PDA

View Full Version : I have laughed at and critiqued, its only fair....

xcakid
08-13-2007, 08:18 AM
That I post a video of me. Actually someone else captured a video of my and I found it on YouTube.

This is me competing in Exc men's division, Traditional Straightsword. Taiji Legacy 2007.

First I gotta say, I have patellar tendonitis and my stances sux. I know that already. Next I screwed up royally on the form and forgot an entire section. I had to improvise and end the form early.

This is not the best. But as I said. I have critiqued other postings here. Even laughed at some. Its only fair, I put myself out there. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwKQQFmAplw

The Willow Sword
08-13-2007, 08:31 AM
good sword form! No need to be embarrased about stance and such. Many give up on training when the patella starts to fade. keep at it. The vid was posted by Tom Ghoring it looks like and he has a taichi school here in austin. The classes are a bit pricey but his school is a decent one. Oh and one more thing, at 1:04 in the vid and continuing on, i was distracted by the femme orgasmo sounds. wished we could see what SHE was doing:p;):D

Peace,TWS

SPJ
08-13-2007, 09:17 AM
dun be embarassed. just do it and have fun.

I was laughed at plenty.

We used to practice at any open space, the parking lot, park, school yard.

I have to ask who ever like to watch to keep a distance.

sometimes the sword or the staff would slip out of my grip and land or shoot out or swing out in quite a distance.

--

my practice "weapons" are broken this way usually. So I have to save the good ones for performance only. only use something cheaper to practice.

--

:D

SPJ
08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
as for forgetting the whole segments.

that happened a lot for everyone.

sometimes, we have to remember certain ques to start and end in a few segs.

I would forget the entire segments if I lose the ques.

As long as we finish most of it, --

I would come back to the lost seg, if my "assistant" in the audience, give me a sign or clue for ques.

--

edit: judges only see a few moves if done well or not, then place a score.

they have been there and done that. forgot some segs, or place segs in different orders, they probably would not mind.

--

SPJ
08-13-2007, 09:38 AM
the reason we would lose grip of the sword or staff is b/c we sweat.

even you put some kind of powder on your palms, it only slows the process a bit.

I would wrap a piece of cloth around the sword handle, when practice.

--

xcakid
08-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Well I totally understand dropping weapons. I once launched a spear over the judges table many years back. Too much talcum powder. :D Needless to say, I lost that comp.

good sword form! No need to be embarrased about stance and such. Many give up on training when the patella starts to fade. keep at it. The vid was posted by Tom Ghoring it looks like and he has a taichi school here in austin. The classes are a bit pricey but his school is a decent one. Oh and one more thing, at 1:04 in the vid and continuing on, i was distracted by the femme orgasmo sounds. wished we could see what SHE was doing:p;):D

Peace,TWS

Thx!!

I actually got to meet Mr Goerhing(sp?) at the comp. Really nice guy. Seems to know his internal stuff.

As far as the female, I gotta tell ya, there were some hotties there. Spectator and competitors.

GLW
08-13-2007, 02:31 PM
"edit: judges only see a few moves if done well or not, then place a score. "

Actually it works a LITTLE bit different than that.

If you are competing in a division that has a KNOWN set routine - and there are very few - for Taijiquan, for example, if you compete in 42 posture (Competition set), 24 (Simplified), 32 Posture Sword, etc... and the division is LISTED as being those routines, then the judge is supposed to be noticing if you leave things out. However, if you are competing in a Contemporary Wushu division, they are SUPPOSED to have a Forms Examiner - often the Head Judge is doing this job. THEN, the scoring judge is NOT looking for things left out and it is the Forms Examiner's job to tell the Head Judge to deduct a standard amount for omitted or added techniques or sections.

Since the 42 Posture is usually in Contemp. Wushu division, they often use the Forms Examiner - but this varies from event to event - and Taiji Legacy often does not use a Forms Examiner or even enforce the Head Judge in the Contemporary divisions.

So, what does this mean...

Well, it means that the judge is NOT SUPPOSED to be looking at sections of what you do in 90% of the cases.

If you are in a 24 Posture event and leave out something like a Wave Hands, you should get a deduction.

But, if you are in a Taiji Sword or Internal Sword event, there are MANY Internal sword routines. They are all done a little differently and it is a poor judge that is so rigid as to deduct because a competitor changed something from what the JUDGE THINKS is supposed to be the way things are done.

As a judge, you simply should NOT look at the routine EXCEPT for how it flows, connects together, and represents the style or method for the event in which it it is being performed.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of judges that can't understand this.

A good example...The Yang Style Taijiquan division:

Well, you typically have between 3 and 3.5 minutes to perform. Anyone here can do the full routine CORRECTLY in 3.5 minutes?

So, when judging, you will see some that come in and simply start at the beginning and do 3 to 3.5 minutes. Some start in section 2 or 3 and do the same thing...and others take the entire routine apart and put one together that is their best aspects of Yang style...

Some judges get really weird about the last one - that one is the one I find most interesting because it shows you what the competitor understands and thinks on in the form.

Then there is the basic ideas of Yang style... There is a standard routine that is what was done by people like Fu Zhongwen, Yang Zhenduo, Dong Yingjie, and others... and then there are OTHER Yang forms. There are some judges that get really p!ssy about "You are not doing what I THINK is Yang Style - so I am going to score you low..."

Just a bit of explanation about how it is supposed to work and what you all as competitors SHOULD expect of the judges. What I described is how the judges training and rules for everything EXCEPT IWuF events are supposed to be done.

mickey
08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Greetings xcakid,

While the visual (that's you) is cool, the audio is for adults only. I am still laughing really hard from the juxtaposition of your performance and those "sounds."

mickey

xcakid
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Greetings xcakid,

While the visual (that's you) is cool, the audio is for adults only. I am still laughing really hard from the juxtaposition of your performance and those "sounds."

mickey

I think they were filming a pron movie in the next ring over. LOL :D

But seriously the southern forms were in the ring next to me. Those guys make a lot of noises.

xcakid
08-13-2007, 07:10 PM
"edit: judges only see a few moves if done well or not, then place a score. "

So, when judging, you will see some that come in and simply start at the beginning and do 3 to 3.5 minutes. Some start in section 2 or 3 and do the same thing...and others take the entire routine apart and put one together that is their best aspects of Yang style...

Some judges get really weird about the last one - that one is the one I find most interesting because it shows you what the competitor understands and thinks on in the form.

My time limit for the intermediate traditional northern straight sword was between :30 to 2:00 min.

The entire form I was doing, Dragon Sword, was originally 2:40. I cut out sections where I had to do twisting sitting stances due to my knee and worked down to 1:50min. As you can see in that form I knocked it down further to 1:20min.

YOu can see me hesitate towards the end. I was thinking wether or not to just finish or go back to the section I skipped. Scores for my division was suppose to be between 7.5 to 8.5 If I recall correctly I got 1) 8.0 and 3) 7.8 head judge gave me a 7.7 I think. I do remember he gave me the lowest score.

But since I was the only doing straightsword and everyone else in intermediate level was in the saber division. I got first place. :o

golden arhat
08-14-2007, 01:53 AM
nice one u really creamed him......

oh wait
its a sword form :(

wwell suppose it is what it is and i cant judge weapons really

so (y)

i like playing with weapons too

xcakid
08-14-2007, 06:24 AM
nice one u really creamed him......

oh wait
its a sword form :(

wwell suppose it is what it is and i cant judge weapons really

so (y)

i like playing with weapons too

Well you're right. That's my play weapons.

Attached is the weapons I FIGHT with. :p

sanjuro_ronin
08-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Well you're right. That's my play weapons.

Attached is the weapons I FIGHT with. :p

bah, puny mortal.

xcakid
08-14-2007, 06:41 AM
These are some of the weapons I train with.

xcakid
08-14-2007, 06:42 AM
These two are my favorite and compete with them in IDPA and IPSC competitions.

The Willow Sword
08-14-2007, 06:46 AM
out of all those uhh "training weapons" hehe my favorite is the shotgun. best home defense weapon to have if you are into that sort of thing. i have fired the Ar15's and i hate them.

Peace,TWS

xcakid
08-14-2007, 06:46 AM
bah, puny mortal.

Nice. But I really am not into long range shooting. Although I find 50BMG's dam sexy. I can't see one in my collection. Plus they are expensive to shoot. The Druganov I have is about the longest distance rifle I would have. Maybe a 700PSS later on.

out of all those uhh "training weapons" hehe my favorite is the shotgun. best home defense weapon to have if you are into that sort of thing. i have fired the Ar15's and i hate them.

Peace,TWS

Oh yeah. That and my 1911 is my home defense weapon. I have first 2 as bird shots the other 4 are slugs. I figure, if they are still moving after the 2 bird shot, it hurtin time.

I'm an AR15 fan. If you notice I own 2 of them. :D

sanjuro_ronin
08-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Remington 700 or the Winchester Model 70 are nice choices for the middle to long range "duck hunting" ;)

xcakid
08-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Remington 700 or the Winchester Model 70 are nice choices for the middle to long range "duck hunting" ;)

A lot of the people I compete with in IDPA are also long range shooters. They keep convincing me to go. Most use Rem 700. Shooting is expensive. I shoot about 500rds per competition. Now with long range weapons you have to add optic, will probably have to start loading my own ammo to get better accuracy. That's just too much for me.

I do need a long range weapon though. Maybe when I get another contract work, I will invest in one. Although .308 is popular among long range shooters, I really like the ballistics on a 30.06. That will go through an engine block.

sanjuro_ronin
08-14-2007, 07:02 AM
the .308 is a good standard round, .300 magum or the 7mm magnum are "better" but harder to "find" and more expensive.

GLW
08-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Right...barehand was what I referring to with the 3 to 3.5 (I have seen some competitions where they have a 24 Posture division and a 42 Posture division...and then they say 3 to 3.5 minutes there too.... 42 is mandated at 6 minutes max - 5 minimum. 24 CAN be done in 3 to 3.5 minutes but it is very fast then.... :)

Weapons - depending on level - advanced has a longer minimum time...but you are right - 0.5 to 2 minutes sometimes 2.5 minutes. But then again, in many divisions, the judges do not deduct for time limit infractions - sometimes they only do that on advanced and other times, not at all.

Intermediate - that is what I would have guessed - so since you were registered for that level...what you did is right on track with the level you were competing at. so...that translates into keep it up :)

xcakid
08-14-2007, 07:05 AM
the .308 is a good standard round, .300 magum or the 7mm magnum are "better" but harder to "find" and more expensive.

.308 you can shoot all day. Lot of variation you can do with regards to powder loads for accuracy. Guess that's why competition shooter like em.

I forgot about the .300 I've shot them before. Much like a 30.06, they are a beat to shoot for long periods of time.

never fired a 7mm.

Intermediate - that is what I would have guessed - so since you were registered for that level...what you did is right on track with the level you were competing at. so...that translates into keep it up :)

Thanks. I told my sifu, I am doing the same form next year to redeem myself. Need some serious stance training though. Those stances are lousy.

GLW
08-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Actually, the stances are not that big of a deal...they come with time.

What I would suggest is - as my teacher would have said - making the sword your friend.

The wrist and the flow of the weapon is where I would concentrate. HArd to describe but when you see it, you know...and when you do it right, it simply feels right.

Lots of 2 or 3 move drills to get the wrist to flow into the cut, chop, point, etc...

(And writing this is annoying...I have a screwed up radial nerve in my right hand - it IS healing but can't really work the weight of a sword in many techniques - so - definitely protect the back of your hand....mine happened when a pointy door handle hit my hand leaving work.... Hitting bags, punching, hammering - no problem...and one lousy door handle takes my hand out for about 3 months or so...sheesh....)

Shaolinlueb
08-14-2007, 09:56 AM
video not bad. i wouldnt say its great. if you forgot a part, don't worry about it. just keep on going.

me i sometimes go GAH or AGH in the middle of the form but i keep going full speed and power. don't worry about forgetting the piece. it happens to the best of us.

as for the performance it looked like you were walking through the form.

xcakid
08-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Actually, the stances are not that big of a deal...they come with time.

What I would suggest is - as my teacher would have said - making the sword your friend.

The wrist and the flow of the weapon is where I would concentrate. HArd to describe but when you see it, you know...and when you do it right, it simply feels right.

Lots of 2 or 3 move drills to get the wrist to flow into the cut, chop, point, etc...

(And writing this is annoying...I have a screwed up radial nerve in my right hand - it IS healing but can't really work the weight of a sword in many techniques - so - definitely protect the back of your hand....mine happened when a pointy door handle hit my hand leaving work.... Hitting bags, punching, hammering - no problem...and one lousy door handle takes my hand out for about 3 months or so...sheesh....)

Yeah, after 12yrs of absence in MA, I have to re-learn a lot. Sorry to hear about your hand. One of my classmates just go into a motorcycle accident and broke his thumb and some metacarpals. Out of for like 8wks. He still shows up to class though and kinda just watches.

as for the performance it looked like you were walking through the form.

I was actually taught the form that way. My old sifu said the form should be a beat faster than an internal(taiji) sword form, slower than a contemporary wushu form.