PDA

View Full Version : why pratice something that isnt there?

Rei
06-28-2001, 12:57 AM
hey,
as any of u im a fan of bruce too and love his art. i jsut have a question tho. why do u practie something that doesn even exist? i mean.. keet kun do isnt a style its a method of aplying a style. to me basicalall u are doing is learning some guys street fighting techniques. itsnot hard to make anythnig pass as jkd. i WOULD take it up but only from bruce himself hes the only one that understood it. nothing clissifies it as JKD cause the only traits that make it so is the short and quick techniques. many style have that.. anyways jsut tell me why u do it and what ur view on it are and all.. i jsut want to understand!

Peace!

*Qui semme le vent, recolte la tempete!*

Daedalus
07-03-2001, 06:07 PM
I agree! But even from Bruce, you would not be learning JKD. You would be learning Jun Fan Gung Fu, which he developed using JKD. :cool:

rogue
07-04-2001, 05:17 AM
So JKD came before JF? Or was it similtaneous?

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

old jong
07-04-2001, 05:28 AM
Sometimes,I have the felling it is harder to learn what is really JKD than doing it :confused:

S.Teebas
07-04-2001, 05:30 AM
Go Rogue!

Debate! Debate! Debate! (Seeing as how we cant fight and all) ;)

S.Teebas

Wu Wei
07-04-2001, 10:37 AM
the way i see it, JKD does exist. It isnt a style, and yes, it is a method. It is a method of developing a personal style. It is a philosophy more than anything. JKD cannot be taught in the physical sense. It can , however, be taught in the theoretical. That is why there are books on it, and this is the only reason why Bruce Lee himself wrote articles relating to JKD.

"Perhaps to avoid making a thing out of a process, I have not yet to date written an article on JKD.
Bruce Lee's handwritten essay "Jeet Kune Do: What it is Not" (also found in "Bruce Lee: Artist of Life" ed. John Little)

Thats should (but doesnt always) do it for most people. There really isnt any complexity here. It(JKD) is how one discovers ones own style. Nothing more.

As for which came first, Jun Fan Gung fu or JKD, I would say it was simultaneous since they were created by the same man in the same personal learning process.

Success is a label made by the insecure.

Daedalus
07-04-2001, 06:02 PM
I agree. Jun Fan was the product of JKD; but at the same time Lee used Jun Fan to shape his JKD philosophy.
JKD was the idea, Jun Fan was the proving ground.

Rei
07-08-2001, 02:01 AM
so the way i see it when u practice JKD ur practicing to just.. perfect ur own fighting style? fair enough :D thanks for the REAL answers and not some stupid replys...

Peace!

*Qui semme le vent, recolte la tempete!*

shaolinboxer
07-08-2001, 09:11 PM
The thing that diferrentiates JKD from simply creating your own style is that the vantage point from which you select your tools is the concept of interception.