PDA

View Full Version : Why not...

VingDragon
08-15-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm watching a lot of yongchun videos on the net and I said, why not to share something form my archive.
Here is some basic chisao drills and applications with my Yong Chun friend from Chicago. I know it is not perfect example of master class but I hope you will comment it i right way. Material recorded in 2004. A little boring so I've added some music in background.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rR-f_8uO6Oo

:)

byond1
08-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Great show Derek. Your buddy is lucky you took it easy, and "played nice" -You kepted firm control always. Great Job.
- I really appreciate how you include Throws, Sweeps, Locks, takedowns, with the format. IMO thats required to turn Chi Sau into a multi dimensional tool, that will have real time applicability. I cant wait to meet and train!!

Brian

VingDragon
08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks Brian,
let me know when and where we can meet and practise, ofcourse before a trip to HK

:)

honestly saying I have always troubles to apply wrestling and ground fighting techniques into Wing Chun so on the clip I was trying to do it in natural way.
Off course it goes easy with a lighter sparring partner then with a bigger opponent.
That "sparring" had to proove that its not so easy to apply Wing Chun against the wrestler or bigger person. The skinny guy is experienced Wing Chun practitioner and very skilled in his style. Confrontation of two different styles can be difficult to each other in applications, I think

rogerclf1
08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
hey ving dragon, does your friend from chicago teach a class. I am looking for a wing chun class to supplement CLF. thanks.

VingDragon
08-16-2007, 02:10 PM
yes, i think he is a wingtzun instructor at ebmas in chicago

monji112000
08-17-2007, 10:39 AM
its great you are trying to add wrestling and clinching into your chi sao. I would love to do that.. but at the moment my wrestling/clinching isn't that hot. I don't have anyone in my area who does both. Maybe I could find someone when I move back to NY.

only suggestions are to try and blend the ranges more without leaving yourself open, try to keep static grabbing out of your chi sao, if you get stuck in clinch range start pummeling for under hooks or for thai clinch. It would be interesting to play with moving from chi sao rolling hands setup with something then get into clinch range, pummel setup and get back into normal chi sao range.

when you take his back don't just stop. Choke him or trip him, knee ect.. thats the whole point of taking his side or back. You don't have to do it full force or even half force.

VingDragon
08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
monji, thanks for your answer, I really appreciate any comments.
I will try to make some changes in my actions, thx for correcting me.

wing chun as a method has a lot of great concepts of fight. For example, when I watch a MMA fights or real street fights it also changes my point of view. Practically there is no good wingchun fight recorded on video on the net. Most of people share their demos or wingchun techniques which everone knows already.

I think, in real is different and when we practise a sticky hands we should apply as many techniques as its possible to feel comfortable and feel real power of the system we practice. However, oponent, is only living person and he has right to fight back, to protect himself etc...

My video is only a short example of play and discussion about the applications. We just recorded for our private use. Thanks to that I did learned something and I hope my friend also did. Thanks to your or anybody comments we should have another point of view on our practice.

My question is: do you practice like that, too? What would you do if....

monji112000
08-21-2007, 06:46 AM
If you mean free chi sao, yes I do on and off. I am not a grappler, so I don't combine the ranges, but Its a interesting idea. I have seen some attempts and they were really bad. See for it to be really good chi sao, you don't want to open yourself up for strike, when you transition and try a "choke" or whatever. When I get some skill (clinching, and ground) maybe I will find someone try and combine the three worlds (striking range or normal chi sao, clinching, transitioning to the ground).

monji112000
08-22-2007, 06:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqbm-HAQbNw

basic pummeling, into a under shoulder position. You can go for the choke or the takedown. I haven't figured a way to transition into pummeling smoothly... from striking in chi sao... but I have some ideas... nobody to really practice on though (most people aren't interested). If you go for the choke or the take down the other person should practice the defenses just as much as you are practicing the offenses.

If you make sure to keep the basic ideas of CHi sao , then you can mix anything into it (I believe). Stick, flow (not fast or slow just smooth), protect yourself at all times, good stance, cover, use technique ect..

about 1:21 in your clip you get into a spot where both of you could have started pummeling. Pummeling is very similar to chi sao rolling, its very useful and you can go for underhooks or the neck(back of head) for a thai style clinch.

VingDragon
08-23-2007, 02:35 PM
thank you for sharing interesting video clip.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqbm-HAQbNw"]about 1:21 in your clip you get into a spot where both of you could have started pummeling
yes, I can see that. there is also counter technique against that movement and I did it :)