PDA

View Full Version : Working for a TCM doctor

bodhitree
08-14-2007, 04:16 AM
I started working at Ming Yip Acupuncture and Herbal Therapy (2510 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15222). I am mainly measuring herbs and preparing formulas that the doctor prescribes. I don't think I'll be learning too much about diagnosis or anything like that, but anything I learn I'll be willing to share on this forum.

I'm happy to have an opportunity to practice my mandarin with the customers (a large percentage are Chinese).

(Oh, I'll only be working at this job on weekends)

edit: The Website (http://www.mingyip.net/index.htm) for the shop

Xiao3 Meng4
08-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi,

Sounds like you've lucked out! Preparing formulas is a great way to learn Chinese Pharmaceutical herbology. Plus, If you have a book on formulas to study, you can start taking note of what kinds of ailments your employer is seeing in his patients. You can also match the formulas to the patients' physiques/personalities, giving you a pinch of diagnostic learning as well.

Happy measuring! :)

CSP

bodhitree
08-16-2007, 04:14 AM
Hi,

Sounds like you've lucked out! Preparing formulas is a great way to learn Chinese Pharmaceutical herbology. Plus, If you have a book on formulas to study, you can start taking note of what kinds of ailments your employer is seeing in his patients. You can also match the formulas to the patients' physiques/personalities, giving you a pinch of diagnostic learning as well.

Happy measuring! :)

CSP

Thanks, I do really feel lucky to have this weekend job! Plus the doc is actually a friend. She is really interested in the whole well being of her clients, so I tell some of them who don't speak English about a volunteer organization I used to work for that teaches ESL for free. It's a pretty positive experience.

Xiao3 Meng4
08-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks, I do really feel lucky to have this weekend job! Plus the doc is actually a friend. She is really interested in the whole well being of her clients, so I tell some of them who don't speak English about a volunteer organization I used to work for that teaches ESL for free. It's a pretty positive experience.

Arrgh, chauvinism strikes again! :o :D

CSP