PDA

View Full Version : Fist of Fury vs Fist of Legend

Nebuchadnezzar
08-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Ok ladies and gentleman.

The actual title of "Chinese Connection" is "Fist of Fury" starring Bruce Lee (I don't to this day understand the US title for this film) and "Fist of Legend" was the Jet Li version.

Which in your opinion is the better, version of the Chen Zeng story (even though they are both fictional accounts) and fight scenes that take place after after Huo Yuanjia's death?

Personally, I think Jet's character would have been more than likely be Huo's student than Bruce's character based on what history says about Huo Yuanjia.

kungpowmaster
08-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Well, I can't figure out how to vote. But my vote goes for the Bruce Lee version, and I haven't even seen the Jet Lee movie. But I say this, because Fist of Fury and the Chinese Connection are the only 2 good movies Bruce made, and they were both greatm and Jet Lee is about the worst martial arts "actor" ever. His only good movie was Unleashed, and that was just because the story was good, anyone could have done that role as well.

Chosen One

Nebuchadnezzar
08-19-2007, 05:38 PM
That would invalidate your vote. How can you express an opinion without seeing both? :confused:

How many Jet Li films have you seen? Sounds like only Unleashed which was the one Not to see.

As to Bruce Lee's acting, he couldn't compared to Jet Li. Bruce's best acting wasn't even on the big screen, it was on the small screen. His worst acting was on the big screen. His best performance in the theatre was Way of the Dragon.

He was better in his appearance on Longstreet back in 1971 and on the Green Hornet in the late '60's.

NJM
08-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Fist of Fury and the Chinese Connection are the only 2 good movies Bruce made

Fist of Fury and the Chinese Connection are two titles for the same movie. Maybe you were thinking "Fists of Fury" which was originally "The Big Boss."

Jimbo
08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
The U.S. release of Fist of Fury was called "Chinese Connection" because about a year earlier the hit film "The French Connection" had been released, hence the U.S. distributors' desire to draw an audience by piggybacking off of that title. Which was dumb, because those movies' original titles already fit them fine.

Nebuchadnezzar
08-19-2007, 10:02 PM
The U.S. release of Fist of Fury was called "Chinese Connection" because about a year earlier the hit film "The French Connection" had been released, hence the U.S. distributors' desire to draw an audience by piggybacking off of that title. Which was dumb, because those movies' original titles already fit them fine.

Thanks for the explaining that for me. Your timing was fantastic. Then the US distributors messed around and changed the title of Way of The Dragon to Return of the Dragon. Further confusion comes in when Enter the Dragon comes out after Return of the Dragon. How can there be a "Return" when he hasn't "Entered" yet?

You must be a fellow Movie Buff. :D

jethro
08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
There is no way I can decide. Fist of Legend obviously has better action but both of these movies are 2 of my top 10 favorites. FIst of Fury (Chinese Connection) is a great all around movie. I just can't decide!

And Kungpowmaster, you should see the Once Upon a Time in China series and Fearless. Jet Li is a magnificent actor. He is also great in Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2.

NJM
08-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Would anyone agree with me if I said the worst Jet Li movie was either Unleashed or The One?

yutyeesam
08-20-2007, 01:31 AM
If there were no Fist of Fury, there'd be no Fist of Legend.

Fist of Fury spawned the whole Chinese vs. Japanese martial arts battles which was the basis for many a Kung-Fu movie.

You can argue till you're blue in the face about how much better of a movie Fist of Legend is in comparison to Fist of Fury...

...but Fist of Fury was a revolution in the genre of MA films that had FAR more social and cultural impact than Fist of Legend could ever have.

GeneChing
08-20-2007, 09:18 AM
If you were there when Fist of Fury/Chinese Connection was released, you know the impact it had worldwide. Fist of Legend, while a superb film, was overlooked by those outside the martial arts film genre.

There's another rumor about the Fist/Fists title that the film canisters got switched when they were imported, casing even more confusion. It's way up there with the Wheels on Meals title story.

And the worst Jet Li film was Dr. Wai in 'The Scripture with No Words'. Compared to that, the One and Unleashed were oscar material. :o

sanjuro_ronin
08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
The sound effects in the Chinese Connection are too funny ( dubber version of course), the fight with the Russian has some awesome ones, creaky foot work and Bruce yelling like a Donkey who's nuts are in a vice.

Fist of Legend was great, the fight between Li and the Funakoshi character was too cool, love it when he stops Li from starting the fight to "stretch out a bit", LOL !!

banditshaw
08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
I liked both films alot.
From a nostalgic point of view, The Chinese Connection still resonates with me more because when I first saw it I was a child and it introduced me to Bruce Lee(it was my first BL film).
I was pretty stoked on Bruce Lee and became a huge fan. Collecting as much as could or what my Mom was willin to buy me :)
As time went on I started to learn some truths as well as Lies about the Legend. But that's another thread altogether, one that doesn't really need to be rehashed in my opinion.

Anyway I thought Fist Of Legend was a brilliant redux of sorts and has one of Japan's Most Bad Ass MA actors Yasuaki Kurata.

Anyone see ''Legend Of A Fighter''?
A Huo Yuanjia story. It was sort of redone as ''Fearless''.

Also The One and Unleashed were terrible compared to Kiss of the Dragon:D

Nebuchadnezzar
08-20-2007, 04:28 PM
....Also The One and Unleashed were terrible compared to Kiss of the Dragon:D

Kiss of the Dragon is on my list of must own Jet Li DVDs, along with Once Upon a Time in China. I already own Fearless, and for comedy relief I own Twin Warriors. I have to see Hero again, I was tired and watching the rental.

Lucas
08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
i said fist of legend.

i enjoy the bruce lee film as well, but i think the choreography and story line in fist of legend was much more well thought out. more in depth, more character, better love interest story, not to mention the fights were way better.

the Funakoshi fight is one of my favorite fight scenes of all time.

Nebuchadnezzar
08-20-2007, 04:39 PM
.......but Fist of Fury was a revolution in the genre of MA films that had FAR more social and cultural impact than Fist of Legend could ever have.

Dream on, "Five Fingers of Death" is the Gold Standard. Fist of Fury only proved the Bruce "Kato" Lee had serious social issues of his own to deal with. Please note, Kato is a Japanese name, not Chinese.

jethro
08-20-2007, 05:05 PM

That is my favorite movie.

yutyeesam
08-20-2007, 05:34 PM
i said fist of legend.

i enjoy the bruce lee film as well, but i think the choreography and story line in fist of legend was much more well thought out. more in depth, more character, better love interest story, not to mention the fights were way better.

the Funakoshi fight is one of my favorite fight scenes of all time.

Well, yeah, of course it's technically better in just about every way. But again, Fist of Legend wouldn't even be a movie to make a comparison with if Fist of Fury were never made. Fist of Legend stands on the back of Fist of Fury. Fist of Fury paved the way for Fist of Legend. It's like comparing an old man Sifu and his son who's now an undefeated champ and a movie star. Fist of Fury was the first of it's kind. Fist of Legend came after many many many Kung-Fu films were made - so, by default, technology got better, choreography skills got better, story writing creativity got better, financing for such films increased, etc, etc.

Dream on, "Five Fingers of Death" is the Gold Standard. Fist of Fury only proved the Bruce "Kato" Lee had serious social issues of his own to deal with. Please note, Kato is a Japanese name, not Chinese.

We're not talking about Five Fingers of Death. This is a comparison between Fist of Fury and Fist of Legend. Compare the social, cultural, and historical impact between Fist of Fury and Fist of Legend.

Nebuchadnezzar
08-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, yeah, of course it's technically better in just about every way. But again, Fist of Legend wouldn't even be a movie to make a comparison with if Fist of Fury were never made. Fist of Legend stands on the back of Fist of Fury. Fist of Fury paved the way for Fist of Legend. It's like comparing an old man Sifu and his son who's now an undefeated champ and a movie star. Fist of Fury was the first of it's kind. Fist of Legend came after many many many Kung-Fu films were made - so, by default, technology got better, choreography skills got better, story writing creativity got better, financing for such films increased, etc, etc.

We're not talking about Five Fingers of Death. This is a comparison between Fist of Fury and Fist of Legend. Compare the social, cultural, and historical impact between Fist of Fury and Fist of Legend.

It's my party. What impact are you referring to? It was a CHEAP movie made off the back of the Green Hornet! Using your logic, there would be no Fist of Fury without The Green Hornet.

yutyeesam
08-21-2007, 12:59 AM
It's my party. What impact are you referring to? It was a CHEAP movie made off the back of the Green Hornet! Using your logic, there would be no Fist of Fury without The Green Hornet.

Wrong. Fist of Fury was made off the back of THE BIG BOSS, not the Green Hornet TV show. But let me entertain your logic for one sec:
Green Hornet--> Creating the concept of the TV Show Kung-Fu with showbiz people he met b/c of the Green Hornet--> Pizzed that he didn't get the role--> Talk to James Coburn and went to SE Asia to make movies instead of being on TV--> Made The Big Boss--> Made Fist of Fury.
So yes, the way events played out in his career, he did need to go through the Green Hornet experience in order to ultimately decide to make movies.

But again, you go outside the realm of the topic of discussion. Please read my previous posts about the impact Fist of Fury made. If you can't see it, then you never will, so in your mind, Fist of Fury will be an impactless movie, which is perfectly fine if you really want to believe that. End of discussion.

sanjuro_ronin
08-21-2007, 07:00 AM

Fearless was pretty good, never seen Legend of a fighter, is it any good or more along the lines of cheesy good ?

banditshaw
08-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Fearless was pretty good, never seen Legend of a fighter, is it any good or more along the lines of cheesy good ?

Well like most Yuen Wo Ping movies from the 70's he always manages to put some Canto comedy elements in it.
Aside from that it's a pretty **** good action movie.
The English Dub has some funny/cheesy elements but that's to be expected.

banditshaw
08-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Back to the Fist Of Fury Topic.
Let's not forget Who lured Bruce under the noses of the Shaws...that would be Raymond Chow and his Golden Harvest Films. I think RC had a link thru mutual friends and heard about Bruce in the US being very disilussioned by the American Film and TV experience he had.
Remember Bruce was a kid actor so RC knew he could act somewhat.

So I think Raymond Chow was the catalyst in Bruce's career in SE Asia.

Lucas
08-21-2007, 09:49 AM
its a given things will improve with time.

its like saying that Fist of Fury aka chinese connection is riding on the back of the first movie ever made.

where would fist of fury be without wizard of oz's color?

one thing that never really improves with time though is the talent of a good writer.

you will find masters of script who shadow modern writers that lived hundreds of years ago.

the writing in fist of legend was FAR superior to fist of fury.

more talent in the script alone. well....more talent as a whole.

i get what your saying that fist of legend might not have been made, or be the same or what ever. but talent is one thing that does not really evolve. ive seen better choreography from movies that PREDATE fist of fury, so the time thing is not really an issue.

talent is talent

one thing fist of fury will never have on fist of legend:

Yuen Woo Ping

plain and simple. beats bruce every time hands down

dont get me wrong i love bruces version. for what it is. a classic.

Nebuchadnezzar
08-21-2007, 11:44 AM
....talent is talent

one thing fist of fury will never have on fist of legend:

Yuen Woo Ping

plain and simple. beats bruce every time hands down

dont get me wrong i love bruces version. for what it is. a classic.

Which was the point when I created this thread. I specifically asked which was better and got responses of the nature that would give someone the impression that Fist of Fury had some earth shaking lesson to teach and some world changing impact.

Did it end hunger? Did it end wars? Did it make everyone hold hands and sing Kum Bi Ya and the original Coke theme song? NO. But we have people looking for it to mean something. It was a movie and nothing more. Get over it already.

Yes, everything about it made it a better MOVIE than the first. From Casting to Script to Choreography and down to the smallest set detail. Fist of Legend is a BETTER movie.

Bruce's better performance as an ACTOR was in Way of the Dragon when it came to the big screen.

banditshaw
08-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Which was the point when I created this thread. I specifically asked which was better and got responses of the nature that would give someone the impression that Fist of Fury had some earth shaking lesson to teach and some world changing impact.

Did it end hunger? Did it end wars? Did it make everyone hold hands and sing Kum Bi Ya and the original Coke theme song? NO. But we have people looking for it to mean something. It was a movie and nothing more. Get over it already.

Yes, everything about it made it a better MOVIE than the first. From Casting to Script to Choreography and down to the smallest set detail. Fist of Legend is a BETTER movie.

Bruce's better performance as an ACTOR was in Way of the Dragon when it came to the big screen.

LOL. True Dat.
Even though My favorite out of the two is Fists Of Fury. I have to agree that the OVERALL production of Fist Of Legend was better by scores.
I think Bruce was just hitting his stride in WOTD. He was definitely more relaxed.