PDA

View Full Version : Jeet Kune Do & Mixed Martial Arts Systems,...what's the difference?

Daedalus
05-23-2001, 11:02 PM
This is a question that I am asked by my martial arts friends alot. And the more that I think about it,...well there's not a whole lot of difference.

Again though, I think it depends on which approach you take to JKD (Jun Fan or Concepts).

Jun Fan/JKD is a regimented system. JKD Concepts is not.

What do you guys think?

rogue
05-24-2001, 01:49 AM
MMA is a generic term for a fighting sport that utilizes techniques from different martial arts.

JKD is, :confused: is, :confused: well... :confused: , no one seems to really know what it is! :p

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

DaiKaiju
05-24-2001, 01:59 AM
LOL rogue's statement pretty much sums up what these JKD STYLIST keep doublespeaking about LOL
:rolleyes:

That which does not kill you will only make you stronger, and if does kill you, then you sucked to begin with!!

Daedalus
05-24-2001, 08:18 PM
I just learned from reading one of your other posts that you train in Isshinryu. I trained in Isshinryu for about 6 years (86 -92).

What do you feel are Isshinryu's strong points?
What do you like about the style?

Just curious.

rogue
05-24-2001, 11:25 PM
I've just started Isshinryu in the last couple of months so I'm still new to it.

I think it's strength is in it's in-fighting techniques and the practical approach to stances and hand techniques.

One thing I like about it so far is the way it can go from a block to another block to a strike with all with one hand. I've tried this out in during sparring in TKD class and have had success with it. I've seen the applications of the kata and they kick some a$$.

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

4 Ranges
05-27-2001, 05:16 AM
JKD is geared towards self-defense situations (i.e., the street).

Mixed-martial arts is a sport with rules.

Whereas JKD uses eye-gouges, biting, fish-hooking, and other such dirty tactics...these tactics are not allowed in mixed-martial arts.

Most importantly, although one could assume that mixed-martial arts prepares one for the street...it doesn't. That's what I've heard from my mixed-martial arts colleagues. Elements such as hidden weapons, multiple opponents, etc. are not addressed in the mixed-martial arts training methodology...because it's a sport, not a street-fighting art.

But don't take my word for it: experience both, and find your own answers.

Never confuse sparring with fighting. One is an exchange of skill; the other an exchange of blood.

rogue
05-27-2001, 06:22 AM
Wow, JKD sounds a lot like Isshinryu!!!

Louis L'Amour

Demi @ CSPT
05-28-2001, 03:43 PM
JKD is about "Best Options" in worst case scenarios...

JKD is about "Specialized Training Methods" that actually make techniques work against bigger, stronger, resisting opponents.

JKD is about "Mindset". The mind runs the body, you must run your mind.

JKD is about "The Totality of the Circumstances" - Empty Hand Game - Weapons Game - Ground Game - Firearms Game (This is the standard)

JKD is about "Functionality". It must work and it must work quick! You can't wait years to be ready for an assault.

JKD is about "Self Preservation" not self defense. Self defense is a limited response to a limited threat.

----------------------------------------------

Demi Barbito
The CSPT - A Lethal Force Institute
www.DemiBarbito.com (http://www.DemiBarbito.com)

Demi Barbito
The C.S.P.T.
"A Lethal Force Institute"

shaolinboxer
05-29-2001, 10:48 PM
The difference to me is that MMA is just that...you learn various martial arts techniques derived from different styles and mix them together.

JKD is a process of learning. It implies deep critical analysis and self awareness, those elements that cannot be taught but must be discovered.

Daedalus
05-29-2001, 10:51 PM
Good answer!

rogue
05-30-2001, 02:42 PM
Nice Lyle.

Louis L'Amour

RAYNYSC
05-31-2001, 07:01 PM
I agree Good answer there Lyle....

RAYNYSC