PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Kung Fu?

AintGotNoRiddim
10-24-2001, 07:10 PM
Hi yinz,

I'm a bit of a newbie here, so please go easy on me. :D

Anyway, I was hoping that maybe one of you enlightened fellas could help a poor bewildered kung fu beginer out here and lemme know of any good kung fu schools here in Chicago. I'm not sure what style I'd prefer-- anything with a qualified instructor, really-- but the school has to be easily accessible by CTA or by Metra as I'm a poor college kid who sells his blood to buy books. I've heard Wah Lun Choi out in Irving Park is fantastic, but isn't he kinda pricey? Also, I'm only guaranteed a place in the city until '03 (when I graduate) so I'm a little hesitant about learning something that will be hard to find else where.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

nightair
10-24-2001, 07:27 PM
Sorry, I live over in California. I do know that you guys have the best pizza inn Chicago though. :)

DOH!!

fa_jing
10-24-2001, 07:46 PM
Kung Fu Academy of Chicago, it's right by Loyola, Red line. Sheridan + Pratt streets. Master Kwan was in some kung fu movies in China. The main style is 7-Star praying mantis -the training is very serious and traditional, no slouching or you might be doing pushups. I train semi-private ot the school in Wing Chun, with Sifu Johnson. If this location does not suit you, I understand there is a top-notch Southern-style school closer to downtown. You need to be careful picking a school. One school, Golden Eagle Martial Arts, tricked me into signing up for a contract, which they didn't even give me a copy of. Their school is terrible, white belts were leading the class, which is illegal. It's a long story, but I never took a single class there, yet they were charging me. Some schools are just out to make money, be extremely careful. If you want more advice, just tell me which area you are looking at. -FJ

fa_jing
10-24-2001, 07:59 PM
I just checked out your profile, it would probably be a long haul for you to get up to the Northside on Public trans. If you have a car, the trip would only be 1/2 hour assuming light traffic. My fellow student drives up from Bolingbrook once a week - that's dedication!
Another friend trains at Degerberg, but I thinks that's also out of the way. Since your at U of C, why don't you just look for a club in Chinatown? Pull up the map in Yahoo and do a search for nearby businesses. -FJ

KC Elbows
10-25-2001, 01:21 AM
There's also a guy named Zhang Hongchao, he's at a new location which, from what I understand is accessible for you. When I went, it was "Zhang's tai chi and wellnes center", or something like that. He's a very good teacher, but he'll only teach you to fight well if you have good character. His prices are very good. Mind you, Choi is pricey, but he's also a phenomenal fighter.

Anyway, good luck.

SevenStar
10-25-2001, 08:39 AM
Chinese Kuo Shu Training Center
2112 W. Roscoe, Chicago, IL 60618-6220. (773) 244-6592

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

joedoe
10-25-2001, 08:41 AM
Welcome to the forum.

But as I live in Oz, I cannot recommend any good schools in your area :D

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Water Dragon
10-25-2001, 03:43 PM
If you want to take the South Shore from 59th street into Indiana, you can come play with me. It's about a 20 minute train ride. No charge, just train hard.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

AintGotNoRiddim
10-26-2001, 10:10 PM
Everyone- Thank you so very much for the helpful info.

Water Dragon-
"If you want to take the South Shore from 59th street into Indiana, you can come play with me. It's about a 20 minute train ride. No charge, just train hard."

Sounds interesting, Water Dragon. I just might take you up on your offer. What styles do you do? Where in Indiana are you located? The 59th St. Metra stop is only a few blocks walk for me, so taking the train in to Indiana to train is entirely feasable. Drop me an email, and we'll talk.

Royal Dragon
10-27-2001, 12:11 AM
.....how about the west suburbs. I'm in Addison, and I'll soon be in Downers Grove. So far, the only Kung Fu guy close to me (that I know of)is a Jeet Kun Do guy, and me!!!

Royal Dragon

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

Water Dragon
10-27-2001, 12:55 AM
Cool, my e-mail's lzolper@hotmail.com What I'm doing now is basically push hands and throws from Shuai Chiao. I definately ain't no master but have enough info so you can figure out how to toss someone. I'm also just getting into a 100 day stance holding routine if you want to do that, if not, that's cool also.

It'd definately be more of a two guys whooping on each other than a Teacher/Student deal but hey, that's what makes it fun. :D

I like figuring out what the hell works for real so I'd like to get a little rolling in as well.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

buddhistfist
10-27-2001, 03:47 AM
check out www.liuhopafa.com (http://www.liuhopafa.com) the schoool is in chicago

AintGotNoRiddim
10-27-2001, 11:17 PM
Water Dragon, Royal Dragon,

Check your email, guys.

-N.

MonkeySlap Too
10-27-2001, 11:40 PM
Royal Dragon - one town or two over is The Golden Mountain Kung Fu academy. Real kung fu, hardcore place. I sent one of my top fighters there after I moved away.

Highly recommended, but hard to get in to.

I also have former students all over that area.

AGNR - check out WD - he's probably easiest for you to get to, and he's right on target as far as training goes.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

taijiquan_student
10-28-2001, 01:19 AM
I don't have any info about him, but I think Wei Sun Liao(sp?) is in Chicago. He does taiji, and I've heard he's good. Sorry I couldn't be of much help, and good luck finding a teacher!

"Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Sow Choy
10-28-2001, 05:35 PM
Check out Ng Family Martial Arts, Sifu Sam Ng and his son sifu Phillip Ng. They both are awesome Martial Artists, and great people.

The styles are Choy Lay Fut and Wing Chun.

ngfamilymartialarts.com

(847)818-8281

I know the school is in Chinatown, but better call them for directions, I live in Florida and don't my way around Chicago.

Peace

http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/images/5_29_2big.jpg