PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

Mas Judt
08-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Bear with me, as I am not a Wing TsCHun guy, although I have trained alongside and sparred with different Wing Chun stylists...

When you punch, are you really supposed to lock the elbows? I've seen many do this and even a training tape where this was advocated....

Vajramusti
08-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Not an uncommon lack of differentiation IMO FWIW. For developing the punch it goes all the
way-without snapping elbows off the line. In application the elbows are bent... positioning and distance determines the details.

joy chaudhuri

r4cy
08-09-2007, 09:41 AM
I believe extending the arms completely dammages the elbows

Mas Judt
08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Well, that's my thought too. One guy was hyper-extending - he thought this created 'power'. I tried not to chuckle - as there was NOTHING but arm in his punch. I could not believe this was correct.

anerlich
08-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Some do, some don't.

Mas Judt
08-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Well, I just hope the guys I fight do....

Lee Chiang Po
08-10-2007, 09:14 PM
The arm is weakest when fully extended. Also it does injure the elbow when it is fully extended, as this does tend to hyper extend the arm. This is why you jerk the arm to full extension for a breaking blow. When I punch I will not fully extend, but will still have quite a bit of curve to the arm.
I am not quite sure what you are saying when you say locking the elbow. It doesn't sound like you could pack in much force behind it.

John Takeshi
08-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Would you kick when your knee/leg was fully extended? Of course not. You shouldn't punch that way either.

YungChun
08-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Fully extended <> Hyper extended... One is straight the other is not..

The tendons--and elasticity thereof help with the snap and retraction of the punch..

For punching no involvement of the bicep is used--the arm should be loose and relaxed.. The analogy that we used to use is that the punch is like a Rock and a String...

EBMAS Plano
08-14-2007, 10:15 AM
In the Leung Ting / Kernspsecht / Boztepe lineage we like to think of the elbow issue as a momentary lock out for the purposes of maximizing the whip-like effect that is 'possible' in the punch (depending on range to target).

Since '95 i've never had any problems with the elbow or had a chin-na / aikido person seize my 'locked' arm.

Obviously you can't jump in and perform 1,000 fully locked punches from day 1. Also training out of context is a free ticket to injury.

The momentary lock out also demonstrates the architectural strength of the Wing Chun wedge. But no one sits there locked out. There's your yin / yang...as soon as the lock out happens its gone as you relax, withdraw and replace that arm with a fresh one all in the blink of an eye.

southernkf
08-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Bear with me, as I am not a Wing TsCHun guy, although I have trained alongside and sparred with different Wing Chun stylists...

When you punch, are you really supposed to lock the elbows? I've seen many do this and even a training tape where this was advocated....

to add to the others,

I feel you don't lock the elbow. I think locking implies maximizing the range of motion which can cause some ill effects to the joints. But I do think there is a place in most wing chun lineages to extend the arm straight out while punching. As with many thing, the difference is subtle. I think the key idea is to be able to transfer your force out through your arm (as opposed to the arm being the force). A straight arm can help with this.

:)