PDA

View Full Version : Nooby question on which style to pursue

naja
08-24-2007, 11:04 PM
I've decided to get back into martial arts.....I studied for about 6 months approximately 13 years ago. I'm 33 now, and I'm terribly out of shape, but that's another story... :-)

Anyway....I took a "blend" of kung fu/karate from this guy for about 6 months until his job relocated him to another state. I was one of two students he had, and the small class size seemed like a plus.

I found this forum and I though it might be a good place to ask this question that has been on my mind since I started thinking of studying again. I'm leaning more towards straight kung fu this go around, as from what I've read it's an art form that doesn't require as much straight out strength as karate. That's a plus for me, as I'm a small guy. I'm about 5'7" and 160lbs. I have decent upper body strength for my size, but my legs have always been weak in other sports, and they were weak when I took martial arts before. I'm wondering if there is a certain style that I should seek out (if possible) that would compliment my build, or if I should just go with an instructor that I feel comfortable with and see what becomes of the training.

Thanks for reading!

sunfist
08-25-2007, 04:26 AM
or if I should just go with an instructor that I feel comfortable with and see what becomes of the training.

You got it right there :)

The margin of variation in all styles is such that no style can be particularly suited to a single bodytype. Its our inherent desire to organise things that gives rise to all this quantification.

Try a lot of stuff out. The more you see, the better youll know what you are looking for.