PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Hung Gar Schools in MA

gunglihchuan
08-26-2007, 11:46 AM
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on one or both of these Hung Gar Schools in Massachusetts.

Boston Academy of Martial Arts
495 Canton Ave.
Milton, Ma 02186
Sifu Wanda J. White

Wu Li Academy
Sifu Mike Showstack
Taught at
Mr. C's Kenpo Karate
650 Plymouth St 15r
East Bridgewater
Sifu Showstack is a long time student of Master Yon Lee

mok
08-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Don't know about either one of these... but based on their videos, this one's very good:

SHAOLIN HUNG GAR MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY (sifu Winchell Woo) www.hunggarboston.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQr1SGVE8oE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAU893vvdrU

SIFU RON
09-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Don't know about either one of these... but based on their videos, this one's very good:

SHAOLIN HUNG GAR MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY (sifu Winchell Woo) www.hunggarboston.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQr1SGVE8oE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAU893vvdrU

Good , Kung Fu, Very Good . Strong and well executed. It is indeed an old style from China.

Thank you for sharing,
Sifu Ron ;)

chivalrous hall
09-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Nice, Kung Fu, Very nice. Strong and well executed. It is indeed an old style from China.

Thank you for sharing,
Sifu Ron ;)

Ok call me sdupid! whats nice about it?? :D

4 Dragons
09-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Calvin Chin in Newton is the top disciple of Kwong Tit Fu. It's a little softer than most Hung Gar though. This link explains it all...

http://www.calvinchin.com/mudong.htm

SIFU RON
09-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Ok call me sdupid! whats nice about it?? :D

Everything Stupid, it is very good, Kung Fu.....

Shaolinlueb
09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Calvin chin is a nice guy, I have met him and his students several times. good people, good kung fu.

Winchell woo, also good, but very um, whats the word with being nice. some of them seem to be into themselves too much sometimes.

SIFU RON
09-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Calvin chin is a nice guy, I have met him and his students several times. good people, good kung fu.

Winchell woo, also good, but very um, whats the word with being nice. some of them seem to be into themselves too much sometimes.

good point. ;)
words sometimes can be confusing, replace the word nice with very good. Such as very good Kung Fu. ;)

Many people are into themselves too much. It is the nature of the beast.

I respect all true Martail Artists, and appreciate this forum.

Reagrds, Sifu Ron

Shaolinlueb
09-06-2007, 11:11 AM
calvins people do have very good kung fu and very nice. he has some kids that have a lot of talent.

LGH
09-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Three of the earliest Hung gar school's in Boston were all students of Si-gung Lam Cho (Lam family). In the seventies three of his students moved to Boston.

Tong Kwok Wah, one of the most senior of all Lam Cho's students.

Lee Yat Ming, another of the senior members from the early Lam CHo students

Kwong Tit Fu, another Sifu under Lam CHo from this generation.

Tong Kwok Wah is still living in Boston, in his nineties, but only teaches privately, but his senior student, master Winchell Woo has a school, www.bostonhunggar.com, and another of his students,master Yon Lee teaches through Harvard University.

Lee Yat Ming passed away in 1981, and his school in Boston closed a few years later, but relocated to Richardson, Texas, in 1984, under senior student master Philip Ng, www.hungfist.com.

Kwong Tit Fu, also passed away, and his school is run by his senior student, master Calvin Chin, www.calvinchin.com

If you are looking for "Lam family" Hung gar then these are worth a check for sure. In any case it is a start to your inquiry for Hung gar in Boston.

chivalrous hall
09-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Everything Stupid, it is very good, Kung Fu.....

ok so no one wants to answer the question?

HungKuenPride
09-07-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm in Calvin Chin. As someone said before, the Hung Gar here is softer than say, Winchell Woo's Hung Gar. Focus is more put on natural energy and alignment. Sifu introduced a new class recently: Hung Gar Fundamentals. I think right now this class is also used for the lion dance class, but if you're into Hung Kuen, it's very good. Emphasis is put on drilling certain movements and their applications.

Hung gar
09-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Sigung was telling us about one of his kung fu brothers that got shoot in boston was that Lee Yat Ming

woodendummy33
12-31-2007, 11:58 AM
The Boston area is a good place to seek out Hung Gar instruction. Both of the schools you mentioned would be places to begin such a search, but you may want to dig deeper into the history of Hung Gar in Boston before making a commitment to any one club.

I studied Gung Fu in the early 70s, and I know Tang Kwok Wah, Winchell Woo, Yon Lee, Calvin Chin, and I knew Kwong Tit Fu and Lee Yat Ming - who apparently died of a heart attack while I was at the club he was teaching in (which was Tang Kwok Wah and Woo's club) and was not shot. The tale of a "shooting" relating in some fashion to Boston Gung Fu is a much older story that I will not detail here, and it happened way before Lee yat Ming came to Boston. In any event, all of these people were and are some of the very best Hung Gar practitioners you could find, anywhere.

I would offer the suggestion that if you are interested in a serious study of Hung Gar with an emphasis on fighting, and if you are interested in Hei Gung, to seek out Winchell Woo's current club in Boston Chinatown. And to the person who thought Woo's students were maybe too "full of themselves", I would simply explain that by stating that they ARE very good, and Woo sifu is a very good teacher whose pride in his students is paramount, and infectious. Winchell Woo is one of those rare people who has the substance, knowledge and confidence to stand and act on his beliefs. He has always been very open-minded and deeply interested in the progress of his students.

Yon Lee and Calvin Chin are very good too, and very nice people on top of that. You really cannot go wrong looking for good Hung Gar instruction in the area - but seek out these senior teachers rather than their students if possible. I say that out of respect for the source of this stuff, and I don't mean to imply that any such students would be inferior - I'm just advising to go as close to the source as possible if you want to get into this for the long haul, so to say.