PDA

View Full Version : YouTube : of GM Ip Chun and my Sifu

Grizzlygrime
08-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Footage from Sunday the 4th August in Hong Kong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ABitil6qE

It was my 1st trip to Hong Kong, cant wait to get back there!

k gledhill
08-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Ive chi-saoed with Yip Chun too...and Yip Ching. Nice guy's.

Liddel
08-18-2007, 05:47 PM
As the son of GM Ip he deserves some respect from the larger VT family.

But IMHO these displays are a little disapointing for me.

I see some of the basics, from my own perspective being broken....

The repetitve crossing of Ip Chuns hands at 4, 36, 57 secs and at 1.00 min flat for me is one such example.

Ive also noticed this habbit in his books.....

Im not sure of the real context - are they just having fun, perhaps he does it on purpose to show his "way out" etc etc. (Being open minded here)

Im not trying to dog on the guy...its just where i train this is a no no and is drilled and trained to be avoided if at all possible. I believe everyone in the VT family should have the skills in early Chi Sao to not do this, let alone someone of his longevity in the art. :rolleyes:

Am i being fair ? Does anyone else share my view, why, why not ?

Anyway thanks for sharing Grizzlygrime,

Props to Sifu Rawcliffe for having that control.

DREW

VingDragon
08-18-2007, 07:06 PM
I do :)
but this is normal thing in this age to make such mistakes. no one is perfect and no one is unbeatable even if its a fameous Yip Man's son. He looks angry on the video, I don't see any 'fun' in it.

Grizzlygrime
08-19-2007, 04:26 AM
I spoke to my Sifu ' Shaun Rawcliffe' about the demo i posted above, the next day,

he explained to me that there was a few moments in the display that was purely for display purposes, the whole seminar was top notch

About 10 minutes later IP Chun offered to Chi Sao with any one, people jumped at the chance,

One guy made the mistake of trying to test Ip Chun's skills, and got slapped left right & centre, not really my place to post that clip tho

Fingers crossed will we all be as fit as him at 84 years old :eek:

k gledhill
08-20-2007, 06:08 AM
I'd like to see that clip..... we see enough 'demos' .

Nick Forrer
08-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Ip Chun is good at the 'game' of chi sau, but lets just say this sort of 'demo' is not my cup of tea.

Still....good that he remains active at 84 when many others of that age are confined to their chairs.