PDA

View Full Version : curious

JCAT
08-09-2007, 12:51 AM
How many Grandmasters are there in Shaolin Kung Fu, and why are there so many variations of whose is the best and why?

bodhitree
08-09-2007, 04:56 AM
I hear unfrozen caveman lawyer is the best, thats just what i heard though.

5Animals1Path
08-09-2007, 05:05 AM
I hear unfrozen caveman lawyer is the best, thats just what i heard though.

Listen, just because he figured out how to not poop as he walks doesn't make him so great. :p

David Jamieson
08-09-2007, 06:31 AM
How many Grandmasters are there in Shaolin Kung Fu, and why are there so many variations of whose is the best and why?

grandmaster is a modern made up term. In actuality, it is only to satisfy the preconceptions of others who don't understand the system of filial piety that is part and parcel to traditional kungfu.

my teacher's teacher is akin to my grandfather in respect to the teachings. My teacher takes the role of father in the scope of the teachings, I take the role of son and elder brother to those who come after me.

But for American minds, this type of thinking is tough to grasp and hence the whole switch to terminologies that a more self centered social construct could easily consume.

capice?

sanjuro_ronin
08-09-2007, 06:53 AM
To be a Grand master, one mast have those of a Master rank beneath them, perferably female, scantly clad and very bendy !

xcakid
08-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Given my 20yrs. of studying various styles of Kung Fu, FMA and TKD. I suppose I can make up my own system, start teaching it and call myself grandmaster. I certainly have enough material and knowledge to do so. Many GM have done just that.

bodhitree
08-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Given my 20yrs. of studying various styles of Kung Fu, FMA and TKD. I suppose I can make up my own system, start teaching it and call myself grandmaster. I certainly have enough material and knowledge to do so. Many GM have done just that.

wtf you waiting for, make it a cult I'll join! Grandmaster

The Xia
08-09-2007, 09:32 AM
"Grandmaster" is often used as a translation for "Sigung." Sigung is what one calls his sifu's sifu. That's all. One's sigung's sifu is called "sitaigung." There is also a word "Sijo," which refers to the founder of a system. It’s a familial structure. Also, Shaolin Kung Fu is a broad terms that encompasses many styles. Many arts trace back to one of the Shaolin temples.

mok
08-09-2007, 09:43 AM
JCAT - noone's taking seriously, because you came in toting the latest sh@#lin-do fantasy-story like you actually believed it.

I recommend you read-up on it more, see it for what it is, and start shopping for a new school. Also, as a personal tip - you really should try to work on your gullibility...

Lucas
08-09-2007, 10:34 AM
JCAT

I know coming here with not a lot of background information can be tough. No one starts martial arts with all the knowledge. Let alone knowledge encompassing many many many years of Chinese history, tradition, and most importantly culture.

DJ and Xia hit the nail on the head.

Shaolin Do is a whole different deal. It has the name Shaolin stamped all over it, yet in reality it is not the Shaolin Temple. Its just another martial art that draws on the name Shaolin (its not the only one, just the most popular that uses the Shaolin name), and encompasses some Shaolin material. Material that is often debated and disputed as to its original origin, and its validity as Traditional Shaolin Kungfu.

my personal recommendation:

stay patient, ignore people who may be rude or offending to you, and remain vigilant in your studies.

It will become more clear with time.

PQ

Baqualin
08-09-2007, 01:03 PM
JCAT - noone's taking seriously, because you came in toting the latest sh@#lin-do fantasy-story like you actually believed it.

I recommend you read-up on it more, see it for what it is, and start shopping for a new school. Also, as a personal tip - you really should try to work on your gullibility...

Typical Frenchy attitude:rolleyes:
BQ

xcakid
08-10-2007, 08:52 AM
wtf you waiting for, make it a cult I'll join! Grandmaster

I'm waiting on my certificate from eBay to come in the mail. I'll let ya know. ;)