaltimes.cn/Portals/0/attachment/2011/d9cd5d04-50fc-44c3-8c66-b037f133d94e.jpeg
American students demonstrate what they have learnt from Shaolin martial art masters. Photo: IC

Shaolin Temple, believed to be the birthplace of kung fu, saw more than 250 students from the US pay homage to the Chinese martial art on Wednesday.

At about 9 am, the American students lined up outside the gate of the temple located in Central China's Henan Province. When Shaolin Abbot Shi Yongxin arrived in full ceremonial Buddhist garb, the students held up their hands in a traditional Chinese gesture of greeting, then prostrated themselves in salute to the temple as well as its abbot.

"Shaolin has become a big family to students from all over the world, I hope you can visit your home often," Shi told the crowd.

In an interview with local newspaper Dahe Daily, Shi said Shaolin's students also hailed from Japan, South Korea, Southeast Asia, Australia, Europe and Africa. "Twenty-seven students from Russia are now still training in the temple," he said.

Chinese and international practitioners alike have also opened classes in other countries and regions, promoting the benefits that kung fu can have on people's quality of life, Shi said.

He said kung fu is just one part of Shaolin culture and that the temple also teaches medicine, art and philosophy.

Among the American kung fu students paying homage to Shaolin on Wednesday, the youngest was only 5 years old while the oldest was in his 70s.

Yandeng (aka Charles Mattera), a US kung fu master who received his monastic name when he converted to Buddhism in 2002, told the media that the latest economic slowdown had placed great pressure on people, but that practicing Shaolin kung fu could bring inner peace and "a sense of security."

Bonnie Winter, a mom of two, said her sons Alex and Zack fell in love with Shaolin kung fu four years ago and now the two are more confident and have better self-control.

Since 1999, Yandeng has brought a group of kung fu students here every two years. In 2006, more than 500 students came to visit the famed temple and underwent three days of training. He said he is planning to open 12 more martial arts schools in cities including Los Angeles and Washington D.C.

I took the liberty of changing the title of this thread from "Quit USSD" to just "USSD". I hope to merge the rest of the USSD threads, those that have survived, into this one eventually.

pazman
07-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Yandeng (aka Charles Mattera), a US kung fu master...

Wow, this one made me gag a little.

MasterKiller
07-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Cease and desist letters in 3...2...1...

pazman
07-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Cease and desist letters in 3...2...1...

What? Cease and desist from making fun of some non-Kung fu, non-Shaolin people who try to cash in on some fake connection to Shaolin?:)

Almost A Ghost
07-09-2013, 11:54 AM
so what style do they actually teach?

Base style is Villari's Shaolin Kempo Karate.

They also teach Tak Wah Eng's animal forms and whatever Wushu forms they learn in China, but from what I understand none of these added on forms have actually been made part of the standard curriculum.

pazman
07-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Just like the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman, USSD is neither Shaolin nor Karate!

wiz cool c
07-09-2013, 07:28 PM
one more question, how does one get one of these successful mcdojo chains going anyway?

rett
07-10-2013, 12:20 AM
one more question, how does one get one of these successful mcdojo chains going anyway?

Know thy market group.

Possess a robust reality distortion field.

Don’t be stingy with the trinkets and baubles.

wiz cool c
07-10-2013, 12:58 AM
anyone else got some advice on how to get started with a chain of successful mcdojos?

iunojupiter
07-10-2013, 06:00 AM
In today's market? Good luck.

Otherwise, borrow the Doc's DeLorean and go back about 40 years, quickly train a group of eager students, and then invest in good locations.

wiz cool c
07-10-2013, 06:06 AM
good locations hmm

Kymus
07-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Make wild claims, have the path to teacher level be short, encourage students to open new schools to help spread the one true way.

rett
07-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Dojos are for dodos. It's a dead idea. Jump to the next curve. What's fresh? What will excite? How much do you believe in yourself?

How about battle robots? Sell people their own murder-drone kits. Put a tactical nuke in every man's pocket.

Or chain punch dog food and say it's awesome. Make people believe it's awesome.

Shaolin
07-10-2013, 08:50 AM

They also teach Tak Wah Eng's animal forms and whatever Wushu forms they learn in China, but from what I understand none of these added on forms have actually been made part of the standard curriculum.

Not entirely.

Some the after black forms come from Tak Wah Eng, the before black forms mostly come from Shotokan (which can be traced further back). The first 10 defensive combinations were originally created by Victor Gascon. George Pesare trained under Gascon. Pesare later added Stature of the Crane and a few more combinations. Nick Cerio received his black belt from Pesare. Cerio then trained with Bill Chun and William K.S. Chow adding more forms and combinations to the system. Villari received his black belt from Cerio, then opens his own school. Villari (through influence of others instructors) fills in the rest of the 108 defensive combinations and forms. He creates his own form Shou Ton Kwok and self promotes to 10th Dan.

Almost A Ghost
07-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Not entirely.

What? You say I'm not entirely correct and then give an abridged, and slightly incorrect, history of Villari's Shaolin Kempo Karate.... jeeeez.

Some the after black forms come from Tak Wah Eng, the before black forms mostly come from Shotokan (which can be traced further back).

The Tak Wah Eng forms started to be introduced in the late 1990's. I was in the instructor meetings in 97 at the corporate headquarters when they announced that they will start teaching those forms and learned the "correct way" to do the first Eagle set form. I say "correct' because up until then there was a very *******ized/karate-ized version of it being informally taught to higher ranks.

As far as I know, and what I've seen on youtube tournament clips, these forms are still being taught informally, meaning there is no set rank requirement for learning the TWE forms.

The Shotokan katas you are referring to are actually modified Kyoshinken katas 1-4, but cerio added another kata in the order at the first 1st one.

After black belt one starts to learn Cerio black belt forms and the 'kung fuey' forms Villari either borrowed or created.

Everything else you stated was right on the nose.

Almost A Ghost
07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Oops...double post.

Shaolin
07-10-2013, 11:14 AM
What? You say I'm not entirely correct and then give an abridged, and slightly incorrect, history of Villari's Shaolin Kempo Karate.... jeeeez.

I'm just paraphrasing the history Nancy Cerio gave me.

The Shotokan katas you are referring to are actually modified Kyoshinken katas 1-4, but cerio added another kata in the order at the first 1st one.

Which goes back to Shotokan and Funakoshi.

David Jamieson
07-10-2013, 11:28 AM

First, be an Asian in Kentucky....

Jimbo
07-10-2013, 12:19 PM
First, be an Asian in Kentucky....

...with a mullet...

TenTigers
07-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Itosu created the Pinan Kata (Shorin Ryu)
Funakoshi revamped them and called them Heian Kata (Shotokan)
Mas Oyama learned Heian Kata from Funakoshi, renamed them Pinan Kata (Kyokushin)
God knows what book Cerio learned them from, because they're all mixed up, out of sequence, with some of the footwork backwards.

Almost A Ghost
09-10-2013, 01:26 PM
http://ussd.com/grandmaster-frederick-j-villari/

Wow... didn't see this coming.

SenseiShellie
01-21-2014, 04:21 PM
http://ussd.com/grandmaster-frederick-j-villari/

Wow... didn't see this coming.

I did. I knew it was coming for a year. I've stayed off of the forum for a long time.

pazman
01-21-2014, 10:13 PM
USSD is meatspin.

Almost A Ghost
01-23-2014, 10:21 AM
I did. I knew it was coming for a year. I've stayed off of the forum for a long time.

I remember you telling me something about Villari's starting to use Bushido for supplies and being allowed in USSD's tournaments, but wasn't expecting to see a full page dedicated to him. Funny, I just looked and they haven't updated any of their history pages to include him.

SenseiShellie
01-24-2014, 07:10 PM
I remember you telling me something about Villari's starting to use Bushido for supplies and being allowed in USSD's tournaments, but wasn't expecting to see a full page dedicated to him. Funny, I just looked and they haven't updated any of their history pages to include him.

We're still not combining tournaments yet, but that's because it would take some effort. Here's an update page that they added.

http://ussd.com/our-lineage/

pazman
01-24-2014, 08:36 PM
We're still not combining tournaments yet, but that's because it would take some effort. Here's an update page that they added.

http://ussd.com/our-lineage/

Wow, that's a "bonsai tree" of bad historical research.

Okay, now time for a laugh:
All about Fred Villari (http://www.grandmastervillari.com/about-grandmaster-fred-villari)

LFJ
01-25-2014, 05:53 AM
All about Fred Villari (http://www.grandmastervillari.com/about-grandmaster-fred-villari)

Wow, that is the most delusion arrogance "the world has ever seen"...

SenseiShellie
01-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Wow, that's a "bonsai tree" of bad historical research.

yeah...i have no comment on either page other than to say i have no comment. =/

Almost A Ghost
01-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Video intro into Villari's belt tapes.

http://www.grandmastervillari.com/media/jw_allvideos/Welcome.mp4

Sounds a lot like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEJFWoAVJz4

SenseiShellie
01-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Video intro into Villari's belt tapes.

http://www.grandmastervillari.com/media/jw_allvideos/Welcome.mp4

Sounds a lot like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEJFWoAVJz4

yes...i don't know what to say other than yes. :)

GeneChing
03-28-2016, 08:18 AM
And what a grisly ttt this one is. :(

Ventura police identify man who died from self-inflicted gunshot at martial arts studio (http://www.vcstar.com/news/local/ventura/ventura-police-identify-man-who-died-at-martial-arts-studio-2ed090d9-f266-0931-e053-0100007f547e-373400941.html)

http://media.jrn.com/images/660*439/V0013171123--229589.JPG
ANTHONY PLASCENCIA/THE STAR Ventura SWAT officers convene in front of a martial arts studio where officers serving a search and arrest warrant were confronted by a man with a gun who fired off a single gunshot. A man was later found dead inside.

By John Scheibe of the Ventura County Star

Authorities said Thursday that a child molestation suspect died of a self-inflicted gunshot at a Ventura martial arts studio.

Police Cmdr. Sam Arroyo said the suspect, Sean Curtis, 38, of Ventura, was found dead Wednesday inside United Studios of Self Defense after police had gone there to arrest him on suspicion of child molestation.

As police were entering the dojo in the Montalvo Square Shopping Center on South Victoria Avenue, Curtis pulled out a gun.

"Officers then decided to back away and go outside," Arroyo said. Moments later, police heard a gunshot from inside the studio.

Police surrounded the area and used a camera-equipped robot to examine the scene and determine whether anyone was in the business with Curtis. Police also brought in additional officers, including a SWAT team, and an armored vehicle and used a loudspeaker for about 90 minutes to communicate to anyone who might be in the studio.

Once police determined Curtis was the only person inside, they went back in, Arroyo said.

Investigators said two 10-year-old girls who were students at the dojo allegedly were molested by Curtis, and the most recent incident was reported in the past week, Cmdr. Tom Higgins said. The molestation incidents reportedly occurred in the studio, authorities said.

Police had a search warrant in addition to an arrest warrant, Arroyo said.

Police went to the studio "hoping to find other victims," he said. Investigators found some physical evidence, which they took from the studio, he said.

Curtis owned the martial arts studio in addition to being an instructor there, Arroyo said.

An autopsy Thursday showed Curtis died from a single gunshot wound to the head, the Ventura County Medical Examiner's Office said.

United Studios of Self Defense is operated as a franchise, according to the Laguna Hills-based company. Company officials could not be reached for comment Thursday.

"It's really sad what happened here," said Jesus Hernandez, who works one door down from the studio. Hernandez said the studio seemed to be popular with students.

"Many of them would arrive for classes starting in the midafternoon," Hernandez said as he stood outside the studio. The studio's front windows and door were taped with blue cardboard on Thursday.

Arroyo said students ranging from young children to adults studied at the dojo. Some of the adult students arrived as the events unfolded Wednesday to find out more information about what was happening. Parents of the younger students also stopped by to figure out what was going on or brought their children there for classes, not knowing about what had happened.

As the scene transitioned from an active scene to a death investigation, affected businesses in the shopping center went back to their normal operations.

Staff writer Megan Diskin contributed to th report.

About John Scheibe
John Scheibe is a breaking news and general assignment reporter for The Star.
john.scheibe@vcstar.com 805-437-0270

GeneChing
07-02-2018, 08:30 AM
American Kungfu enthusiasts perform martial arts with local monks at Shaolin Temple (http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-07/01/c_137293916.htm)
Source: Xinhua| 2018-07-01 21:29:30|Editor: Yurou

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-07/01/137293916_15304517031191n.jpg
CHINA-HENAN-AMERICAN KUNGFU ENTHUSIASTS-PERFORMANCE (CN)
American Kungfu enthusiasts perform martial arts at Shaolin Temple on the Mount Songshan, central China's Henan Province, July 1, 2018. Over 200 Kungfu enthusiasts from America made a trip to the Shaolin Temple and performed martial arts with local monks. (Xinhua/Li An)

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-07/01/137293916_15304517031671n.jpg
A monk performs martial arts at Shaolin Temple on the Mount Songshan, central China's Henan Province, July 1, 2018. Over 200 Kungfu enthusiasts from America made a trip to the Shaolin Temple and performed martial arts with local monks. (Xinhua/Li An)

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-07/01/137293916_15304517032061n.jpg
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-07/01/137293916_15304517032451n.jpg
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-07/01/137293916_15304517032921n.jpg
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-07/01/137293916_15304517034671n.jpg
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-07/01/137293916_15304517035031n.jpg

THREADS:
Shaolin Journeys (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49520-Shaolin-Journeys)
USSD (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?475-Ussd)

GeneChing
07-10-2018, 08:07 AM
American Students Show Off Their Kung Fu Skills at Shaolin Temple in China (https://nextshark.com/students-kung-fu-shaolin-temple-pilgrimage/)
by Bryan Ke 17 hours ago

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/USSD-768x408.jpg

About 230 American disciples of the United Studios of Self Defense went on a pilgrimage to the Shaolin Temple in Dengfeng, Henan Province, China, to commemorate the martial arts school’s 50th anniversary.

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Shaolin-1.jpg

Led by USSD founder Charles Mattera, also known as Yandeng, the disciples received a warm welcome from Shaolin monks as well as the current abbot and 13th successor Shi Yongxin at around 9 a.m. on July 1, according to Shaolin.org.cn.

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Shaolin-2.jpg

“Today is a sunny day and welcome you to the Shaolin Temple. The United Studio of Self Defense aims to promote Chinese culture and has made unremitting efforts for the public health from all walks of life. USSD has become the largest Shaolin martial arts hall alliance recognized by the United States,” Abbot Yongxin said in his speech after paying tribute to Patriarch Bodhidharma, the first patriarch of the Chinese zen lineage.

“Yandeng had led overseas disciples to pilgrimage the Shaolin Temple for many times since 1997. He also invited Shaolin warriors to the US for performance and communication, carefully translated the Shaolin martial arts Cheats and has been enthusiastic about public welfare. Yandeng contributed to the development of the Shaolin culture overseas,” he continued.

“Shaolin Kongfu is the crystallization of the study by Shaolin monks of all generations, is the crystallization of oriental philosophy and culture and is also the eternal home of Shaolin disciples around the world. Welcome back home and hope you could be comfortable and peaceful in the Shaolin Temple,” Abbot Yongxin said in his closing remarks.

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Shaolin-3.jpg

The disciples showcased the martial arts they learned in front of Abbot Yongxin and the other monks of the temple.

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Shaolin-4.jpg

Some of their routines involved Shaolin boxing, weapon usage, kung fu pair practicing, and others.

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Shaolin-5.jpg

“Shaolin Temple is our home and we haven’t been home for some time,” said Mattera, who received the dharma name Yandeng when he was adopted by the Head Abbot of the Shaolin Temple back in 2001. “Today I led the US Shaolin disciples to pilgrimage, have fulfilled our long-cherished wish and thanks very much for Shaolin monks’ warm reception.”

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Shaolin-6.jpg

The monks of the temple also demonstrated their routines to the students.

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Shaolin-7.jpg
https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Shaolin-8.jpg

Abbot Yonxing then presented a Guanyin statue to the USSD and praised them for the school’s determination as they continue to promote and spread Shaolin culture overseas.

Images via youth.cn
The author bailed out on spelling the Abbot's name at the end. :rolleyes:

THREADS:
Shaolin Journeys (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49520-Shaolin-Journeys)
USSD (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?475-Ussd)

GeneChing
08-27-2019, 08:00 AM
Pacermonitor.com has lots of legal PDFs about this, but you have to be a paying member to access them.

United Studios of Self Defense, Inc. v. Kristopher Rinehart et al (https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/24786690/United_Studios_of_Self_Defense,_Inc_v_Kristopher_R inehart_et_al)
California Central District Court
Judge: David O Carter
Referred: Douglas F Mccormick
Case #: 8:18-cv-01048
Nature of Suit 196 Contract - Franchise
Cause 15:1114 Trademark Infringement
Case Filed: Jun 13, 2018
Docket
Parties (16)
Docket last updated: 7 hours ago
Monday, August 26, 2019
144 respm Declaration (Motion related) Mon 6:58 PM
DECLARATION of Eric J. Hardeman in support of Motion for Sanctions MOTION for Sanctions As to Defendants 143 filed by Counter Defendants Charles Mattera, United Studios Billing Inc, United Studios of Self Defense, Inc..(Berliner, Matthew)

Leagle.com posted one of the Pacermonitor docs online. This is just the beginning of that doc. You have to follow the link below for more.

UNITED STUDIOS OF SELF DEFENSE, INC. v. RINEHART (https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20190130891)
Case No. 8:18-cv-01048.

UNITED STUDIOS OF SELF DEFENSE, INC., a California corporation, Plaintiff, v. KRISTOPHER RINEHART, MD, an individual; BRENT MURAKAMI, an individual; SOUTH BAY SELF DEFENSE STUDIOS, LLC, a California limited liability company; LOS ANGELES STUDIOS OF SELF DEFENSE, LLC, a California limited liability company; SB NINJA, LLC, a California limited liability company; and DOES 1-10, inclusive Defendants. KRISTOPHER RINEHART, MD; BRENT MURAKAMI; SOUTH BAY SELF DEFENSE STUDIOS LLC; LOS ANGELES STUDIOS OF SELF DEFENSE, LLC; ROLLING HILLS USSD, LLC, and S.B. NINJA, LLC., Counterclaimants, v. UNITED STUDIOS OF SELF DEFENSE, INC., a California corporation, CHARLES MATTERA, an Individual, and UNITED STUDIOS BILLING, INC., Counterdefendants.

United States District Court, C.D. California.

January 29, 2019.

Editors Note
Applicable Law: 15 U.S.C. § 1114
Cause: 15 U.S.C. § 1114 Trademark Infringement
Nature of Suit: 840 Trademark
Source: PACER
Attorney(s) appearing for the Case
United Studios of Self Defense, Inc., a California corporation, Plaintiff, represented by Adam P. Harris , Fortis LLP, Bryan Linh Ngo , Fortis LLP & Eric J. Hardeman , Fortis LLP.

Kristopher Rinehart, MD, an individual, South Bay Self Defense Studios, LLC, a California limited liability company, Los Angeles Studios of Self Defense LLC, Brent Murakami, an individual & SB Ninja LLC, a California limited liability company, Defendants, represented by Daniel C. DeCarlo , Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard and Smith LLP & Leo A. Bautista , Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard and Smith LLP.

Los Angeles Studios of Self Defense LLC, South Bay Self Defense Studios, LLC, a California limited liability company, SB Ninja LLC, a California limited liability company, Brent Murakami, an individual & Kristopher Rinehart, MD, an individual, Counter Claimants, represented by Daniel C. DeCarlo , Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard and Smith LLP & Leo A. Bautista , Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard and Smith LLP.

South Bay Studios of Self Defense LLC, Counter Claimant, represented by Leo A. Bautista , Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard and Smith LLP.

United Studios of Self Defense, Inc., a California corporation, Counter Defendant, represented by Adam P. Harris , Fortis LLP, Bryan Linh Ngo , Fortis LLP & Eric J. Hardeman , Fortis LLP.

[PROPOSED] ORDER ENTERING STIPULATED PROTECTIVE ORDER
DOUGLAS F. McCORMICK, Magistrate Judge.

The Court, having considered the Stipulation for Entry of Protective Order (the "Stipulation") entered into by Plaintiff/Counterdefendant United Studios of Self Defense, Inc. ("USSD"), Counterdefendant Charles Mattera ("Mattera"), Counterdefendant United Studios Billing, Inc. ("USB"), Defendant/Counterclaimant Kristopher Rinehart, M.D. ("Rinehart"), Defendant/Counterclaimant Brent Murakami ("Murakami"), Defendant/Counterclaimant South Bay Studios of Self Defense, LLC ("SBSSD"), Defendant/Counterclaimant Los Angeles Studios of Self Defense, LLC ("LASSD"), Counterclaimant S.B. Ninja, LLC ("S.B. Ninja"), and Counterclaimant Rolling Hills USSD, LLC ("Rolling Hills USSD") (collectively (the "Parties" and individually a "Party"), and good cause appearing, hereby orders as follows:

1. A. PURPOSES AND LIMITATIONS
Discovery in this action is likely to involve production of confidential, proprietary or private information for which special protection from public disclosure and from use for any purpose other than prosecuting this litigation may be warranted. Accordingly, the parties hereby stipulate to and petition the Court to enter the following Stipulated Protective Order. The parties acknowledge that this Order does not confer blanket protections on all disclosures or responses to discovery and that the protection it affords from public disclosure and use extends only to the limited information or items that are entitled to confidential treatment under the applicable legal principles.

B. GOOD CAUSE STATEMENT
This action is likely to involve trade secrets, customer and pricing lists and other valuable research, development, commercial, financial, technical and/or proprietary information for which special protection from public disclosure and from use for any purpose other than prosecution of this action is warranted. Such confidential and proprietary materials and information consist of, among other things, confidential business or financial information, information regarding Case 8:18-cv-01048-DOC-DFM Document 53 Filed 01/29/19 Page 3 of 16 Page ID #:689 confidential business practices, or other confidential research, development, or commercial information (including information implicating privacy rights of third parties), information otherwise generally unavailable to the public, or which may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure under state or federal statutes, court rules, case decisions, or common law. Accordingly, to expedite the flow of information, to facilitate the prompt resolution of disputes over confidentiality of discovery materials, to adequately protect information the parties are entitled to keep confidential, to ensure that the parties are permitted reasonable necessary uses of such material in preparation for and in the conduct of trial, to address their handling at the end of the litigation, and serve the ends of justice, a protective order for such information is justified in this matter. It is the intent of the parties that information will not be designated as confidential for tactical reasons and that nothing be so designated without a good faith belief that it has been maintained in a confidential, non-public manner, and there is good cause why it should not be part of the public record of this case.

C. ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF PROCEDURE FOR FILING UNDER SEAL
The parties further acknowledge, as set forth in Section 12.3, below, that this Stipulated Protective Order does not entitle them to file confidential information under seal; Local Civil Rule 79-5 sets forth the procedures that must be followed and the standards that will be applied when a party seeks permission from the court to file material under seal. There is a strong presumption that the public has a right of access to judicial proceedings and records in civil cases. In connection with non-dispositive motions, good cause must be shown to support a filing under seal. See Kamakana v. City and County of Honolulu, 447 F.3d 1172, 1176 (9th Cir. 2006), Phillips v. Gen. Motors Corp., 307 F.3d 1206, 1210-11 (9th Cir. 2002), Makar-Welbon v. Sony Electrics, Inc., 187 F.R.D. 576, 577 (E.D. Wis. 1999) (even stipulated protective orders require good cause showing), and a specific showing of good cause or compelling reasons with proper evidentiary support and legal justification, must be made with respect to Protected Material that a party seeks to file under seal. The parties' mere designation of Disclosure or Discovery Material as CONFIDENTIAL or HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL—ATTORNEYS' EYES ONLY does not— without the submission of competent evidence by declaration, establishing that the materialCase 8:18-cv-01048-DOC-DFM Document 53 Filed 01/29/19 Page 4 of 16 Page ID #:690 sought to be filed under seal qualifies as confidential, privileged, or otherwise protectable— constitute good cause.

Further, if a party requests sealing related to a dispositive motion or trial, then compelling reasons, not only good cause, for the sealing must be shown, and the relief sought shall be narrowly tailored to serve the specific interest to be protected. See Pintos v. Pacific Creditors Ass'n., 605 F.3d 665, 677-79 (9th Cir. 2010). For each item or type of information, document, or thing sought to be filed or introduced under seal in connection with a dispositive motion or trial, the party seeking protection must articulate compelling reasons, supported by specific facts and legal justification, for the requested sealing order. Again, competent evidence supporting the application to file documents under seal must be provided by declaration.

Any document that is not confidential, privileged, or otherwise protectable in its entirety will not be filed under seal if the confidential portions can be redacted. If documents can be redacted, then a redacted version for public viewing, omitting only the confidential, privileged, or otherwise protectable portions of the document, shall be filed. Any application that seeks to file documents under seal in their entirety should include an explanation of why redaction is not feasible.

2. DEFINITIONS
2.1 Action: This pending federal lawsuit.