PDA

View Full Version : Producing more power....

JKDISBEST
08-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know how you can produce more power with punches and kicks, or increase the power you produce with your punches and kicks?

bodhitree
08-12-2007, 06:08 PM
1. Work on your punching technique

2. Strength and Power training. There are plenty of S and P links in the sticky thread on this forum. Find a program of heavy lifting to follow there.

deeperthantao
08-13-2007, 06:40 PM
These may seem overly obvious, but, several basic ideas to improve kicking power: horse stance, slow side kicks, and stretching. The better your flexibility the more powerful your kicking potential is.

mickey
08-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Greetings,

Little by little, get closer to the punching bag when you are training (not in the same session, over time). Maintain good form and work at penetration. Dig in with those blows. Then work on speed with that same degree of penetration. That is a real task with kicks.

You can also make your training bag heavier, little by little.

mickey

stricker
08-14-2007, 05:12 AM
just to pick up where bodhitree left off...

1) improving technique is really important. i found a part of this and getting more power is in being looser and having greater mobility, that allows more explosiveness combined with the part 2) strength & conditioning... my best example is uppercuts, i was never very good at them until something changed in the mobility of my shoulder. when i could really feel my shoulder blade sliding around loosely over my torso they just took off out of nowhere. suddenly i had really good fast explosive and hard uppercuts, could feel my whole back muscles kicking in right down one side giving the snap into the circular sliding motion of the shoulder. the looseness allowing the whole body to be put into the motion too...

for other strikes and kicks working out in your body how to put more into the strike, from the footwork right up through the hips (key!!!) boom into the limb striking... not that im great at this, just some things seem to 'click' when i figure them out. i spend a lot of time doing like real slow shadow boxing and playing with various joints etc different parts of where the body kicks into the strike, working it out, getting looseness into it... had coaches telling me 'do this, do that' it helps, but i dont seem to be able to change that quick, use their pointers then work it out for myself, takes hours... never know when the click 'aha' moments gonna happen.

just my experiences...

on to 2) general strength has to be a big part of this but also stuff focussing on explosivity like plyometrics and olympic style stuff (jerks etc) or stuff like throwing things is supposed to be good for power...

mok
08-14-2007, 07:54 AM
FWIW - what's wrong with good old heavy bag work?

Partner drills with Pads are good too. But IMO nothing beats heavy bag for learning to strike with power.

sanjuro_ronin
08-14-2007, 08:24 AM
FWIW - what's wrong with good old heavy bag work?

Partner drills with Pads are good too. But IMO nothing beats heavy bag for learning to strike with power.

If you are not careful or start to early, HB bag could slow you down as you end up pushing rather than striking, a good coach will catch this and correct it early.
Happens when the HB is too dense sometimes.

JKDISBEST
08-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I do work with a heavy bag, whenever I can. I can get an ok snap and twisitng of the hips when it comes to punching and kicking, but they lack they power of my fellow student.

So to try and fix the problem I have been doing some shadow boxing which has helped a little. So if anyone else can give some more advice it, it would be helpful, thanks.

sanjuro_ronin
08-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Depth of penetration ( compression) is crucial in power output

mickey
08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi JKDISBEST,

I did not realize you were training for nly a few months. You sholud really be workiing at developing your strength and endurance. The power will come along in time. In theat regard I agree with some of the other posters before me.

Still. bagwork os a beautiful thing and you should really put some effort into it. It will help coordinate your strength and endurance base.

Again, the power will come in time.

mickey

David Jamieson
08-14-2007, 11:13 AM
correct structure combined with intention will increase power.

but you will also need to work on strength development and conditioning.

force feedback can kill your power if you are not strong and have little in the way of structure.

JKDISBEST
08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Again, thanks for the advice.

I am currently do a 30 minute to an hour workout with push ups and weightlifting to develop strength and doing shadow Boxing and heavy bag workouts(when I can) to help with endurance.

If you still have advice I would love to hear it.