PDA

View Full Version : Who are the three chinese figures...

monkeyfoot
08-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Ive been wanting to know this for some time.

In all chinese gift shops you will always see a group of three chinese figures together. One of the men has a HUGE head/forehead and I think he carries a crooked walking stick.

At first I thought it could be the 3 most famous characters of the eight immortals, but im not tottally sure.

Does anyone have a clue what I am talking about. They will be in the shops where you'd find images of the buddha, guan yi, guan yin etc

Sang Feng Fan
08-11-2007, 10:23 AM
The Gods of Happiness (Fu Shên), Office (Lohan?), and Longevity (Shou Hsing).

mantis108
08-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, they are Fu Lu Shou San Xing. They are technically stars/star constellations class of "Gods". There are many legends about these three. I won't go into it for now.

Chinese believe having lots of healthy children is Fu (good fortune) since they will in turn take care of you. To have prosperity, especially one that is awarded by the imperial court is Lu (great prosperity). Shou (Longivity) is pretty obvious; however, shou also includes dying in peace without sickness or bad circumstance.

Fu is usually featured with bats (same pronounciation) and lots of children. Lu is the one holding a ruyi (a piece of jade in the same of a magical fugi) and sometimes with a deer (same pronounciation). Shou is the large forehead guy with a staff and holding a peach - symbol of longivity.

Hope this helps

Mantis108

Sang Feng Fan
08-11-2007, 11:05 AM
The Project Gutenberg EBook of Myths and Legends of China: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15250/15250-h/15250-h.htm

monkeyfoot
08-12-2007, 12:00 PM
excellent - thanks for the information guys

SevenStar
08-13-2007, 03:04 PM
the chinese only have three gods of happiness? the japanese have seven.