PDA

View Full Version : One inch punch

Johnny Hot Shot
06-21-2001, 08:07 AM
How can you generate power for a one inch punch?

Forgive my ignorance.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

gorilla-sweat
06-23-2001, 03:45 AM
buy the book "Bruce's one and three inch punch" by james Demile and learn

edward
07-01-2001, 02:22 PM
well its not just pure structure, but structure is one of hte main ingredients

here you can see one demonstrated

http://www.windycitywingchun.com/movies/1inch.mpg

David
07-05-2001, 05:13 PM
Bruce Lee (TM) advocated the method of thrusting from the back foot, up to the shoulder and out to the hand. That's what a Hsing Yi guy told me, anyway.

Chow Gar does it by simply closing the rib cage and directing the force out the way you want it to go (legs/arms/whetever).

Are there any other methods?

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

shaolinboxer
07-05-2001, 07:26 PM
Place your fist on the wall, as if you were doing a lead hand strike.

Lift your front foot.

Push with your foot that is still on the floor into the wall through your fist.

That is the structure you are looking for.

tnwingtsun
07-13-2001, 01:32 PM
Add dragon back,its a tight whipping action that your back does almost like a wave.

Jeff
07-22-2001, 05:10 AM
One way to do a 1 inch punch is learn to accelerate at an extremely fast rate within a short distance, because speed increases power.
Work your way shorter and shorter (i.e., 1st week 12 inch., then 11, then 10, etc.) and keep it on your centerline for power.

Ish
07-25-2001, 12:07 PM
At my wing chun club we practice using yellow pages. One person holds it and the other hits it.

IronFist
07-27-2001, 05:45 AM
I don't like that video that was posted. While his setup is right, and his body mechanics are good, he still pulls his hand back before he strikes (as opposed to going ONLY forward and having no backwards, thus creating more than one inch, movement).

Don't flame me with "yeah well he could kick your arse," because he probably could. I'm just über-critical of people who say they can "one inch punch."

Iron

remo
07-27-2001, 06:19 AM
Iron,

Yeah, I noticed that too. They're also only using one telephone book. Kind of looks like a demo for the camera. When you start blasting this punch, a person really shouldn't use less than two books. I duct tape both the white and yellow pages together. (and even at that, with the three inch punch you feel the burn) :eek:

vegeta
07-27-2001, 02:22 PM
i used to train wiv this guy called Aamer Tariq who sadly has passed away he tried to teach us the one inch pounch, i still remember holdin the kickin pad infront of me when he did it oooooh owww the pain and straight through the kickin pad as well and i went a couple of feet bak as well becos of the force.
the clip does look dodgy u guys are right

to have no limitation as a limitation (Bruce Lee)