PDA

View Full Version : Dit Dar Jow/Iron Palm

missingfingers
08-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I've just bought some Dit Dar Jow off a martial arts store but the guy who sold it to me just told me to apply it to bruises or soak your entire hand in it after doing the iron palm. My concern is here that from what I've read in the past, there should be preparations such as heating it up and something about using vinegar to extend the life of it.

And if you got the time, can you enlighten me on the drills to do the iron palm? My sifu's iron palm including the medicine cost 600 bucks, I would pay him if I wasn't on such a budget, he probably doesn't have control over the pricing either so I don't want to negotiate with him.

Oh by the way, to reduce the amount of dit dar jow wasted, I soaked a paper towel and applied it to my injured area for about 20 minutes, if anyone sees anything wrong with this, please tell me. I'm new to how to work it.

Thanks.

anerlich
08-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I've intentionally stayed well clear of iron palm training, though I have had good access to it if I ever wanted it. A couple of my contemporaries did a program, but neither of them had a professional job or a relationship (i.e. a life) at the time.

The old Chinese saying is "Iron Palm drives you mad". It takes a high level of commitment to an arduous program, repetitive to the point of driving you nuts. My instructor did it before entering a tournament in HK in the 1980's but ended up breaking his hand anyway (he still won his division).

The use of vinegar, wine, etc. us to create the DDJ from its base herbs. Very simplistically, you get the herbs and boil 'em up in the liquid. You don't need to fiddle with it more after that.

I would strongly suggest you only take advice on this subject from someone with a lot of experience, not the "net of a million lies". Even so called iron palm masters bicker about how to do it properly.

Try and get a hold of the old Ohara book, "Iron Palms in 100 days". But beforehand, ask yourself again "why am I doing this?"

As a healing agent, DDJ applied as recommended by the seller can work well.

YiLiQuan1
08-24-2007, 04:35 AM
I've just bought some Dit Dar Jow off a martial arts store but the guy who sold it to me just told me to apply it to bruises or soak your entire hand in it after doing the iron palm.

Hope you didn't pay too much for it... You can use homegrown herbs, straight out of the garden, to do the same thing very cheaply or for free.

My concern is here that from what I've read in the past, there should be preparations such as heating it up and something about using vinegar to extend the life of it.

Different recipes, different methods, different preparations. I'm sure your grandma and my grandma made their apple pies differently, though they both made apple pies...

And if you got the time, can you enlighten me on the drills to do the iron palm?

See above.

My sifu's iron palm including the medicine cost 600 bucks, I would pay him if I wasn't on such a budget, he probably doesn't have control over the pricing either so I don't want to negotiate with him.

The herbs, purchased from a Chinese medicine shop, should cost no more than $30 US for enough to make batches and batches of the medicine. If it were me, I'd be curious what the $600 was for... My teacher used to provide the information for an entire year's worth of training, essentially the entirety of our Iron Palm method, as well as a gallon of the medicine, all for under $50 - 75 (I don't remember, but I know it was less than that). The amount you're being quoted is exorbitant to say the least...

Oh by the way, to reduce the amount of dit dar jow wasted, I soaked a paper towel and applied it to my injured area for about 20 minutes, if anyone sees anything wrong with this, please tell me. I'm new to how to work it.

If you're on that kind of a budget, go buy the seeds for a comfrey plant (or buy a comfrey plant if you can find it), and plant it in your backyard. Be aware, however, that comfrey will grow like mad and take over whatever area you plant it in. When the leaves are thick and green, tear a few handfuls off, and place them in a pan large enough for your hand to be covered with water. Add the comfrey, add the hand, turn the heat up... Wait... Wait... Wait... When the water is too hot to tolerate, remove the pan from the heat and allow the water to cool. Do this two more times. You'll get essentially the same effect.

Actual Iron Palm medicine is far better than this method, but if you can't afford to make your own, can't get hold of the recipe to make your own, or can't afford your teacher's prices, this'll still do the trick in a pinch.

Good luck.

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2007, 04:41 AM
The old Chinese saying is "Iron Palm drives you mad". It takes a high level of commitment to an arduous program, repetitive to the point of driving you nuts. My instructor did it before entering a tournament in HK in the 1980's but ended up breaking his hand anyway (he still won his division).

I really wonder where stuff like this comes form....

namron
08-27-2007, 04:59 AM
Its the unwholesome vinegar and herb smell that drives you mad.

Nice intro to social leperdom with that stinky brown brew staining the hands.

sanjuro_ronin
08-27-2007, 05:09 AM
Its the unwholesome vinegar and herb smell that drives you mad.

Nice intro to social leperdom with that stinky brown brew staining the hands.

LOL !
Good point !
Though the Jow I use gives you that nice "yellow-orange" stain look like you chain smoke 100 cigarettes every morning for breakfast !

Nick Forrer
08-27-2007, 06:05 AM
I really wonder where stuff like this comes form....

I thought it was the fact that some Jow contains mercury and mecury posioning can lead to insanity.

Hat makers used to use mercury and suffer from this hence the expression 'mad as a hatter'

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-mad2.htm

sanjuro_ronin
08-27-2007, 06:07 AM
I thought it was the fact that some Jow contains mercury and mecury posioning can lead to insanity.

Hat makers used to use mercury and suffer from this hence the expression 'mad as a hatter'

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-mad2.htm

In THAT case, ok.
If its the Jow, I understand, if its the training regime...or the "nature" of the training, then...

Nick Forrer
08-27-2007, 06:12 AM
This might be of interest

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/Expert-Q-A-Forums-c1/Q-A-with-Steve-Morris-f16/body-tempering-t4429.htm

sanjuro_ronin
08-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Interesting thread on that link...

There are many pros and cons to body part tempering, personally, being from a kyokushin background, it was part of the package.
As I got older I made sure I studied up on it and the effects.

To me the biggest issue was one of transfernce.
The majority of body work was static and not very practically oriented in the beginning, the good part is that we "naturally" flowed to "dynamic body conditoning", take a shot WHILE fighting , not just standing there and being ready for it.
World of difference.

Makiwara work should be done relaxed and with a makiwara with give, natural give.
Not gonna have many issues with your joints an dbones if you use a bit of common sense in your tempering.