PDA

View Full Version : max heart rate

BruceSteveRoy
08-24-2007, 09:45 AM
i was at the gym last night and i was on the eliptical and i went for 30 minutes and then in the last two minutes i decided to 'sprint' and just go all out. my heart rate got up to 200 and the machine shut off. my max heart rate should be about 193 according to the calculation. i was wondering is it bad for your heart to exceed the max heart rate?

before last night the highest my heart rate ever gor was 186 my resting is usually in the high 40s low 50s. this was my first cardio exercise in about a month because i was nursing an injury. not sure if any of that is relavent.

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2007, 09:51 AM
i was at the gym last night and i was on the eliptical and i went for 30 minutes and then in the last two minutes i decided to 'sprint' and just go all out. my heart rate got up to 200 and the machine shut off. my max heart rate should be about 193 according to the calculation. i was wondering is it bad for your heart to exceed the max heart rate?

before last night the highest my heart rate ever gor was 186 my resting is usually in the high 40s low 50s. this was my first cardio exercise in about a month because i was nursing an injury. not sure if any of that is relavent.

Your resting heart rate is in the high 40's to low 50's ?

BruceSteveRoy
08-24-2007, 10:14 AM
yes :filler:

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2007, 10:26 AM
yes :filler:

Then what seems to be your concern.

Pork Chop
08-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I've broken 200 on the elliptical but it didn't shut off.
It wasn't by much though- either 202 or 204, having a hard time remembering.

BruceSteveRoy
08-24-2007, 11:54 AM
well it didnt just turn off it went on pause and then when my heart rate got back below 200 it resumed but as soon as i started up again and my heart rate hit 200 it paused again.

and sanjuro the concern isnt the resting heart rate its the max heart rate. i have never gone over it and i was just wondering if anyone knows whether it is bad for your heart to over exert it. i mean 193 is not the "max" the heart will go but there is a reason that it is considered the max. so does that mean it is the max it can safely go? i just want to make sure i am not going to cause any damage.

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
well it didnt just turn off it went on pause and then when my heart rate got back below 200 it resumed but as soon as i started up again and my heart rate hit 200 it paused again.

and sanjuro the concern isnt the resting heart rate its the max heart rate. i have never gone over it and i was just wondering if anyone knows whether it is bad for your heart to over exert it. i mean 193 is not the "max" the heart will go but there is a reason that it is considered the max. so does that mean it is the max it can safely go? i just want to make sure i am not going to cause any damage.

if your resting heart rate is that of a world class endurnace athlete, like Lance Armstrong, then I don't see what your concerns are above going over a TARGET MAx rate, its not as if it is your "true Max".

BruceSteveRoy
08-24-2007, 12:19 PM
if your resting heart rate is that of a world class endurnace athlete, like Lance Armstrong, then I don't see what your concerns are above going over a TARGET MAx rate, its not as if it is your "true Max".

i dont think high 40s low 50s is anything uncommon. lance armstrong's resting is 32-34bpm. thats world class.

http://www.answers.com/topic/lance-armstrong

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2007, 12:27 PM
i dont think high 40s low 50s is anything uncommon. lance armstrong's resting is 32-34bpm. thats world class.

http://www.answers.com/topic/lance-armstrong

Yes and some are even in the high 20's, point being if you have a better than average resting heart rate I don't see why you would worry about exceeding a target max heartrate.

stout
09-11-2007, 10:18 AM
no body mentioned the drugs all these world class althelets takes....

It's not bad to go over your max heart rate if you have good base endurance training. guys like armstrong or competition types cyclists spend their winters, doing spins at about 60% of their max heart rate, which is roughly about 120 heart beats per minutes in your average person, a pace which you can still have a conversation with your buddy. They do this for anywhere between 2-6 hours many times a week. This basically build your base fitness, your ability to absorb oxygen, which is baiscally the size of your engine. This base fitness determines your ability to maintain your performance peak over the long run. Endurance folks only train for speed, power seriously, once this type of base training has been done. You can train for any of those things but your form will be short lived unless you have done base work. I guess thats OK for tournaments. Comparing armstrong to tournament fighters is like apples vs oranges.

Most determined people can reach or surpass their max heart rate given the challenge but guys like armstrong can do it over and over again in one event, because they have the base and lots of high intensity training.

I guess it's ok to stress your body like so, once you have done the basic perparation but since we are only born with so many ticks in our ticker, I can't imagine it's that great for you.

stout
09-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Yes and some are even in the high 20's, point being if you have a better than average resting heart rate I don't see why you would worry about exceeding a target max heartrate.

You must remember that these guys are freaks. They spend 6-8 hours cycling for 21 days on the tour de france and everyone is on doped. Unless you do all these things. Don't compare yourself to them or anyone else. If you have seen a tour cyclist, they are like greyhounds. Their rest pulse are exceptional low towards the end of long event, because their heart is tired. Some people are born with high rest pulse and others low.

If your rest pulse is at 50s you must already be quite fit. But you could be born with a rest pulse of 50, who knows. keep a fitness log with vital stats and look at them over the years and see how your body is developing.

stout
09-11-2007, 10:45 AM
this was my first cardio exercise in about a month because i was nursing an injury. not sure if any of that is relavent.

sounds like you went gungho. yes, this is bad. it's a big shock to your system, if you haven't done anything in a month. It might explain why your pulse went over 200. You mind is still thinks you are fit as a month a ago but your body thinks otherwise. If you were doing heavy resistance, this type of shock makes your prone to injury.

carlos.jango71
09-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Well friend, At the start of exercise your body needs to compensate the oxygen deficit made by the use of extra oxygen by your body, so your heart rate may be slightly elevated, but will lower a little as exercise continues past the 5 minute mark. Unless unfit or overweight you won't cause any harm going over your max HR, although obviously for safety sake i dont recommend it. Maybe consult a personal trainer so he can do some simple fitness tests to get you on the right track?
as for other methods there are hundreds and all are different depending on your goals (weight loss, Fitness, specific fitness etc) and again consult someone who can help.