PDA

View Full Version : Taiji Wind And Fire Wheels

DMK
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Has anyone learned the Taiji Wind and Fire Wheels by Sifu Steve Sun.
I am interested in the form .Please share your ideas and training. There use to be a web page that previewed the form ,but I cant find it.
I have looked for his e-mail address but only found his phone number, hope someone can help.
Thanks

Doc Stier
09-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I have seen Sifu Steve Sun demonstrate his Tai-Chi Wind and Fire Wheels Set on numerous occaisions at major National and International Chinese Martial Arts Competitons.

I must admit, with all due respect for Master Sun, that I just don't get it! :confused: Unlike most other Masters in attendance at these events, he does no judging or officiating whatsoever, usually seems to be proudly aloof from all but his closest friends present, but yet is always allowed to demonstrate this Set in the Masters Demonstration, to teach Seminars on this Wind and Fire Wheels Set, which numerous people pay to attend, and otherwise generally receive an all-expenses paid free ride for the weekend!

His Wind and Fire Wheels Form Set of his has never looked like it had any martial realism to it at all, IMO, or that it even has any desirable chi-kung benefits to recommend it. :rolleyes: But what do I know? :)

Anyway, here are some links from my files which may be helpful to you in your search:

http://www.siulum.com/AboutDrSun.html

http://www.windfire.com/index.html

Doc

cjurakpt
09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
glad someone finally articulated what I have been thinking about all these years - bascially a big old "what gives with this guy?" I mean, I think he basically gets traction for what he does because, frankly, no one else does it...that said, we learned a wind/fire wheel set from my old Sifu Chan Tai San - to be honest he probably "composed" it, but it was waaaay cooler than what Sun does...

johnv
09-11-2007, 06:24 AM
I watched one of his seminars at Taiji Legacy several years ago and asked him some questions about it afterward. He said he essentially made it up himself by taking Yang style Taiji and doing it with the wind-fire wheels. He said the original techniques for the weapon were lost, so he had to recreate them. I kind of agree with what others have stated. The weapons are cool, but it doesn't seem that different from what most people would have come up with if they just picked up the wind and fire wheels did a Taiji form.

Takuan
09-14-2007, 11:27 PM
There are lots of little things that are much different about empty hand vs. wind and fire wheels. My sifu and another of my kung fu brothers took a few seminars and spent some time with Sifu Sun for wind and fire wheels. When my sifu then taught me Sifu Sun's form, I was dumbfounded by the thigns I did wrong. One example being the wrists in the form, your wrists are [U]always[U] straight.

Steve Sun is also one of the greatest masters I've had the chance to meet and talk to. He definitely deserves all the respect and praise that I can give him.

cjurakpt
09-15-2007, 03:54 PM
if one actually uses the weapons at a normal speed (fast), one would figure out that one needs to keep the wrists straight pretty quickly, because they are an angular momentum-based weapon - a lot of why they "work" is because of the figure-eights, flowers, body turns/spins - superimposing them on top of the Yang taiji set does not utilize them in the way that they are actually designed to "work" - but again, when you do them slow, you can get away with it - when you do the weapons fast, you appreciate the kinetics behind them and see the difference...