PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm considering joining this Wing Tsun academy, but

funnykungfu
08-06-2007, 04:26 PM
http://chicagoselfdefense.com/wtHistoryWTA.html

according their page, Wing Tsun originated in Germany and is a completely different style from Wing Chun, while I'm pretty sure Leung Ting developed Wing Tsun in China and the name is just a variety?

They don't even have the facts right, do they?

couch
08-06-2007, 05:00 PM

according their page, Wing Tsun originated in Germany and is a completely different style from Wing Chun, while I'm pretty sure Leung Ting developed Wing Tsun in China and the name is just a variety?

I found another website with this guys name on it: Ingo Weigel
that talks about him being part of EBMAS, so I don't know really what's going on.

However, they are claiming that from Leung Ting (who DID develop another name to set his art apart), it came to Germany and through (Kernspecht/Emin Bozetepe/only God knows because there's no lineage chart/etc) and got transformed into the biggest, baddest MOFO martial art ever because they (in Germany) are the only ones that combined the philosophy and art together. :(

Sounds like they have their noses in the air...or they're marketing as best they can.

Check out the class for a month or so and feel it out. If you get a good vibe....stay longer!

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

AndrewS
08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
This is Ingo's class. He and EBMAS came to a parting of the ways.

I've known Ingo for several years and have encountered the product of several years of his teaching on more than one occasion. His students tend to get some technical skill, but not fighting experience, context, or the rationale behind technical skills. Ingo's personal skills are decent; his ability and attitude as a teacher and person leave a lot to be desired. He's of the 'German marketing machine' school of WT. I don't like the guy.

Dave Avello is an EBMAS guy and Chicago PD officer. He's not as technically pretty as Ingo, but he's got skills he can and does use on resisting people that you can feel in his chi sao. He's also a decent person and a friend.

EBMAS Chicago
430 N. Swift Unit #300B
630-430-0902
Addison, Illinois

Andrew

Phil Redmond
08-06-2007, 09:02 PM

The Chinese language doesn't use Roman letters. It uses characters/pictograhs.
The Chinese characters for VT, WT, WC are pronouned "Wing Choon" in Cantonese regardless of how Westerners write it.

slavko
08-07-2007, 05:37 AM

forget this school, leung ting wing tsun comes from the leung ting gym in hongkong, not from the castle in germany, german WT is not leung ting wing tsun kung fu

AmanuJRY
08-07-2007, 08:11 AM
forget this school, leung ting wing tsun comes from the leung ting gym in hongkong, not from the castle in germany, german WT is not leung ting wing tsun kung fu

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you had to ask me, the european version of LTWT has waaaaayyyyy better training methods than LT's schools in china. Traditional vs. modern (in methods of training skills).

...and that comes from experience in both.;)

As for the original poster, I would agree with AndrewS. I have not personally met with either Dave or Ingo, but from the limited on-line interaction I got a bad impression of Ingo.

slavko
08-08-2007, 03:17 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you had to ask me, the european version of LTWT has waaaaayyyyy better training methods than LT's schools in china. Traditional vs. modern (in methods of training skills).

...and that comes from experience in both.;)

As for the original poster, I would agree with AndrewS. I have not personally met with either Dave or Ingo, but from the limited on-line interaction I got a bad impression of Ingo.

but only the east european version wich comes from the 80s (former headquater in Yugoslavia ), not this EWTO crap , they only good in blitzdefense, antgrappling, frequenchi , escrima and gay star trek uniforms

TenTigers
08-08-2007, 04:30 AM
"gay star trek uniforms" ??? THAT"S IT!!! I'M SOLD!!!