PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Style Kung Fu

Daniel09
08-13-2007, 09:12 PM
I feel I must learn the basics of tiger kung fu. I shall wait in the tall grass for a reply.

The Xia
08-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Many styles have tiger in them. There are also tiger styles out there. What are you interested in?

sanjuro_ronin
08-14-2007, 04:59 AM
I have shown you the tiger, but you have not seen it, you will not find the tiger in any kwoon or school...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

David Jamieson
08-14-2007, 05:19 AM
I feel I must learn the basics of tiger kung fu. I shall wait in the tall grass for a reply.

the basics of a style are generally the same across the board.

stances: get em into you
structure: keep that back straight, those elbows down and your wrists straight. :)
strength and conditioning: methods are provided by teachers
the style: provided by the teacher

Daniel09
08-14-2007, 07:16 AM
I guess I'll make it up on my own then. *lunges at a street lamp*

They say you can find anything out on the internet. Well that is simply not true. Try and find good kung fu instruction and suddenly your drawing up blanks. Thanks anyway though. I'll keep looking for a teacher.

The Xia
08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't recommend trying to learn martial arts without a teacher. A good teacher doesn't just show you a bunch of drills and forms. He teaches you those forms and drills. You get corrected. There are subtleties that need to be felt in order to be learned. Without this, you just have a collection of movements without substance. You can also hurt yourself.

sanjuro_ronin
08-14-2007, 10:19 AM
You can always buy the Executioners from Shaolin DVD.

The Xia
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
You can always buy the Executioners from Shaolin DVD.
ROFLMAO! :D

David Jamieson
08-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I guess I'll make it up on my own then. *lunges at a street lamp*

They say you can find anything out on the internet. Well that is simply not true. Try and find good kung fu instruction and suddenly your drawing up blanks. Thanks anyway though. I'll keep looking for a teacher.

You need to understand that Kungfu, or rather martial arts are developed through tactile feeding and response and not from reading or listen to whats on the internet.

the internet can be a useful resource for guiding you, but it is not a resource for learning something that requires visceral action.

simply knowing in your mind what is has little if anything to do with knowing with your body and mind tied together as a unit.

Daniel09
08-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, like I said at the very end of my post that you so nicely quoted, I will keep looking for a teacher. :rolleyes:

Dim Wit Mak
08-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Do a Fu Jow Pai search on Google. Perhaps there is instruction in your area.

chud
08-15-2007, 06:54 AM
You could learn Xingyiquan and focus on the Tiger form.

ittokaos
08-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Try going to bolawkungfu.com

It's Tak Wah Eng's site. He and his instructors have several schools that might be pretty close to your area. Also, he has a wide selection of books and dvds on the subject. You can at least get to know the style a little better before you go into it with those.

Are looking for Tiger style or Tiger Claw? I think there is a difference. There are also different styles of tiger. White, Black, Southern, etc...

Which one were you planning on getting in to?

Daniel09
08-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Try going to bolawkungfu.com

It's Tak Wah Eng's site. He and his instructors have several schools that might be pretty close to your area. Also, he has a wide selection of books and dvds on the subject. You can at least get to know the style a little better before you go into it with those.

Are looking for Tiger style or Tiger Claw? I think there is a difference. There are also different styles of tiger. White, Black, Southern, etc...

Which one were you planning on getting in to?

Not sure. I knew there were several forms, but that's more that I thought. I'll need to look into them to see which would be best.

ittokaos
08-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah, there are quite a few. I personally like southern tiger and white tiger. Joel Rizzo (white tiger) has a school in the San Diego and LA areas. I don't know much about the tiger style per se but I do know Bak Mei which is mainly tiger and leopard styles.

Also, try to wiki it. I don't really advocate the use of wiki as an ede all answer but it is a great way to pick up some info on a topic and use it as a starting point.

i hope this helps

ittokaos
08-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah, there are quite a few. I personally like southern tiger and white tiger. Joel Rizzo (white tiger) has a school in the San Diego and LA areas. I don't know much about the tiger style per se but I do know Bak Mei which is mainly tiger and leopard styles.

Also, try to wiki it. I don't really advocate the use of wiki as an ede all answer but it is a great way to pick up some info on a topic and use it as a starting point.

i hope this helps

Dim Wit Mak
08-21-2007, 08:20 PM

i hope this helps

White Tiger is known as Bak Fu Pai in case you want to search it using that name.