PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Teachers?

JGTevo
08-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I've been to several schools and studied Wing Chun for several years. I've been out of training with a Sifu for around 3 years now, but I'm looking to get back into something with a legitimate teacher.

As I said, I've been around to several schools and the majority of them are unfortunately very low quality.

Does anyone know of any in the San Fernando Valley, or surrounding counties? Any good Bak Mei, Southern Praying Mantis, Southern Dragon, White Crane, or Southern Chinese Kung Fu teachers out here? (I know of all the Wing Chun ones out here, Hawkins Cheung, Robert Chu, Gary Lam, Tom Wong, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just assume there are probably a few good teachers out here that don't have a yellow pages listing or website. :)

banditshaw
08-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Sifu Donald Hamby has a school in the San Fernando Valley.
He teaches Southern Style Gung Fu. Hung Kuen and some CLF specifically.

Try and contact him thru his site.

http://www.quandoman.com/index.htm

JGTevo
08-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Alright, I never even heard of his school. Interesting. Anyone else? I'd especially love to learn White Crane or Bak Mei, but I doubt they're around here.

banditshaw
08-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Also look into the Douglas Wong school. I think there is one in the Valley.
I am not 100% sure but I thing Douglas Wong is Bak Mei.

JGTevo
08-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I've had the opprotunity to train with Sifu Wong before. He does his own system of "White Lotus", and has a lot of experience in kung fu and other systems. It was very informative.

On a similar note, does anyone have any recommendations on good Southern Kung Fu books? I'm especially looking for recommendations on older or out of print books, I have no problem searching for them. I have some newer books, like some of Dr. Yang Jwing Ming's collection, Tao of Jeet Kune Do, Book of Five Rings, The Life-Giving Sword, The Unfettered Mind, The Demons Sermons on the Martial Arts, The Art of War, and a few others... however I don't know of any books ever written about Southern Mantis, Bak Mei, I only know of one White Crane book(Dr. Yang's beautiful "The Essense of White Crane"), no Wing chun books around Yip Man's time (only newer books from his disciples)..

Again, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. Also, good books relating to martial arts(not by martial artists, or specifically about martial arts, just applicable) on the subjects of physics, anatomy, biomechanics, psychology, or related fields. Thanks everyone!

desertwingchun2
08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Try going by Barnes Park on the weekends. In the morning there are a few different systems represented out there.

SIFU RON
08-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Also look into the Douglas Wong school. I think there is one in the Valley.
I am not 100% sure but I thing Douglas Wong is Bak Mei.

I recomend Douglas Wong also. I met him at GM Ark Wong's WahQue Studio years back. He has a very good background, as does his wife( Carrie ) .

Regards, Sifu Ron ;)

JGTevo
09-01-2007, 01:33 AM
Many thanks to all who replied. I very much appreciate this information. Barnes park? I haven't heard of it, but I'll search for that, definitely...

banditshaw
09-01-2007, 03:04 AM
Many thanks to all who replied. I very much appreciate this information. Barnes park? I haven't heard of it, but I'll search for that, definitely...

Barnes park is in the Monterey Park area of California. If you didn't already know, Monterey Park has a huge Chinese community. You can find some push hands partners as well as other interesting characters there.
It's been awhile since I've been.