PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu in Macau

The Xia
08-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Macau has a lot of temples.
Fu Jow Pai history states that it comes from a place called the Hoy Hung temple. In an interview with Gin Foon Mark, he says that he learned a Tiger Claw style from Hoy Jung Temple in Macau. Are these two different names for the same temple? Is the temple still around? Do they still do Kung Fu?
I also heard there was a Jook Lum Jee in Macau. Is it still around and do they still practice Kung Fu?
Any other temples in Macau that have done Kung Fu? Any of them that still do?
How's about non-temple schools? Lots of famous Kung Fu masters have found themselves in Macau, but I don't hear much about what's around today.

Eddie
08-27-2007, 01:14 AM
just last week I met a hung gar teacher who just moved down here from Maccau. Havent seen his kung fu yet, but its an old guy who seems very nice.

Apparently theres also some CLF over there

Vajramusti
08-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Ho Kam Ming, a long time and superb disciple of the late Ip man of wing chun is from Macao.
He has hada school there for since the late 50s. Augustine Fong his best known student is originally from Macao, but now in Tucson, Arizona. Two other good students of Ho Kam Ming- Lui Ming Fai and Tam Kam Hinh still teach in Macao at Master Ho's old school. Some of Master Ho's students have done very well in full contact matches.Master Ho does not take on new students but stays in touch with his next generation of students to a considerable extent.Master Ho has also trained some key students in Toronto, Canada as well..

joy chaudhuri

Eddie
08-29-2007, 11:52 AM
just last week I met a hung gar teacher who just moved down here from Maccau. Havent seen his kung fu yet, but its an old guy who seems very nice.

Apparently theres also some CLF over there

ok so this person I spoke of wasnt a hung ga teacher, but is apparently a CLF guy. Met him again today and had yum cha with him and my chow gar friend and he told us he did CLF and hungkuen. Im not to sure about his CLF tho, as when my friend asked him a few questions it all just seemed a little funny. anyways hes name is li cai 李財 (Lee Choy). The Xia, does that name sound familiar?

Nice and friendly guy tho.

The Xia
08-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Can't say I heard of him. The reason I posted this thread is because I don't hear much of anything coming out of Macau anymore. It's good to know that Ho Kam Ming's kwoon is alive and kicking. I'd be curious to hear what kind of Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut they have over there. There are some famous Hung Gar masters that have spent time in Macau. Chiu Kao and Leung Wah Chew come to mind.

Vajramusti
08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Xia- two of his top students are actually doing the teaching in Macao..

joy chaudhuri

Eddie
08-29-2007, 11:25 PM
just spoke to my friend, and he told me this mr Li's master is Lau Leung - my friend has heard of him before, parrently famous- but was also thinking hes more hung than clf.

Laukarbo
08-29-2007, 11:46 PM
just spoke to my friend, and he told me this mr Li's master is Lau Leung - my friend has heard of him before, parrently famous- but was also thinking hes more hung than clf.

Lau Leung or Lau Kar Leung?

Eddie
08-30-2007, 12:02 AM
lau leung. It know if it was lau ka leung- hes a friend of sifu chow.

but its someone in maccau tho

jmd161
08-30-2007, 02:25 AM
I'd be curious to hear what kind of Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut they have over there. There are some famous Hung Gar masters that have spent time in Macau. Chiu Kao and Leung Wah Chew come to mind.

My sifu is originally from Maccau and his family were known for their Choy Lay Fut. He went outside of the family with Hak Fu Mun, but said he learned some CLF as a child from his uncle and grandfather.

jefff:)