PDA

View Full Version : Bak Hsing Ping Kuen

Satori Science
08-14-2007, 06:47 AM
I believe this guy is coming thru the Maser Yip Tse Fei line (correct me if I'm wrong)
His Ping Kuen is pretty close to the one in my lineage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdT5fR2RTKs

enjoy

extrajoseph
08-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Choy Sisuk studied with Poon Lum who in turn studied with Kong On. The Hung Ching Tong is well-kown for their lion dance and Fut Fat (Buddhist practices) in Hong Kong.

CLFNole
08-15-2007, 09:15 AM
XJ:

Is Poon Lum the sifu who put out the Ng Lun Ma book that has the pictures depicting the set? The person in the depication has a "que" (not sure about the spelling) with the half shaven Wong Fei Hung movie style hair.

extrajoseph
08-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Here is a picture of Poon Lum:

http://www.hungchingtong.com/new_page_2.htm

extrajoseph
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
CLFNole,

BTW. What happened to the thread on the Fu Tow Pai?

XJ

extrajoseph
08-15-2007, 09:27 AM
XJ:

Is Poon Lum the sifu who put out the Ng Lun Ma book that has the pictures depicting the set? The person in the depication has a "que" (not sure about the spelling) with the half shaven Wong Fei Hung movie style hair.

I think you are referring to the picture book that was done through Guangzhou Poon Dik, who was a student of Chan Yiu-Chi. They are not related.

Satori Science
08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Okay Poon Lum, that makes more sense thanks. Poon Lum's name was in the title... (whoops)

Not sure how, but yeah I confused him for a Sifu in the Yip Tse Fei line,the form did looked very similar to a Kong Hing Hoi Jong

cheers:D

CLFNole
08-15-2007, 10:37 AM
XJ:

Poon Dik was my sigung. I believe he was a student of Wong Fook Wing and Leung Kwai, unless we are talking about another Poon Dik.

I was also wondering what happened with that thread perhaps Frank or one of the moderators deleted it. I think KennyFist showed up under another alternate name and maybe someone say the same end result as in prior threads so they removed it.

There is a picture in my book of the sifu, who I remember has the surname Poon but I don't remember the rest of his name. In the picture he was very old but I do recall my wife translating some of it and it said he followed Chan Yiu Chi. I'll get the wife to read me his name again.

sanjuro_ronin
08-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Al this talk of Poon is making me hungry.
:D

CLFNole
08-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Who is this AL guy?

CLFNole
08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
XJ:

I remember now the book was done by Poon Fun, not Poon Dik (my sigung).

lkfmdc
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
I heard that Poon Dik is Poon Fun

sanjuro_ronin
08-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I heard that Poon Dik is Poon Fun

:eek:
You guys don't make it easy do you?

CLFNole
08-15-2007, 11:56 AM
I guess you will be appearing at the Improv all week right? :rolleyes:

extrajoseph
08-15-2007, 01:16 PM
XJ:

I remember now the book was done by Poon Fun, not Poon Dik (my sigung).

CLFNole,

You're right, it should be Poon Fun. I always get them mixed up. He also did one for Siu Mui Fa. The drawings were done by one of his students based on his photos.

XJ

sanjuro_ronin
08-15-2007, 01:21 PM
What? drawings of Poon?
Where ?

CLFNole
08-15-2007, 01:45 PM
XJ:

I don't have the siu moi fah book but I think he may have also done a ng lun choy book as well. I haven't had much luck in tracking them down to add to my collection.

The artistic drawings are rather cool.

Was I correct in that Poon Fun was a student of Chan Yiu Chi? Did he teach in HK or China?

extrajoseph
08-15-2007, 02:02 PM
CLFNole,

I am travelling at the moment so I can't check my collections of books, Poon Fun is still going strong in Guangzhou (Canton) where he has taught all his life and he is very close to Chan Wan Han and his family. His books are a good reference to what Chan Yiu Chi had passed down.

I liked the drawing as well, someone told me the artist had studied in Paris but that could have been mixed up with Li Iu-Ling's student who painted the oil portrait of Chan Heung based on an earlier charcoal sketch. This artist from Hong Kong did studied in Paris and he did a good job from what I can see of the original drawing.

The portrait that is hanging now in the King Mui Ancestral Hall is a second general copy, I thought it lacked the life of the first oil painting but that is only my opinion.

XJ

CLFNole
08-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah I have noticed different versions of the Chan Hueng painting and one is clearly better than the other.

Safe travels.