PDA

View Full Version : What is Hubud?

El_CLap
06-04-2001, 10:42 PM
I see this every now and then. Can someone please explain this to me in some detail? Or at least point me to a good website?
Thanks.

4 Ranges
06-05-2001, 05:39 PM
Hubud is an energy drill taken from the filipino martial arts. It shares the same concept as Wing Chun's chi sao: sticking hands to familiarize a practitioner with energy and that particular range. Don't get me wrong, both drills are VASTLY different from each other (in fact, my instructor has said that hubud is more "beginner-friendly" than chi-sao), but both are effective.

Describing it, though, is like describing chi-sao: I could put it into words, but the experience of it is lost. Nonetheless, a great drill, and lots of fun

Never confuse sparring with fighting. One is an exchange of skill; the other an exchange of blood.

4 Ranges
06-05-2001, 05:41 PM
Hubud is an energy drill taken from the filipino martial arts. It shares the same concept as Wing Chun's chi sao: sticking hands to familiarize a practitioner with energy and that particular range. Don't get me wrong, both drills are VASTLY different from each other (in fact, my instructor has said that hubud is more "beginner-friendly" than chi-sao), but both are effective. Hubud also progresses from empty-hand energy drills, to knife energy drills, and stick energy drills.

Describing it, though, is like describing chi-sao: I could put it into words, but the experience of it is lost. Nonetheless, a great drill, and lots of fun

Never confuse sparring with fighting. One is an exchange of skill; the other an exchange of blood.

Losttrak
06-06-2001, 09:27 PM
The few applications of the hubud(sp?) I have seen where they actually referred to it as such... were very similar to the actual Heaven and Earth movements in your basic kali/escrima. They apply to empty hand forms as well, naturally. If you watch the flow of the movements and take away the concept of block/attack you will see the different applications of the movements. Imagine the arms circling in the basic figure-eight pattern. After arm strikes over the top, you rapidly follow it with the other arm. It acts to "clear" the lead arm of any counters that it receives. That is the application of the hubud that I have seen. First arm becomes engaged and second arm clears. Very similar to the "triangle" that I have seen used in Wing Chun. Funny enuff, it was a corruption of that move that I first discovered a way to counter a close-quarters horizontal elbow strike. Only one I have found so far other than ducking or moving away. Plus it allows you to ride on top of their elbow strike and immediately counter. We used to fight dirty back in the day. =p Check out the kali/escrima...lotta good stuff in those seemingly simple forms.

RAYNYSC
06-07-2001, 07:46 PM
On the Filipino Martial Arts....
www.geocities.com/athens/pantheon/5640/ (http://www.geocities.com/athens/pantheon/5640/)

Check out the Animations section to see the Hubud flow drill in action....
RAYNYSC

[This message was edited by RAYNYSC on 06-08-01 at 10:51 AM.]