PDA

View Full Version : Help with choice of martial arts

Fedor
08-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Hey everyone,
I am a 40ish guy who is taking dragon kung ( lung ying). ,consider taking a 2nd martial art. which is baji chuan ( Liu Yun Qiao lineage thus little piqua) , huo baji or bagua( the teacher here , wants to teach xing yi with bagua). Both teachers are good. One of the reasons I want add one of these,through my teacher recommendation to take a internal art now also, ( not that dragon is totally external, initially it is, later becoming more internal, just like other chinese martials). No offense to tai chi. Just not me.Also, I need a long range fighting system also.Thus , the question is which of these choices would work or at least not hinder dragon kung fu learning. Thanks for your help

Sifu Darkfist
08-18-2007, 11:54 PM
the art of perfefct timing ang the entire body in strikes is always a wise decision.

if you have a biased teacher than maybe you will cheap out and not train the whole body.
otherwise i can not see why anyone would forsake a timing art like baji.

(i am biased) but not stupid

for long range i use praying mantis and baji basics and pf course pigua
for second third and fourth i use baji with bagua and a bit of tai ji

Ben Gash
08-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Baji would be a great supplement for Lungying, but none of the options you've listed is especially long range.

John Takeshi
08-19-2007, 05:18 AM
Hey everyone,
I am a 40ish guy who is taking dragon kung ( lung ying). ,consider taking a 2nd martial art. which is baji chuan ( Liu Yun Qiao lineage thus little piqua) , huo baji or bagua( the teacher here , wants to teach xing yi with bagua). Both teachers are good. One of the reasons I want add one of these,through my teacher recommendation to take a internal art now also, ( not that dragon is totally external, initially it is, later becoming more internal, just like other chinese martials). No offense to tai chi. Just not me.Also, I need a long range fighting system also.Thus , the question is which of these choices would work or at least not hinder dragon kung fu learning. Thanks for your help

I like tiger stance. Do you only go for dragon stance? Tiger stance is fun, and it makes you vicious when you fight. For internal arts, I like praying mantis. It's very spiritual when you do bung bo.

SPJ
08-19-2007, 12:12 PM
I would have voted for all of the above.

learn some basics from several styles.

and then take or keep whatever your like.

:D

wiz cool c
08-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I like tiger stance. Do you only go for dragon stance? Tiger stance is fun, and it makes you vicious when you fight. For internal arts, I like praying mantis. It's very spiritual when you do bung bo.

You don't even know what tiger stance is you ****in ****.

SPJ
08-20-2007, 07:08 AM
the body methods and stepping methods are different.

some tidbits about the styles mentioned.

Huo Dian Ge is the first or eldest student of Li Shu Wen.

Master Liu is the last or close door student of Li.

Ba Gua is youngest style.

The pushing power or Ding Jin is stressed in Ba Ji.

The circularly extending power or Yuan Cheng Jin is the main thing in Ba Gua.

Xing yi has the 5 elements, 12 animals, and 8 characters (?) moves. They cover different directional powers.

--

have fun.

:)

NJM
08-20-2007, 10:14 AM
No offense to tai chi. Just not me.

-----Orly?