PDA

View Full Version : What style is this?

Oso
08-23-2007, 07:25 AM
This is a video article of the IKF Kempo World Championships held in Budapest this past May.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9197218329303318807&q=Kempo+Világbajnokság+2007.+05.+17-19.+Budapest&hl=en

My first teacher who is now doing Kempo, competed in the fighting...I haven't ID'd him in the clip yet.

However, there is a demo starting at 12:55 which appears to be some sort of martial arts from Mongolia or even further east and south??????

They show staff, grappling and archery.

anyone got a clue?

oh, you can skip over most of the clip up to 12:55...it's all interviews, in Hungarian i guess, and short clips of forms and kempo demos...pretty standard fare.

Becca
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Nice medium staff kata! It's Japanese Kenpo, of the Parker variety, not Chinese. Still good quality form demos. Now if only I spoke Hungarian...:eek::D

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Parker was american Kenpo.

Oso
08-24-2007, 02:17 PM
I wasn't talking about the kempo in the majority of the vid but the demo that's starts at 12:55...it's certainly not kempo.

thanks though :)

Becca
08-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Parker was american Kenpo.
Nope, ain't getting drawn into that debate again.

Oso, Japanese kempo has archery and grappling that looks somewhat like judo. I'm 99.9% certain that medium staff form is Japanese. The technique differs from the Chinese version in all the right places to be Japanese.

Oso
08-24-2007, 03:51 PM
hokay, but the asian dudes outfit didn't look japanese of any era, did it?

Nebuchadnezzar
08-24-2007, 05:43 PM
hokay, but the asian dudes outfit didn't look japanese of any era, did it?

I don't know what that was but they couldn't beat this demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evSWG3ry6m4

Guaranteed to take first at any competition.

Black Jack II
08-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Is it just me, or are you all not looking at what Oso is pointing out??

That is not classical japense kempo or american kenpo or any kenpo.

Right in the very start it has the students doing a bokh dance. It's a jig that wrestlers perform in outer or inner Mongolia. I would say its Mongolian wrestling whose artists are also showing off some of its native weapon work, the double bullwhips, the short bow, which btw was very eurasian in design if you look at it in the clip, the staff, some of its conditioning methods, and even wrestling which for the love of me, why some of you thought that was kenpo is odd.

Maybe a native Turkish wrestling set if not some sort of Mongolian wrestling but kenpo or kempo that ain't.

jdhowland
08-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Definitely a Mongolian costume. The recurve bows make sense, too. The stand-up wrestlling could be Mongolian although in formal bouts it would be practiced wearing vests. Hungarians are justifiably proud of their Asian heritage.

Oso
08-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Black Jack. I figured it was something from north of turkey but south of mongolia :)

I was hoping someone could put a name to it.

the stick work reminded me more of that...was it spanish?...stick stuff that I think you posted a while back.

pretty cool that it was included as a demo.

never ID'd my old teacher in the clips, they didn't show too much of the full contact fighting. I think he took a 2nd and a 3rd...in the old guy's division of course ;)